Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Question Overnighting in Walmart, truck stops and rest areas

When overnighting in Walmart, truck stops or rest areas, can you put out your slides, put down the jacks and run the generator?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
There is a site that documents proper etiquette for Walmart but can't put my fingers on it right now.

Generally no to slides and jacks (as well as awnings, BBQ's, lawn chairs, etc.) at any of the three options.

Generator is typically ok at all of them (assuming not a loud construction site generator).
Old 04-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Run the genny...yes. Slides and jacks depends. I don't want anyone hitting a slide, so I park so a light pole protects the slides, or put the slides out 6" on either side so I stay in my parking lane. Same for jacks, in the hot summer, on a very un-level area, no, as I don't want to ruin a parking lot. In the cooler climes or on a near level area, I may not even extend jacks, even if I have all slides fully extended.

We make heavy use of Google Earth pictures to pick a selected, protected site when it's feasible. Obviously, in a Flying J, this is a waste of time, but in rest areas and box stores, this is a big help.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have one slide that we need to put out to access the closets, the other slides stay in. Jacks only for severe out of level conditions, but I'd rather move to a level place. Generator, absolutely, especialy if I really need it, especially if I'm in a truck stop, probably if I'm in a restop and not too close to others.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

Camping at WalMart is generally considered to be not a planned stop, more like you got delayed and just couldn't go any further type of thing. It's not camping, just a place to sleep.

* Make sure it's legal to overnight there, in some municipalities, it's not allowed.
* Camp under a light with your door facing the store.
* Let the Manager know that you're there, and buy something.
* Don't put out slides, awning, chairs, etc.

If we abuse it, it's going to go away!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippinhead View Post
When overnighting in Walmart, truck stops or rest areas, can you put out your slides, put down the jacks and run the generator?
It is smart to put out your slides so when a thief tries to tow you away people might try and stop him to tell him that his slides are out or call the police to say there is a RV driving down the road with his slides out.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on how level the lot is as to whether we use our jacks. If we can park so that when the slide is extended it is not liable to get hit we will put it out. We try to park next to an island or the end of the parking lot so that the slide can overhang and be protected. We will run the generator if we need AC, if it is cool enough we won't run genny.

When we stop at a Walmart we will almost always go in and buy something. Always good to stretch your legs after a long drive.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Jacks can and will damage an asphalt parking surface, so we generally do not use them. The last thing we would want to do is damage our hosts's property. If the slope is extreme I will use the jacks but ALWAYS put down jack pads first to protect the parking surface.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

Well,
We've over nighted in Walmart quite a few times. Each and every time we've done it, I don't do anything with the coach, 'till I've gone inside the store, found the manager or, at the very least, an assistant manager and ask permission to stay, way off in a corner some place, out of the way. There may or may not, already be other folks in RVs there. I still ask.

And, in our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, we have two slides. One is the galley slide and the other is the bed room one. The galley one is not necessarily needed to be extended for us to walk about and, stay for the night. But, the bedroom one, is a much smaller slide and, it definitely needs to be extended for sleeping arrangements. It only goes out about 12-14" inways.

And, I don't put those slides (either one) out without putting the jacks down and leveling. Besides, I demand that coach be level for the fridge to be satisfied. Now, that's about the extend of "setup" that we do while in either a Walmart of Kmart etc. And, as usual, we're GONE in the early morning hours with no evidence that we were EVER there.

We don't make a habit of staying in those places. It's really only a "last resort" (no pun intended) type thing. We've seen the ones who've setup awnings, chairs, mats, play pens for dogs, and much more. We won't even park near them if at all possible.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
THIS THREAD will tell you all you need to know, & more, about overnighting in WM & many other places.

Lori-
Closed Thread