Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with the others.

Fix or replace the shroud.
Replace the thermostat, I would put in a 180.
Replace the fan clutch, be sure to use a "Thermal" variety.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
I believe the fan functions as it should. It does engage when it should. It also disengages when the temp comes down. The air dam was brought up and I havent checked it, i am going to call a suggested company to inquire about the shroud. You guys have been great, I have alot of information to use on this issue. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #17

fjstevens,
You said
Quote:
The original owner has all the paperwork, the brochure has options checked and the chassis checked is a John Deere, does that sound right.
Far as I know, John Deere did not use the GM 454 engine. JD used the Ford 7.5 (460). Was produced in both carburated and EFI versions. Here is a picture of the 460 shroud from the JD (Oshkosh) Service Manual.

Hoopefully this will help you faricate/locate a replacement.

Dave
Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Dave
I will look at the brouchure again but Im sure the JD is checked. Thanks for the picture.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
thermostat

If in fact you have a 454, you must have a thermostat installed. The 454 uses a bypass type cooling system. The bypass type thermostat has a plate on the bottom to block off that bypass and force the coolant through the radiator. The one with the plate, is a bypass thermostat. Without the thermostat in place, or installing the wrong thermostat, the coolant will just circulate with-in the engine and very little coolant will be forced through the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Thermo.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	13070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bypass Thermo.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	13071  

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjstevens View Post
Thanks Dave
I will look at the brouchure again but Im sure the JD is checked. Thanks for the picture.
I don't think he was questioning the JD, but in the OP you said it had a 454, which is a GM engine. That is what led me to incorrectly think you had a P32 instead of remembering that PA used JD in those days.

Don't give up....we'll get this figured out eventually
Ed
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RINKERSRANCH: Now THAT is some good info....and great pics too! THANK YOU.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
A break thru.... I called Mckinney, They had the shroud, being a professional he questioned too about the chassis. He asked me to go look at the tires (size and bolt patterns). Apparently I have a GM chassis. I guess since I have a 10 bolt pattern on the rear it is a P 32 chassis. Thank you Dave for the post I mentoned it to the guy from Mckinney's, that what brought on him asking more questions and me not ordering the wrong part. They had the GM shroud too. Should be here soon. Thanks again, Not only did you help me find the part but kept me from getting the wrong one too.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
And next week I will be going to the auto parts store for the Thermostat.. You guys are really the best. I hope to take the maiden voyage within a week or two. This site is a blessing for newbies like me.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjstevens View Post
A break thru.... Apparently I have a GM chassis. I guess since I have a 10 bolt pattern on the rear it is a P 32 chassis.................
fjstevens: Seems we're back where we started. IF you have a 454 motor AND your chassis vin # begins with 1GB....... then it IS a Chevy P32 chassis. Check your registration paperwork, not some brouchure. If you find anything official with a "model #" it should show Pxxx32 because the 3 digits after the P are a code for the Wheel base length and the "32" always came last. Sorry, but I don't know the 3 digit maker identifier code for a John Deere chassis, maybe somebody who has one will see this and chime in with their first 3 Vin characters. Good luck finding the correct T-stat, too.
Ed
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #25

We had the same problem with a 1997 454. New electric fan and all the other tricks. The one thing that helped the most was that I blew the sand out of the fins and made sure everything was clean.When we bought the unit both exhaust manifolds were cracked and it showed 260 on the temp gauge on a long incline. Replaced the manifolds (10 broken studs later) and worked on the cooling system and it does not overheat! My son the Ford tech told me the big block Chevys run warmer than the 460 or the V-10? Good luck,Tom
Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
ED........
Again I am new to this, but after looking at your post this morning I do have a GM chassis. Checked the VIN and it starts with 1GB. Thank you for your patience and wisdom. Have a shroud on the way. Thanks again. As soon as I can get out of the fire department I am going to spray out the rad. and check the air dams. getting excited about using this thing.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Do yourself a favor, get the engine up to operating temperature. Shut the engine down, run your hands across the radiator, as close as possible. See if you have any cold spots, anywhere across the radiator core. If you do you have a blockage in the tubes causing your overheating problems. I have seen this before, while working on heavy equiptment for 40 years. Good luck
Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #28

fjstevens,
Glad I could help. Chevrolet produced the P32 chassis in both 4 Wheel disc and Front Disc/ Rear drum configurations. Additionally, chevy lists both Vacuum Diaphram and Hydroboost applications. So one of the other things you need to determine is what type system you have. 4 Wheel disc and Front Disc/ Rear drum configurations is a simple matter of looking to see if you have rear drum or disc brakes. For the booster you simply need to look and see if the power steering hoses go to both the steering box and a brake booster or just the steering box. If both then it is a hydroboost system.
You need to know all this for parts.

Dave