Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Over drive

Just got back from our first trip in my new 2012 34' allegro red qfa.. We had a great time Bryce city tenn. motorcycling everyday. I have a dp with a 6 speed transmission, only problem it was in 5th gear the whole trip except one time I ran up to 6ph

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might be better to run at a higher rpm for break in than too slow in 6th although the Allison should take care of that on it's own.
Next time try pushing the "mode" button, the trans should shift up earlier.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

When I hit 65mph it shifted to overdrive.. So I know before I was going to slow at 60mph, but I could never get back to 6th again. Even when I went up to 70mph.. What's going on?? I tried feathering the gas peddle, hitting D on the shifter, pushing the up arrow. Nothing made it shift to OVERDRIVE
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What is your GW and what eng (size, HP, torque) do you have, that might explain it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #5

I'd call tiffin and tell them what's going on. They should be able to tell you if everthing is OK. If you're not satisfied with their answer, try calling Allison. What you are describing does not sound right to me.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #6

correct, it should have shifted up from what you describe.
Might check to see if any codes are showing.
might have been too hot, or something else putting it in restriction mode.
If you lucky, it will have stored a code.
Remember, codes will clear after "X" amount of starts..
Bottom line, if it's new, take it back.... The Allison is a pretty good transmission..
I believe if you have the push button trans, if you start, or key on, push the up and down arrow at the same time.. It will display codes, and if equipped, tell you if your low on trans fluid etc.. then I think the mode button will increment stored codes.. D1---- or D2---- up to 5..Pushing the D N or R will take it out of diag mode. if you would like more info, let me know, I'll e-mail you the Allison cheat sheet... 8-)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
correct, it should have shifted up from what you describe.
Might check to see if any codes are showing.
might have been too hot, or something else putting it in restriction mode.
If you lucky, it will have stored a code.
Remember, codes will clear after "X" amount of starts..
Bottom line, if it's new, take it back.... The Allison is a pretty good transmission..
I believe if you have the push button trans, if you start, or key on, push the up and down arrow at the same time.. It will display codes, and if equipped, tell you if your low on trans fluid etc.. then I think the mode button will increment stored codes.. D1---- or D2---- up to 5..Pushing the D N or R will take it out of diag mode. if you would like more info, let me know, I'll e-mail you the Allison cheat sheet... 8-)

If you don't mind, I would like a copy of the cheat sheet also...
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Remember, to accurately use the Allison diagnostic codes your tranny will need to be at user level temperature ie: 100 degree plus.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #9

Allison info I find useful ...
• Normal driving- Best fuel economy
– Select “D” and “Mode On”
• Performance
– “Mode Off”
– For mountain driving select lower gears to
maintain 2000+ engine RPM. ( I like 1800-1900 RPM )
• Hill climbing on hot days
– Keep RPMs high to cool engine

DRIVING TIPS WITH THE ALLISON MD3060 3000MH TRANSMISSION
When driving under normal road conditions, the DRIVE mode is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. The MODE switch should be set to ON for economy mode but MODE off should be used when climbing hills and when extra performance is needed.
The display screen on the shift control pad will indicate the highest selected gear for the transmission. When mountainous or up and down terrain conditions occur, you should manually select a lower gear, preferably lower than 5th gear and turn OFF the mode switch. This can be done at any road speed by pressing the down arrow repeatedly until the desired gear is indicated in the window of the shifter pad and then pressing the MODE button. When your road speed decreases to a safe point, the transmission will downshift at a higher RPM than normal. This will limit the use of overdrive while pulling
hills, which can produce excessive heat build-up in the transmission, and it keeps the engine operating at peak horse power and performance.
With the MT 643 and T-handle shifter, simply shift to a lower gear selection to keep the RPM’s in the upper range. The transmission will not shift into a lower gear until it is safe for it to do so.
When ascending a grade, maintain engine speed to within 400 - 500 RPM of governed engine speed. Governed speed will be 2400-2500 RPM depending on your engine model. Road speed may decrease, but the engine will be at it's peak in the power curve. It is especially important to monitor your water temperature gauge when climbing hills. Keep in mind, it is not unusual for the temperature to rise, especially in hot weather. If the gauge reaches the red zone or if the temperature warning light on the gauge panel should come on, reduce your road speed and shift to the next lower gear and keep your tachometer within 500 RPM of engine governed speed. In many cases this will stabilize the water temperature. If the
temperature gauge continues to rise, pull over to the side of the road and shift the transmission into neutral. Bring the engine RPM to 1,700-2,000 RPM until the temperature drops down into the normal range. This should occur in a relatively short period of time. If the temperature gauge does not begin to drop and stays in the red zone or continues to rise, shut down the engine and allow it to cool. After the engine is allowed to cool, check the fluid level in the reservoir and add a 50/50 coolant and water mixture if needed.
A good "rule of thumb" for descending grades is to never use a higher gear than was used to climb the same or similar grade. Try to keep the engine within 500 RPM of governed speed. This will give the best engine braking and reduce the need to use the service brakes. Select a gear that will keep you at a safe speed with minimal brake application. Never ride your brakes when descending a grade since excessive brake heat will build up and your brakes could fade leaving you with little or no stopping power. If your vehicle is equipped with a exhaust brake, This will also aid in slowing your vehicle on a down hill grade. With the exhaust brake switch in the ON position, when your foot is released from the accelerator, *[ the transmission select number will change to “2” ]. The exhaust brake will engage and the transmission will begin to down shift as soon as road and engine speed will safely allow. This will produce a slowing effect and will remain engaged until
either the exhaust brake switch is turned off, the accelerator is depressed or the transmission shifts to second gear. If your initial speed is high, you may have to step on the brake to slow the vehicle before the transmission will down-shift from
6th gear to 5 th gear. This is normal.

* [ if it is programmed to do so ]
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Wouldn't a pyrometer be useful as well? My dad has one on his DP and he swears by it. It lets him know how hard the engine an tranny are working and keeps everything in good condition.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe
Allison info I find useful ...
• Normal driving- Best fuel economy
– Select “D” and “Mode On”
• Performance
– “Mode Off”
– For mountain driving select lower gears to
maintain 2000+ engine RPM. ( I like 1800-1900 RPM )
• Hill climbing on hot days
– Keep RPMs high to cool engine

DRIVING TIPS WITH THE ALLISON MD3060 3000MH TRANSMISSION
When driving under normal road conditions, the DRIVE mode is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. The MODE switch should be set to ON for economy mode but MODE off should be used when climbing hills and when extra performance is needed.
The display screen on the shift control pad will indicate the highest selected gear for the transmission. When mountainous or up and down terrain conditions occur, you should manually select a lower gear, preferably lower than 5th gear and turn OFF the mode switch. This can be done at any road speed by pressing the down arrow repeatedly until the desired gear is indicated in the window of the shifter pad and then pressing the MODE button. When your road speed decreases to a safe point, the transmission will downshift at a higher RPM than normal. This will limit the use of overdrive while pulling
hills, which can produce excessive heat build-up in the transmission, and it keeps the engine operating at peak horse power and performance.
With the MT 643 and T-handle shifter, simply shift to a lower gear selection to keep the RPM’s in the upper range. The transmission will not shift into a lower gear until it is safe for it to do so.
When ascending a grade, maintain engine speed to within 400 - 500 RPM of governed engine speed. Governed speed will be 2400-2500 RPM depending on your engine model. Road speed may decrease, but the engine will be at it's peak in the power curve. It is especially important to monitor your water temperature gauge when climbing hills. Keep in mind, it is not unusual for the temperature to rise, especially in hot weather. If the gauge reaches the red zone or if the temperature warning light on the gauge panel should come on, reduce your road speed and shift to the next lower gear and keep your tachometer within 500 RPM of engine governed speed. In many cases this will stabilize the water temperature. If the
temperature gauge continues to rise, pull over to the side of the road and shift the transmission into neutral. Bring the engine RPM to 1,700-2,000 RPM until the temperature drops down into the normal range. This should occur in a relatively short period of time. If the temperature gauge does not begin to drop and stays in the red zone or continues to rise, shut down the engine and allow it to cool. After the engine is allowed to cool, check the fluid level in the reservoir and add a 50/50 coolant and water mixture if needed.
A good "rule of thumb" for descending grades is to never use a higher gear than was used to climb the same or similar grade. Try to keep the engine within 500 RPM of governed speed. This will give the best engine braking and reduce the need to use the service brakes. Select a gear that will keep you at a safe speed with minimal brake application. Never ride your brakes when descending a grade since excessive brake heat will build up and your brakes could fade leaving you with little or no stopping power. If your vehicle is equipped with a exhaust brake, This will also aid in slowing your vehicle on a down hill grade. With the exhaust brake switch in the ON position, when your foot is released from the accelerator, *[ the transmission select number will change to “2” ]. The exhaust brake will engage and the transmission will begin to down shift as soon as road and engine speed will safely allow. This will produce a slowing effect and will remain engaged until
either the exhaust brake switch is turned off, the accelerator is depressed or the transmission shifts to second gear. If your initial speed is high, you may have to step on the brake to slow the vehicle before the transmission will down-shift from
6th gear to 5 th gear. This is normal.

* [ if it is programmed to do so ]
I talked to Freightliner today and they told me to push the mode button and a lite should come and it did.. All is well its slips in 6th gear now no problem. Thanks for the information
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #12

Are you saying that with the 'mode' off it won't go into 6th gear and Allison said this was normal?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Excuse me, my bad, should have been Freightliner not Allison. But still....
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett View Post
I talked to Freightliner today and they told me to push the mode button and a light should come and it did.. All is well its slips in 6th gear now no problem. Thanks for the information
I believe I said to try that in post #2.

BTW: 5th and 6th are both overdrives, 4 is 1:1 through the trans. 5th is .75:1 and 6th is .65:1.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote