RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Overheating

we have a 2005 Kountry Star Model 3910 with a 330 hp Cummins rear mounted radiator we spend a couple of weeks running around Colorado driving over many high alt passes outside temps at times were in mid to high 90's, several times while driving with the dash AC running and climbing grades the engine temp were climb as high as 270 degrees anyone else experience these issues? any fixes out there ? Thanks

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

270 degrees great way to pop a head. I think if you hit 270deg you would be looking for a new motor.
Need to clean the radiator, may have oil buildup from the slobber tube.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

WOW! Running at 270º, I don't think you'll be running around Colorado driving over many high alt passes for much longer.

There are many things that could be contributing to this. I'll refrain from any suggestions. I'm hopeful that other experienced DP owners will chime in on where to begin.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #4

I would check the gauge and sender.

Coolant at 15 psi will boil at 257 °F.

At 270 F, the coolant should be blowing out the overflow.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

My gasser goes into limp mode at 235
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My Cat C7 goes to limp mode at 220. I had the radiator cleaned on the outside and it worked well. Also had slobber tube extended. Now being on East coast less mountains than West. Tom 07 Pacifica
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

There was actually a place in the U.S. that was in the mid to high 90s? Wow. I thought about 80% of the U.S. was fairly cold, based on the last few weather reports I've seen in the last week or so.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
There was actually a place in the U.S. that was in the mid to high 90s? Wow. I thought about 80% of the U.S. was fairly cold, based on the last few weather reports I've seen in the last week or so.
Scott
LOL!
I think a new member has decided his MH is not a mule and is asking for help on a problem he had in the past. (A sick mule, put it in the pasture, it might die, or it might get well. OTOH, a sick vehicle might die, but never get well)
I can remember having trouble making coffee in the mountains, because the water would not boil.
I agree if the engine was actually running 270, and no long term damage is unlikely. I think I would want to check the gauge. But if the engine is overheating, one thing I would check would be overload, either by weight or driver expectations. That engine doesn't know it is not in a truck, so check air and water flow.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you search this forum you will find a lot of post about over heating. Fixes range from cleaning the radiator to a fan clutch. The fan clutch was a common problem on those engines, in which it would not kick in to high speed when temps go up. That occurred to me on my 08 Cummins ISB engine. Good luck
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't believe your gauge is correct...270 is well beyond normal limits on most engines.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two types of radiator setups in 99 to 03 one is "stacked"where the cac is on top of the radiator the second one is "sandwitch" where the cac is in front of the radiator, you can clean setup one "stacked" almost impossible to clean version two, I had to remove mine a real PITA.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #12

As others mentioned I would check the gauge. Our 03 GulfStream with a 330 HP CAT would be screaming like a banshee way before that temp
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Rear engine, rear radiator, 2005

Seriously, I'd suspect the radiator is plugged before anything else.

Pull into a shop and have them clean the radiator untill steam comes out the back.

Friend of mine (freightliner chassis) did this - cost about $250 if I remember and all his overheating problems went away.

Unless, of course, you have included radiator/motor steam cleaning with each annual service... (As we now do).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #14

I did not get near as hot as you, but I would have to nurse it over passes. I did everything I could think of - twice a year cleaning with simple green from the CAC side and radiator side, steam cleaning from the radiator side, belt and thermostat replacement, scheduled coolant replacement, extending the slobber tube.

I finally had the radiator removed and was shocked to see how badly it was clogged from the backside. I assume it happened because it was 9 years old when I got it and the people before us had never extended the slobber tube. The stuff clogging the radiator was so hard I could have never gotten it off with any washing I could do.

We replaced the radiator and had the CAC cleaned. While they were in there, we had belts and hoses replaced, and replaced the water pump.

My guess is you have a clogged radiator.

Ludmilla is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating