Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar scenario happen with a rental Class C in Alaska. Inside dual went flat and didn't realize it. Tread on the outside dual started to separate and limped into a tire place in Homer to purchase two new tires.

Rental place reimbursed me for the tire costs.

Damage has been done. It is only a matter of time.

Too bad because you could have prevented this from happening with a TPMS. Now the cost of two new tires will be far more than what the TPMS would have cost you in the beginning.

I don't move any one of my vehicles without having the TPMS on and working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I had a similar scenario happen with a rental Class C in Alaska. Inside dual went flat and didn't realize it. Tread on the outside dual started to separate and limped into a tire place in Homer to purchase two new tires.

Rental place reimbursed me for the tire costs.

Damage has been done. It is only a matter of time.

Too bad because you could have prevented this from happening with a TPMS. Now the cost of two new tires will be far more than what the TPMS would have cost you in the beginning.

I don't move any one of my vehicles without having the TPMS on and working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
How would that have prevented this from happening? OP said he knew the inside tire was flat and was forced to drive it to get it home. The tire would have been damaged the same as if he didn't have the TPMS.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I would have new steer tires the present steers would go yo the drives.

LEN

Exactly ..................

and tell your better half how wise you were to do that.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
mackwrench
Are you suggesting that the other tire in a dually configuration is okay if only one of the 2 is Run-flat?
Yes, as long as it had minimum psi.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post

How would that have prevented this from happening? OP said he knew the inside tire was flat and was forced to drive it to get it home. The tire would have been damaged the same as if he didn't have the TPMS.
Common sense would dictate NOT to drive on a flat inside dual EVEN if you know that it is flat which I am not sure whether he knew BEFORE he started out on this 12 mile trip or later.

If he knew it before then it is HIS fault for the outcome and the cost to replace both tires. If not and he had a TPMS then his TPMS would have warned him and common sense should have prevailed at that point.

Not rocket science, just common sense!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever the circumstances were that lead to the situation, I would suggest to discuss with a good tire shop if inspection is adequate or just to go with replacing both tires. If any question, I would replace both tires as the safety exposure and damage a failed tire can substantially exceed the cost of a tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #21

The OP discovered a flat tire and drove 12 miles on it. How does he know how long the tire was flat before he discovered it? Why did the tire go flat to begin with?
I wouldn't hesitate to replace all 4 tires NOW.
If in doubt, throw it out.
Lynn
Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I would say it depends. Driving 12 miles I assume you were not going that fast for that long. Should not have generated that much heat. To be safe you could take the tires to a tire shop and have the outside tire inspected.

If you replace one tire you should replace the entire axle. You make no mention of how long the tires have been on the unit and how much wear so putting new tires on one side and leaving old tires on the other side can be problematic.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #23

Unmount the tires. It's easy to damage them. The 0 psi tire might be ok because it was supported by the other tire. The question is what load was on the single? If there was less than 6k on the rear axle, the tires are probably fine, as a single dually tire can generally hold 3k at 80psi.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I would have new steer tires the present steers would go yo the drives.

LEN
My recommendation also. Not worth the risk.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Old 09-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The inside tire was driven on with 0 pressure, 20% low is too low, that's a throw away.
The outer tire was driven way overloaded since it was supporting double the normal weight.
They both should be replaced.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Thanks for all the replies.

Here is exactly what happened.

I took my rig in on Monday to have ALL FOUR rears replaced with brand new Sumitomos. I picked up my mh on Friday at the shop, but I didn't bother to check the air pressures. I assumed they were inflated to specs.

I drove it straight to my home that day, which was about 12 miles never going over 50 mph.

On Sunday morning, two days later, I decided to check all the pressures of my tires. The fronts were good, and the duals on the RR corners were also good. When I checked the LR duals, the outside had 80 psi, the inside were 0.

I inflated the all rear tires to 86 psi that morning. Later that afternoon, I checked all of them again. The RR duals held their pressure, the outside LR dual had 86, the inside were 60.

This morning, I checked the LR duals again. The outside held at 86, the inside was now down to 40.

So there's a slow leak somewhere. I didn't see any nails/screws on the tire, so I'm guessing there's a valve stem leak.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I drove it with 0 pressure. I'm just doing a "worse case scenario".

I should've checked all the tires prior to leaving the shop. I won't make that same mistake again.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW, great suggestion on moving the steer tires to the drive axle.

However, I bought 2 new tires for the fronts just last year, and it has barely 800 miles on them, so....
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote