Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

We have a 2003 Winnebago journey. It seems every time we start climbing a hill the hot buzzer comes on. We pull over and wait a few minutes and then then motor cools down and we continue on. Is this normal with a 330 cat? We just got this unit a few months ago so we are still learning.

Darlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Have you tried downshifting to raise the engine RPMs?

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
I have same rig as you. As stated, downshift and keep rpms up. I also, on an annual basis wash off the radiator from under the bed. Basically, I wet it down, spray with a degreaser or simple green and then thoroughly rinse off.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Darlee......More than likely, your radiator (which you can see from the rear engine door) and your Charge Air Cooler is clogged externally with dirt. The Charge Air Cooler is what cools your exhaust before it's pump back into your engine. The two units are sandwiched together, one in front of the other. The Charge Air Cooler is the one closest to your engine fan.

On your coach, you can usually lift the bed to access the engine. The problem is you can only see one side of the Charge Air Cooler. The other problem is the dirt collects on the side of the radiator and Charge Air Cooler that face each other. These sides are almost impossible to access without removing the units.

My sister has a 2004 Meridian, which is a sister coach to yours. They had flushed the radiator and Charge Air Cooler from the sides they could see, but was still overheating.

With the bed lifted and the engine cover removed, you'll see a plastic cover over the top of the Charge Air Cooler. This cover (shroud) is where you need to access the two cooling units. On my sister's coach, they cut out a section of the plastic shroud about 4" wide and 12 " long over the top of the two. This will give you some limited access to the cooling unit sides that face each other.

Save the plastic piece and rivet it to a piece of sheet metal that is about 1" larger in size than the piece you cut out. You can than reinstall the plastic/sheet metal piece with screws when done. Take a look into the opening. It will probably look like hair is growing on the two units.

Once this area was opened up, we used a good quality garden sprayer that had a fair amount of pressure. Fill the sprayer with a bottle of Dawn dish soap and the rest water. Use the wand to liberally spray both cooling units with the Dawn.

Once the inside was coated, I went to the rear of the coach and put the sprayer head right up against each opening between EVERY fin and sprayed the radiator. Once it had soaked for awhile, we hooked a hose to the water heater and used a sprayer head to push the water thru the radiator from the outside. We then used a wand sprayer to spray hot water down between the two units where you cut the hole. You may have to do this a couple of times.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

First Welcome. You can go the very detailed and efficient procedure as outlined by Diplomat Don or you can do the less efficient method as many of us do. As stated, your problem is lack of airflow across your radiator caused by the build up of grease and dirt caused from your blow tube (more on that later) and you must get that cleaned off.

If you are on the road, a quick fix that will clean a lot of the problem until you get home is to find a manual car wash (tall enough for you to get under) or a manual truck wash and spray the back of the radiator until relatively clear water runs down.

If home now or when you get there you can access the front of the front of the CAC (Charged Air Cooler) from both under the bed and under the MH. As stardalo states, soak it down with a good degreaser or Simple Green and then spray it off from under the MH and from under the bed and from the back of the radiator. I use a power spray nozzle which attaches to a garden hose and if really bad, you can attach the hose to your house water heater and rinse with hot water. Do this cleaning annually to prevent future problems.

Also to lessen the re-occurrence, you can do as many have done, add some kind of extension to the engine blow-by tube (aka slobber tube). All I did was attach a piece of oil resistant hose to the tube and extend it rearward so that your engine fan can't pull up the oily film and blow it onto your CAC/radiator. Just be careful not to bend the hose too sharply has that hose and tube must stay open so that the engine can breath. You can search this forum for ways other have extended their tubes and many have posted picture and have quite elaborate setups.

Anyway, get it cleaned, keep it clean and you should be OK.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
I have same rig as you. As stated, downshift and keep rpms up. I also, on an annual basis wash off the radiator from under the bed. Basically, I wet it down, spray with a degreaser or simple green and then thoroughly rinse off.
X 2!
One more thing...... never use the Allison Economy Mode when driving in very hilly or mountainous terrain.
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Thank you. We will try this. Have you had any trouble with the thermal cut off going out in your hot water heater?

Darlee is offline   Reply With Quote