Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Over 40' long...too long?

We are planning to full-time within the next few months. We have a 38' 2000 Adventurer with one slide which we bought nearly 4 years ago. We have taken it for several long trips and really like it but are seriously thinking we would be happier with more slide-outs (minimum 3) and a diesel engine (for power and storage). We have done (and are still doing) a lot of research and have looked at quite a few pre-owned coaches. As a result, we have narrowed our search and have seriously looked at (among others) an American Eagle, a Tiffin Phaeton and a Discovery in the 2004-2007 model years (we need to stay under $100k and would like to stay well under that number!). Are there manufacturers and models we should stay away from? Also, how much more difficult is it to find places to stay with a 43' coach than a 40' coach? We plan to vary our life in that we will be at our favorite Florida location for about 4 months but will be doing extensive driving and stopping throughout the country (stopping at our kids' and other family member's places as well as parks, etc.). We are seriously looking into some workamping, too. I really appreciate this forum with all the valuable wisdom and insight the members have!

sweetgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
We moved from a 34' gas to a 42' diesel, both with 3 slides, and love all the space. I especially enjoy the large amount of basement storage! We have not had any problem finding places to stay. We went to Alaska with our 34' in 2009 and plan on going back to Alaska in 2015 with the 42' I know that we will not be able to stay in all the provincial parks but there are lots of parks that have space for 42-43 footers.

Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have never had a problem to find a place to stay in our 45 foot coach. I can even fit in many SP and NP facilities, but I find that commercial parks generally have more sites available that are larger so we can enjoy our patio side of the coach more.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
In general, the larger coaches (40 and over) may have a bit more difficulty negotiating tighter turns in some parks (a few FL State Parks come to mind). Everything is a compromise. You'll need to decide what your priorities are ... maneuverability vs. living/storage space. My next purchase will probably be a 4-slide 40 footer without bath-and-a-half (I want the storage and not the bath).
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

You looked at three good brands ....American Coach, Tiffin, Winnibago. You should add Newmar to your list also.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over 40' often means a tag axle. Lots of goodness to a tag, but also increases the price.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Over 40' long...too long?

For all practical purposes, you won't have any more difficulty with a 42ft than you did with a 38.

We've run across perhaps 6 campgrounds or RV Parks in two years that we had tentatively planned to use but then learned that they could not accommodate us. In every case the limit exceeded was in the 30ft range, so it wasn't even an almost. We've had no difficulty at any place we've actually gone to.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi ,

Why not look at the 38 footer Winnebago Adventurer. It has 3 slides and one is a full wall slide. I have a "14 35 footer and it has 3 slides including a full wall slide.
The only problem that I can think of is manevuring (sp) in the campground with trees etc.
Some campgrounds limit size to 35' put you probaly could get into a pull through site.

Good Luck!

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Thanks so much to everyone! It is so good to hear we will probably be no more handicapped by a 42' coach than we are with a 38"...and we have really not had any trouble so far. Really appreciate your thoughts!
sweetgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
I can't imagine any real issues if you do a little pre planning. I am currently a work kamper at Rutledge Lake RV park near Asheville and see more 40-43 foot rigs that shorther ones. Plus I have a 40 ft plus tow a 20 enclosed car hauler and have had no major issues. I am leaving here in 3 weeks and have a trip through New England planned and all of the parks I have reservations at have sites long enough to handle my rig without unhooking my trailer.
Be safe and enjoy the extra room

2005 Winnebago Vectra, 20 foot enclosed car hauler with a Mini Cooper S convertible inside, look for the big Betty Boop on the back,and two Westies Maggie and Buddy.
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote