Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outside tire 80 pounds/inside 0 - did I damage it ??

Don't want to get into details, but I ended up driving about 12 miles with my left corner duals in this manner.

The rig was pretty much empty (no water, camping gear, etc.), so I don't believe the outside tire was being overloaded. I made it home safely.

Did I severely shorten the life of the inflated tire ?? Has anybody encountered a situation where you just HAD to drive with one of your duals severely under inflated ??

Thanks in advance.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW, check your spare. I've neglected to check it in the beginning of the season and it was low.

Also, rotate your spare tire cover every so often to extend its life due to the damaging UV rays hitting only the top half.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Here is the conventional wisdom. This is from tire manufacturers, though I copied it from a site called something like RV University. I think ythe biggest issue is that you put weight on an uninflated tire which can cause sidewall damage:
"...Another leading cause of tire failure is under inflated tires. The load rating for a tire is only accurate if the tire is properly inflated. Under inflated tires cause extreme heat build up that leads to tire failure. The appearance of the tire can look normal but the internal damage is not visible and the tire can fail at any time without warning. If you find any tire 20 percent or more below the correct inflation pressure have it removed, demounted and inspected. Driving on a tire that is 20 percent or more under inflated can cause serious, permanent damage to the tire that may not be visible. Tires with internal damage from under inflation can fail catastrophically without warning."
Old 09-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Tires are cheap, compared to repairing the damage they can cause. I would take the unit in, have the outside tire demounted, & inspected. How fast were you driving during the 12 mile run? If you exceeded 60mph a lot of heat could have generated.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
Don't want to get into details, but I ended up driving about 12 miles with my left corner duals in this manner.
The rig was pretty much empty (no water, camping gear, etc.), so I don't believe the outside tire was being overloaded. I made it home safely.
Did I severely shorten the life of the inflated tire ?? Has anybody encountered a situation where you just HAD to drive with one of your duals severely under inflated ??
Thanks in advance.
Peacekeeper6
You very likely overloaded and damaged the inflated tire.
However any reputable tire shop can inspect it "inside and out" and tell you whether or not it's still usable/safe.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
This is considered Run-flat. .... More than likely tire was overheated and possibly damage. Large truck fleet I was employed (Penske) with had a 20% policy, if technician checked a tire that was 20% low, it was changed. OP was 100% low
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Buy 2 new tires

No one is going to be able to tell you whether the remaining tire is any good or not. Buy 2 new tires. That remaining tire will fail, and the cost of the tire is far less than the damage it will cause, when it comes up through the floor of your motorhome. I was in the trucking business for too long, and saw too many tires fail after the situation you just described.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

I would replace both tires, not much logic to inviting a future problem involving significant body damage.
Right now is the time for you to invest in a TPMS, better late than never.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

I had one on my Class C have a valve failure going to the Finger Lakes. Had the valve replaced and didn't show any sign of damage and one the way home had the tread come completely off damaging the under carriage. So I would say DON'T trust it, play it safe.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #10

Tires are like brakes, keep them in top shape. Replace both.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #11

I had that happen to me.... only I drove about 5 miles. I had a tire place remove the tire and check it out. When he was airing it back up, the side wall zippered--- exploded. I'm glad it wasn't on the coach and going down teh road. I suggest changing both tires.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
This is considered Run-flat. .... More than likely tire was overheated and possibly damage. Large truck fleet I was employed (Penske) with had a 20% policy, if technician checked a tire that was 20% low, it was changed. OP was 100% low
mackwrench
Are you suggesting that the other tire in a dually configuration is okay if only one of the 2 is Run-flat?
Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #13

Outside tire 80 pounds/inside 0 - did I damage it ??

There is a federal procedure for inspection. Make sure wherever you take it will follow the procedure. The first place I took mine was a truck tire dealer but they were clueless. Finally found somewhere that followed the procedure. I didn't run mine at zero though.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I would have new steer tires the present steers would go yo the drives.

LEN