Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Overfilled grey tank when sanitizing OOPS

Doing a fresh water system sanitizing on our new to us MH.

I drained the fresh tank, filled it 3/4 full, added 5oz of bleach then ran it thru all the lines. The next day i would drain the tank, do a couple of fresh water flushes to get the remaining bleach out. I fill the tank with fresh water and proceed to turn on shower, kitchen and bath sink. As i go out to the wet bay water is pouring from in back of the panel. I actuall thought i broke a line or did something. Had to leave due to an appointment and much thinking of what to do next. Next day i go back no water dripping... thats good, turn on the pump still all good. I go inside and turn on one faucet at a time and very soon the water is leaking again. Not as bad as before but still leaking. Now i'm taking off whatever i can to see where its comping from. Nothing wet under kitchen sink, bath sink or shower. Still hasn't dawned on me that the grey tank is overflowing at its top and running down everwhere. Our last coach when the grey got full and we didn't realize it the shower tub wolud start to fill. I go out to the wet bay where it's leaking from remover 4 screws to lower a 4' long cover holding outlets, coax connection, outside shower, etc. etc.. Now I can see water flowing from the top down the tank side and on to the cover.

All of a sudden i think to open the grey dump and within a minute the flow stops and i fell much relieved. Didn't even want to think about fixing a line burried behind, under and over places i couldn't get to.

Put everything back as it was, didn't do any damage to anything and learned something new about our rig.

Thinking more about this it is a safer design to overflow outside but why an overflow tube of some sort rather it run over outlets, coax connections etc. in the wet bay.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

i hope you had more bleach than 5 oz in the tank.
it should be about 4 oz per 15 gallons of water.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Though it sounds like you were challenged for quite a while, thanks for sharing so that others may remember to check the gray water tank level when sanitizing!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

Good lesson for all of us! Thank you for sharing!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Waste tanks do NOT have 'overflows'

Grey tank overflowing/leaking out top should NOT happen

Sounds like it was leaking past 'grommet' used on top of tank to seal off drain line from sink etc.
Grommet loose, shifted or not fully set in place (have a grove that tank lip goes in then pipe slips thru grommet.)
Used on grey/galley and black waste tanks

Some use glued fittings......in that case you have a cracked fitting/tank/pipe

No overflows used like fresh water tanks
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Waste tanks do NOT have 'overflows'

Grey tank overflowing/leaking out top should NOT happen

Sounds like it was leaking past 'grommet' used on top of tank to seal off drain line from sink etc.
Grommet loose, shifted or not fully set in place (have a grove that tank lip goes in then pipe slips thru grommet.)
Used on grey/galley and black waste tanks

Some use glued fittings......in that case you have a cracked fitting/tank/pipe

No overflows used like fresh water tanks
Okay now i see what i can't see.

As it is on the top and would be a real PITA to correct it will stay as it is.... for now. I will be more careful monitoring my grey tank. The front cover that i got to drop a few inches i could see a waste line near the top edge going into the tank top. That didn't appear to be where the overflow was coming from.

Only negative would be traveling with an almost full grey tank which we never do and having it slosh around and come out the top, always dump before.

Maybe one day if i have nothing on my to do list, Ha Ha I'll look into dropping that cover again and take a better look at the waste line as i now know what i'm looking at. If the tank needed to come out to fix it, thats not gonna happen. I was just so glad to have found the problem and its cause i just wanted to be done and get ready for our trip.

Thanks for the reply and picture to educate me.

Bruce
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, led, tank