Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

I worry about the same thing. After we ordered a Fleetwood Bounder 36H I found this discussion on the Fleetwood Owner's Forum
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2016...ns-271830.html

I've told my husband that we are very close to the CCC limit as soon as we pick it up which has me concerned. We went with the Bounder for a variety of reasons and I know my husband is confident with the purchase.

Our plan is to monitor the weight very closely and have the four corners weighed before we set out on a trip. I'm planning on leaving the cast iron behind and traveling as lightly as possible. I told my husband he either needs to lose weight or leave the golf clubs behind... he chose to lose weight.

We'll use the Bounder for summer trips for a few years. If all goes well we will keep it when I retire and we full-time. If the CCC is an issue we will start shopping again with weight as more of a priority than floor plan.

We are moving from a travel trailer to a Class A and have a lot to learn. I hope we don't learn all of it the hard way.

Tim's Wife
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Varies between builders and models. Potential buyers need to get past the shiny bits and drill into all the capabilities.

We as the end users are demand more and more stuff added into what used to be a bare bones rolling summer cabin and the builders are slowly making the change. The problem is our demands are getting rear close to what a given chassis and price point can take. Residential refrigerators, washer/dryers, king size beds, tile floors, 6' 8" ceilings, a roof AC for every 15' of floor length, 4+ televisions, built in vacuum, large battery banks, invertors, solar panels and a generator that will run everything at the same time.

My 2006 budget rig is built on an 18,000 lbs. chassis. Loaded for a weekend trip for two tipped a Cat Scale right around 15,750 lbs. Our two week summer road trip I'm a bit over 16K. I didn't believe it at first and asked to weight it a second time. Probably one of the few F53 based rigs that could actually tow to the hitch max.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #17

Ccc seems to be the Achilles heel of most all gassers I have looked at and smaller diesels as well. I know we carry about 1500lbs of stuff in our toy hauler without the rzr in the back (without our family of four also), so realistically we would have 2000lbs of stuff in a class a before full fuel and more water. Doesn't leave a lot of capacity on some models which is why we r looking at larger units with 5k plus ccc and 10k tow ratings
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BUYER BEWARE...

The "correct" term for weight carry capacity for motorized RV's is "OCCC"
OCCC accepts that any propane tank is full and not part of the capacity number listed.

The makers who use the old NCC or CCC (towables only ) numbers (and there are several luxury makers doing this) are presenting a number which is with an empty propane tank. Filling that tank is using some of the listed capacity...which is most usually between the axles, so adds weight on the front axle.

But, the capacity (which ever number they use) will be clearly listed on a placard on the entry door, a placard inside a kitchen cabinet, or on a placard near the driver's position.

For agreed RVIA terms, See: Weighing Glossary

Since 2010, Ford's F53 is the only gas powered Class A chassis available to builders on North America. The F53 is produced in 7 GVWRs and 11 wheelbases. Some makers buy low GVWR...some do not. The OP is smart to check this, IMHO.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the reasons I looked for a Fleetwood Pace Arrow, was the carrying capacity. My 35 ft coach is already long for a gasser. My Pace has a carrying capacity of well over 4,000 lbs. Always, Always look at the carrying capacity before buying a coach. Gulfstream was a good company, however they made a heavy coach. Some of their diesels had a carrying capacity of only around 1500 pounds.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Could you provide us with some examples of coaches you're interested in? Especially ones where the companies do not provide "useful specs?"
What I consider the most useful specs are GVWR, GAWRs, and dry weight by axle; by wheel would be better yet. I'm most interested in Tiffin and Newmar gassers (no, not Stone, Woods and Cook;-)). On their online spec sheets Newmar gives GVWR by axle, approximate dry weight and net cargo capacity (not CCC) but not capacity by axle. Online Tiffin gives only GVWR and GAWRs.

However I talked on the phone to a fella at Tiffin named Danny Inman who provided me with weights and leftover front and rear axle capacity (CCCs no less) for several specific examples of several models, this information from actual weight tickets and invoices. This was <very> helpful and the information he provided me on models with 24K and 26K chassis led me to deduce that similarly sized and equipped models by some makers on 22K chassis might be kind'a hinky. Perhaps I'm in error but few manufacturers show specs to assuage my doubts.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
We're thinking of buying an A gasser and the more I learn the more cautious I'm becoming, being under the impression that many of these units, evidently nearly all built on various Ford chassis, are very close to weight limits on chassis and axles even in their empty state. Comments are solicited.
I've never even come close to the weight limits on chassis, axles or combined weight even when fully loaded and with four adults. I have a 2011 F53 chassis, rated for 22K and for 26K with towed vehicle. Front axle is allowed 8K and rear axle 15K.

Actual certified weights on a Cat scale were:

Front axle 6,580 lbs; allowed 8,000 lbs
Rear axle 13,680 lbs; allowed 15,000 lbs

MH weight 20,260 lbs; allowed 22,000 lbs
Towed weight 3,680 lbs; allowed 4,000 lbs
Combined weight 24,180 lbs; allowed 26,000 lbs

Weighed with full fuel, 1/2 tank water, full LP tank, full fridge, full clothes, full basement, 1 adult male driver and 3 adult female passengers with all of their stuff and 2 cats, ready for the road for an extended stay.

Winnebago uses a lot of aluminum in the design of the coach which could account for some of the extra carrying capacity.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #22

^^^^looks like you have a good match for you and your family
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
^^^^looks like you have a good match for you and your family
Yep, we usually travel with just me and the wife and the cats but on that particular trip we had the granddaughter and her girlfriend with us. So usually we are about 400 lbs lighter without the girls and all of their stuff.

When I weighed the setup I had all of my modifications added on to it and still came up with the above weights. We carry all of the usual stuff in the basement so it's not like the basement is empty. Maybe someone put helium in my tires?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #24

June 2015 we purchased a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA with the 24K chassis. We had it weighed prior to a 10 day trip to Gulf Shores Alabama. We had full propane, full fuel tank, basement pretty much full with "stuff", water tank about 1/3 full, waste tanks empty and myself and wife onboard. Our front axle was 8220lb (9K max), rear axle 14340lb (15.5k max) and our toad was 4520lb (Jeep Cherokee) for a total of 27080lb (30K max). We don't feel we would have anymore "stuff" at any other time so we had plenty of room to spare.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Bill, the coach builders do exactly the same thing! That's why you see so many gas coaches with fairly short wheelbase and a loooooong rear overhang.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
yep, and that long rear overhang contributes to driver fatigue while driving, especially with cross winds or when trucks are passing.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Yep, we usually travel with just me and the wife and the cats but on that particular trip we had the granddaughter and her girlfriend with us. So usually we are about 400 lbs lighter without the girls and all of their stuff.

When I weighed the setup I had all of my modifications added on to it and still came up with the above weights. We carry all of the usual stuff in the basement so it's not like the basement is empty. Maybe someone put helium in my tires?
I see you have Kelderman air suspension, how do you like it, do you find it a big improvement as far as handling and ride quality? Thanks.
old iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by old iron View Post
I see you have Kelderman air suspension, how do you like it, do you find it a big improvement as far as handling and ride quality? Thanks.
Its very nice. Helps with some of those front end jolts we can get from bridge abutments and pavement joints. Also gives me the ability to get the coach level end-to-end, the front was too low from the factory for my tastes. I'd say that there is an improvement in ride quality.

It handles very, very well with my current setup. It's relaxing, I sit back and enjoy the ride. Semis and crosswinds do not bother it. It's kind of a hobby fiddling with it. I like to tweak things.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #28

When we were down at the Tampa Show I paid particular attention to the OCCC of the gassers and made it a point to take pictures of all the labels as I was concerned about being overloaded as well. I was surprised to find that some of the gassers had less than 900 pounds of OCCC available. The only way to increase the OCCC is to decrease the weight of the coach, and they do that by decreasing the number of slides, reducing the options, and using lighter, possibly more flimsy materials in the coach construction.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote