Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #1

Overland Osprey Class A motorhome

We have decided to buy a 1999 Overland Ospery 40', at least on Monday we plan to. We use to have an Overland back in the 80's our first motorhome. This coach has low miles (47,600) and had an msrp $289,000.00 plus. It is amazing in high end up grades. Anyone have contact to other Overland owners?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I've seen / read, they were well built and had nice, high end finish but the company also went out of business almost 15 years ago. I think coming up with a market value might not be obvious and resale might be trickier since they are pretty much unknown. Finding other owners (particularly of the Osprey) will not be easy. There's another thread with Overland Laredo owners and that might be as good as you'll find.

Best of luck.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #3

Thank you Michelb, I have seen a few dealers around online, that had an Overland for sale at healthy prices, but you're right about resale, which is a concern to me. However, it is A LOT OF COACH for the money/price, we have had real difficulty trying to find a QUALITY COACH that is well taken care of, clean that isn't over priced, etc. We have been trying to find a quality older coach that is clean and well taken care of and priced decently, not to much to ask, right? We have been looking solidly for over about 5 months, have found a few that would be a fair and good buy, but couldn't get to the buy it before someone else beat us to it, in other words, those sell quick.
Private party and dealers I think have all gone bonkers! They tell you their coach is in great condition or they have new tires and they don't, you drive all the way there only to be disappointed. Dealers lying to you that they have the coach you are calling about that is posted on their web site and you drive endless miles to find out they it was sold long before you inquired about it, they only wanted to get you on their lot, and it goes on and on. We recently put a deposit down on a 2001 Country Coach Intrigue in Florida (5) states away or ,2450 miles away from where I live. This coach supposedly per the owner was a great conditioned, well taken care of and had new tries on it etc. etc. After many phone conversations with the seller on the phone, with reassurances, pictures (which can be deceiving) and promises of how it has been taken care of, we came to an agreement to buy. So now, flying one way there with my wife, renting a hotel room and rental car we finally get to see this gem the next day. What a piece of crap! Rusted out frame all around the coach, including the steps into the coach we're so rusty, I was afraid to step on them, tries were (8) years old, a mess inside and misc. repairs etc. were put together all dog eared etc.?
We wanted a well known quality coach (not saying that the following list; is all of them, but was what we were looking at) like: American coach: Eagle, Dream, Tradition, or Country Coach: Magna, Intrigue, Allure, Tiffin product, Monaco product, Beaver product, etc. We have had (3) other class A motor homes (oh by the way and oddly enough with the first coach we had was an overland). These were all gas rigs, we wanted to go diesel this time by buying a well made coach but not with a new coach price. Anyway, I could go on, but that has been my frustration! This Overland is an underdog with recognition of the coach no doubt, I guess I better plan on not selling it if I buy it.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a search on iRV2 you'll find posts for Overland MH's. I did and there were several, including a few Osprey.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The Osprey was Overlands high end model. I think you will find it is well built, and if it was taken care of, you'll have a really nice motorhome at a reasonable price. When you consider the 1999 price over $275000, and that people bought them, there had to be something to it.

There is another thread here with a gathering of Overland owners. Overland Owners Thread The Overland Premier Club is still active, but growing smaller all the time. They are having a "Rally" at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA in March. If you want to participate, let me know and I'll give you the phone number of the Rally Master.

Our 98 Overland Larado was rode hard and put away wet when we bought it. We've been customizing it to make it our own, and fixing up the previous owners neglect, and even with 150,000 miles on it, we have not found anything we like enough to replace it with in the 7 years we've had it......

Don Sweger
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Thank you ALL for your input and TVforMyRV thank you and I would like any info you have on other Overland Groups etc. Glad to hear you like yours so much. We are simply amazed at the quality and high end features and solid would maple cabinetry etc. through out this rig. Even has tank level gauge out where the dump station is and an additional slide button for main slide out right there as well. It also has heated marble floors, high end designer carpeting, it goes on and on, really something. The only thing I don't like on this rig, is the rear radiator because of added maintenance expense and the rubber roof. I am going to replace the roof with a lifetime warranty Rhino Roof, have a company that knows how to apply and fix that problem for good! But the side radiator issue I can't do much about.
Like your web site and will keep in touch.
Park Ranger
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #7

Overland Owners Club
Odessa Osprey. . . . .

Park Ranger, check out another thread titled "Overland Odessa." It contains comments from several Overland owners, and more info about the rally at Perry coming up. Also, check the Overland Owners Group in IRV2. We are keeping in touch through the Overland Odessa thread, and hoping to get an Overland Forum some day when we get sufficient people on board with the group.

There are several other pictures on that thread.

Grzly03, Dick and Heather Nester, Overland 4141, Apple Valley, CA.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Hey, everyone.... It seems that irv2 is reluctant to create a separate forum for us Overland Owners, do to our limited potential size, which is reasonable on their part. I did a little research, and with a few hours work on my end, I can host a simple forum on my website. I really don't have time to be a full time forum administrator, but if enough of you Overland Owners want to give it a try, I'll get it installed, and see what happens. I will only say that we'll do this as an experiment to see if it is manageable, and is a positive benefit to the group. So, if a couple of you give words of encouragement, I'll move it forward on my end.

Don
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

Hi Don, think that is a good idea, at least it can't hurt to try it. I just read a thread from another Overland purchaser and gave him your user name of TVforMYRV from this IRV2 site and told him that you "might"be putting together a forum.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #10

Smile Towing Capacity

Hi All,
I have a 99 37' Overland, 75K Miles, with a CAT 3126B drive train. Love it so far. I am trying to figure out what my maximum towing capacity is. I have pulled a Uhaul trailer with no problems, in fact, it was rather amazing how well the coach performed. I want to pull a couple of cars, in a stacker trailer which are about 2500 each. Total with other items would come in around 10,000 lbs. I have manuals, but am having a hard time figuring out my hitch rating as well as my overall gross weight.

Help! What is the actual rating for the 37' Overland?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #11

I always advise folks to at least consider the NADA current value of whatever they are interested in before buying. Banks use this as a guide, which makes this important. Maybe you will be paying cash, and don't need a bank. But whoever you try to sell it to in the future may very well need a bank's help.

As far as pulling a stacker: i don't know the capabilities of that chassis. The 3126 will pull it, but not up mountains. If you live in the flatlands and are not in a hurry, it ought to be fine power wise.
Now the hitch on the other hand......It is rare to find a pusher with a hitch rated over 6k. It is hard to find a hitch that will fit your pusher rated over 6k. I reinforced mine. A buddy of mine reinforced his new one after the original hitch broke....going 3 mph in a truck stop parking lot! Lucky lucky!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I always advise folks to at least consider the NADA current value of whatever they are interested in before buying. Banks use this as a guide, which makes this important. Maybe you will be paying cash, and don't need a bank. But whoever you try to sell it to in the future may very well need a bank's help.

As far as pulling a stacker: i don't know the capabilities of that chassis. The 3126 will pull it, but not up mountains. If you live in the flatlands and are not in a hurry, it ought to be fine power wise.
Now the hitch on the other hand......It is rare to find a pusher with a hitch rated over 6k. It is hard to find a hitch that will fit your pusher rated over 6k. I reinforced mine. A buddy of mine reinforced his new one after the original hitch broke....going 3 mph in a truck stop parking lot! Lucky lucky!
I have learned a lot since I made the post. I already own the RV. I was considering the scenario of pulling a trailer with two race cars. The hitch was rated at 500lbs tongue & 5000lbs. We looked at it. 6 little bolts and a REESE Class II hitch. We decided that we would be reenforcing it and we would also look at a TrailerToad dolly. I bought a dolly and will be reenforcing the hitch. I am estimating that the Trailer will come in around 8K, but the Dolly should take all of the tongue weight, so it is a matter of pulling, braking and Sway. We plan on having a multipoint hitch for way, and the trailer has triple axels with double axle brakes. Regarding the 3126, I plan on being gentle with her.. This one is 15 years old with only 75K, not quite broken in...
I was considering boosting HP, but reliability and economy are more important to me.

Tags
class a, motorhome