Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Over night parking procedure

This will be my first time traveling with a toad. My question is one of stopping at a camp ground over night. If I have a pull through site do I need to:

1. Put jacks down if I put slide out?
2. Disconnect my TOAD if I put jacks down?

Just trying to do as little as possible for an over night stay.

jazzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always put the slides out for stability even if the site is level.

I don't disconnect the toad unless I am raising the rear end quite a bit. As you raise the rear the toad will be pulled forward. After a certain point you will putting a lifting pressure on the hitch and I don't want to do that so I unhook. That doesn't happen often though. Very few sites are that unlevel.

Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
All manufacturers (to the best of my knowledge) recommend that your jacks be deployed and the coach leveled before putting the slide outs out. You should also bring the slide outs back in before raising the jacks.

No you do not have to unhook your toad as long as you don't have to back up.
Dean & Heidi, 2011 Newmar Mountain Aire DP
deanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would put the jacks down before putting out the slides but as far as unhooking the toad, I don't see a reason for that. That of course is unless your WAY out of level but I doubt that would be happening if you're in campground.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Monaco and Entegra manuals say slides out first then level...do whatever your manuf recommends. As far as how much effort you put out setting up for an overnight, it's really up the individual taste/comfort level/how tired they are.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I keep the toad hooked up, but turn the key to "off" since it uses a bit of electrical power when in the first position, that allows the steering wheel to turn.

Understand Monaco and a few other coaches say to extend the slides first...but, IMHO, that makes no sense. I would think you would want to get level, then, with no stress on the slides, extend them.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
We have never unhooked the towd just for an overnight. Our motorhome recommends level before slides out. After parking, we idle the towd for 15 minutes or so to top off the battery and then turn ignition to off and transmission in Park.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
We put the jacks down to take the wiggle out, that's it. Our coach is pretty functional with the slide in.

Regarding the toad, I would rarely disconnect it, but we have one of those we must turn the key off when not traveling too. I'm generally a little concerned about that (hooked up, key off), as with the key turned off, there's potential to take off with the toad steering locked! To avoid that, I generally will drape the toad keys over the steering wheel, or insert the coach keys through the toad key ring, then into the ignition making it impossible to turn without removing the toad keys...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always put the jacks down unless there is some specific reason not too, e.g. we are sitting in mud or something. Obviously we try to avoid that sort of situation in a campsite, but sometimes it happens. We don't disconnect the toad unless we plan to drive it, but once again, there may be circumstances where the rear end is going to be raised enough that disconnecting the tow bar may be wise. It takes a fairly extreme condition, e.g. the back end of the coach is hanging out over an obvious hill, so it's not somethng you need to get out an measure each time you set up. It should be fairly obvious.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Go to just about any RV Show and you will see just about every Motorhome with the slides out and the jacks are not down. Then there will be thousands of people walking thru them kids jumping on everything including things in the slide outs. For one night at a campground without the jacks down and the toad hooked up I dont see a problem. Just my opinion I could be wrong you milage may vary.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hardly ever unhook the toad when overnighting. I level the coach, then put out the slides.

I start the toad and let it idle for about 15 min then I shift into park. My insurance policy so I don't try pulling the toad while in park is: I take the toad key's and put them on the ignition to the motorhome.

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We have an Entegra Aspire and the instructions are slides out then jacks down. On level ground it probably doesn't matter but if the ground is not level the coach does flex when the jacks level it. The slides then are are stressed running in or out.

We tow a Kia Soul and don't disconnect unless we're going to use it. It has an interesting key position. The key can be turned to the off position and not lock the steering, however if you pull the key out the steering locks. Putting the key back in does not unlock the steering until you turn it to on. Then back to off and you're good to go. The Koreans do things a little different but at least this way the ignition system is totally off. Now locking the doors with the key in the ignition is an interesting feat!
Terry & Gloria O
Midland, Texas
2012 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ, 2013 Ford Edge
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
I like to unhook the toad each time. In the case of an emergency, it's ready to go with no delay.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
This will be my first time traveling with a toad. My question is one of stopping at a camp ground over night. If I have a pull through site do I need to:

1. Put jacks down if I put slide out? (More stable but not absolutely necessary if the site is level.)
2. Disconnect my TOAD if I put jacks down? (No)

Just trying to do as little as possible for an over night stay.

If it's level you can just pull in, park, eat & sleep.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote