Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ceeja, some men you just can't reach. I think you found one.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #44

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Saddle, some men you just can't reach.
I think you found one.
That's why there is an "ignore" button on the CP.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most would have understood after 50 years is it? Oh, that is your line, most realize you have not used the ignore button, but I will. Now, pull in to that weigh station...ha.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #46

In California, many of the scales have a sign that says "No Pickups".

If you are driving a U-Haul truck then you must stop.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
a disscusion was started in a FB group i'm in over stopping at weight stations. a member was claiming he was flashed by signs to stop so he pulled in and ended up getting a ticket for being over weight. Just wondering how often this happens? I know once we are loaded and have the trailer hitched up we are going to be over on weight and defiantly over on length in most states.
Did they say what state this was in?

I know that in most states, the FMCSA rules exempt RV's from the weight rules commercial vehicles are having to abide by.

When you see the flashing lights directing you to pull in a weigh station, it's because the system has no idea you are an RV, and only reacted to the weight of your vehicle.

RV's should never pull into these stations and will normally piss off (DOT) when they do, because they are now dealing with what they consider a less than competent operator, and may treat you as such.

As far as a weight ticket in an RV, in most states this is unheard of because of the exemptions.

I think most of these stories are fake, and feed on our ignorance of the real law.

We should all know these laws, get the publications from almost any truck stop and read it, and pass on the truth, not this(BS)....

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
How many years is it that most would have understood?
This is badgering and non-productive.

We are after valuable information that we all can share do you think?

I Know the last time I read the federal motor carrier hand book, it spelled out specifically that RV's are exempt from the weight rules non-RV operators are to follow, and this was in all states.

So times have changed since then, rules may have changed and I want to know that I'm operating within those rules, or not.

The weight rule once allowed an RV operator to load up what ever he or she wanted in their rig without regard to the manufactures standards.

I know too many people took this to such an extreme then and still now, and pose great safety issues for us all.

I want to know if and when states crack down on this practice. Most of us are pretty heavy when we are dragging our toys to and from.

Most of us don't get stupid with pushing the limits, as long as we know what those limits are.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #49

Quote:
a disscusion was started in a FB group i'm in over stopping at weight stations. a member was claiming he was flashed by signs to stop so he pulled in and ended up getting a ticket for being over weight. Just wondering how often this happens? I know once we are loaded and have the trailer hitched up we are going to be over on weight and defiantly over on length in most states.
defiantly?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #50

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
This is badgering and non-productive.

We are after valuable information that we all can share do you think?

I Know the last time I read the federal motor carrier hand book, it spelled out specifically that RV's are exempt from the weight rules non-RV operators are to follow, and this was in all states.

So times have changed since then, rules may have changed and I want to know that I'm operating within those rules, or not.

The weight rule once allowed an RV operator to load up what ever he or she wanted in their rig without regard to the manufactures standards.

I know too many people took this to such an extreme then and still now, and pose great safety issues for us all.

I want to know if and when states crack down on this practice. Most of us are pretty heavy when we are dragging our toys to and from.

Most of us don't get stupid with pushing the limits, as long as we know what those limits are.

DTW
As I said earlier, The signs I saw were directing RV and those towing for an safety inspection, just happen to be located in a commercial weigh station, or a rest area... weight monitoring would be a secondary thing.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.......a FB group I’m in....... a member was claiming he was flashed by signs to stop so he pulled in and ended up getting a ticket.......

In the world of information, “a guy on the internet said.....” does NOT count as a reliable source.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 AM   #52

I gained some knowledge regarding weigh stations from this thread, but the entertainment value far exceeded that.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
I gained some knowledge regarding weigh stations from this thread, but the entertainment value far exceeded that.

Simply put, just do not stop.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
In the world of information, “a guy on the internet said.....” does NOT count as a reliable source.

I know. That's why I came here I came here. There are many well versed full time folks here that know the truth, or where to find it. Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #55

As others have said, no need to stop. I have a class A CDL, the weigh stations are for those with a DOT number. If one was to follow the sign that says "over 10K pounds, pull in", 3/4 ton SRW private pickups and above would be required to pull in. That is not required. My personal 1 ton DRW pickup (14,000 gvw) triggers the "enter weigh station" sign all the time, I never go in, nor am I required to. I trigger the same sign when I drive fire trucks, don't stop ever.

If some DOT guys chases you down, pull over. I've never had that issue driving over most of the country. You are not a commercial vehicle, all the signs and scales are for them. If somebody is scared to drive by a scale in an RV, you might as well get a DOT medical and run a log book, and go full scale off the deep end.

As far a the AG check entering Commiefornia, that stop is for everybody. I'm not a fan of big brother in CA, but every time I've gone in the state, the workers were polite, friendly, and efficient. No biggie there at all.
johndfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndfd View Post
As others have said, no need to stop. I have a class A CDL, the weigh stations are for those with a DOT number. If one was to follow the sign that says "over 10K pounds, pull in", 3/4 ton SRW private pickups and above would be required to pull in. That is not required. My personal 1 ton DRW pickup (14,000 gvw) triggers the "enter weigh station" sign all the time, I never go in, nor am I required to. I trigger the same sign when I drive fire trucks, don't stop ever.

If some DOT guys chases you down, pull over. I've never had that issue driving over most of the country. You are not a commercial vehicle, all the signs and scales are for them. If somebody is scared to drive by a scale in an RV, you might as well get a DOT medical and run a log book, and go full scale off the deep end.

As far a the AG check entering Commiefornia, that stop is for everybody. I'm not a fan of big brother in CA, but every time I've gone in the state, the workers were polite, friendly, and efficient. No biggie there at all.

Up in northwest Iowa coming out of south Dakota I have seen weigh station signs that say all RVs must stop, now I have never seen it lit up but it is there. I have never heard of anybody getting a ticket for over weight but a friend of mine was 3 feet over length in Iowa, he got a ticket and had to drop his second trailer (motorcycle) where he was at and pull his 5th wheel to Nebraska, then go back to Iowa and get his MC trailer, he was over length in Nebraska as well but didn't get stopped.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight