Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

OVER DRIVE ** ON or OFF

Being new with a Class A 36 ft. fleetwood with a v10 ,i have a silly question. I tow a Jeep G.C. 4 down. When should i take the tranny out of O.D. [push the button in] Taking off from a dead stop ? Going up or down hill ? Whats the right thing to do ? I would appreciate the feed back !!! Thank You ALL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I leave the cruise on until I get to uphill areas where it might kick down, then I turn it off. I have a 37s Pace Arrow w/v-10. This works for me. Eddie Elk.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

I pull a Dodge Ram 1500 and have never even used the OD button to take it out of overdrive
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I leave the cruise on until I get to uphill areas where it might kick down, then I turn it off. I have a 37s Pace Arrow w/v-10. This works for me. Eddie Elk.
He's talking Overdrive not Cruise Control
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Spine Fusion.....Overdrive won't have any affect from a dead stop, so need to turn it off then. I'm guessing on steep grades you won't have the power to keep it in Overdive and it will downshift. It's the smaller rolling hills or slight/long grades that you'll have to pay attention to taking it out of Overdrive.

A good rule to follow when you think you should shift out of Overdrive is to try and accelerate. If you can't accelerate, you're lugging and could be detrimental to your transmission over the long run. You don't have to stomp the throttle, just roll on the throttle a little, if nothing happens, you should downshift (turn off OD) until the road levels off. This will probably happen infrequently.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the OP is talking about the Tow/Haul mode on a Ford.
I would think if you're towing it should be engaged in stop and go traffic and general traveling except on the flattest of roads.
It was designed for that purpose to alleviate improper shift changes while hauling a load.
That's just my two bits...Others may think differently.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The rule for overdrive is fairly simple.. Turn it on.

When you start out from a dead stop overdrive is disabled anyway so there is no need to turn it off.. As the transmission runs through the gears OD is disabled so there is no need to turn it off.

Once the transmission hits top gear OD is activated, IF it is turned on.

IF, you are crusing down the freeway and the tranny is staying in the same gear, the tac needle looks like it is stuck in position .. Leave it on

If, on the other hand the tranny is shifting up/down/up/down, the tac is jumping up (As the tranny shifts down) down/up down (not a wiggle but a serious jump) TURN IT OFF.

In short, anytime the transmission holds top gears without "Hunting".. You leave it on.. If the tranny starts "Hunting" for the proper gear, turn it off.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The rule for overdrive is fairly simple.. Turn it on.

When you start out from a dead stop overdrive is disabled anyway so there is no need to turn it off.. As the transmission runs through the gears OD is disabled so there is no need to turn it off.

Once the transmission hits top gear OD is activated, IF it is turned on.

IF, you are crusing down the freeway and the tranny is staying in the same gear, the tac needle looks like it is stuck in position .. Leave it on

If, on the other hand the tranny is shifting up/down/up/down, the tac is jumping up (As the tranny shifts down) down/up down (not a wiggle but a serious jump) TURN IT OFF.

In short, anytime the transmission holds top gears without "Hunting".. You leave it on.. If the tranny starts "Hunting" for the proper gear, turn it off.
What he said
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I leave my OD off if in town and stop and go traffic, easier on the brakes, I leave it off when I go up mountains, save the transmission from 'hunting' and lugging. I leave it off when going down mountains to save the brakes and possibly someones life and actually I may manually shift down to 2nd or even 1st gear to save the brakes and preventing it from upshifting just as I'm applying the brakes.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #10

I believe that the tow/haul simply changes the shift pattern of the tranny. It delays the up shifts, stays in lower gear longer, and shortens the down shifts; ie it will try and down shift as soon as you come off the gas. Good for driving in traffic or from stopping the tranny from gear hunting. Not sure how if affects the torque converte lock up, I'm really fuzzy on that.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave ours on all the time. I don't have a problem with OD but cruise is a different story. OD is a different higher gear for for flatland cruising. Less RPM's translates to better MPG. It will engage and disengage automaticly. If conditions are such that OD is feasible then it shifts to OD. If conditions require more RPM's to maintain speed then it will downshift, again, automaticly. There should be no reason to turn on or off. Do you monkey with OD on your daily driver? Probably not. Same senario. My 2 cents worth with a penny change.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
How about checking the owners manual?????? Or checking with Ford rather than getting a bunch of guesses.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no "right" way to use the OD-off button.

If you don't use it, while climbing hills, the transmission (if functioning properly) will down-shift at it's pre-set speed and load.

If you use it, BE SURE to re-engage the OD when you get beyond the up or down hill that made you turn the OD off. If you forget, you are wasting gas (reducing MPG).

There is one truth about manually disengaging the OD. If you disengage early, you will reduce the period when the engine is operating (lugging) at lower RPM's...that will decrease transmission temps...that will reduce temperature caused wear on the fluid.

I use the OD Off button on my Workhorse...I also used it on my Dodge 3500. And, I used it on my F350. If used propely, it really helps to keep your speed constant on hilly roads and save your breaks.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
How about checking the owners manual?????? Or checking with Ford rather than getting a bunch of guesses.
The post about Turn it off if the transmission is constantly hunting for the proper gear.... Right out of the manual.