Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Overpass clearance

Over the past couple days I've been traveling from Illinois through Pennsylvania and New York heading to Maine. With the exception of some surface streets around NYC, all interstate travel. The CB antenna on my coach is about 13'7" off the ground. I can't believe the number of times the antenna hit the underside of an overpass. A couple of bridges I hit were posted with signs indicating clearance of 14'! I cleared others posting lower heights. This is crazy! According to the Federal Highway Safety Administration, interstate vertical clearance is not supposed to be less than 14'. I saw many, many bridges posted less than 14'. Most of my issues occurred on I-95 between New York and Providence, Rode Island. Thank goodness the antenna is mounted on a spring base, but it sure gets your attention when it hits. I will be removing it before I head out tomorrow. I have traveled throughout the midwest, south, and west and never experienced this on interstates.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD 450 Cummins
2007 Jeep Rubicon
moleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I see a,lot of overpasses around here at 13' 6"

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
13'6" was the standard for the National Highway System for many, many years, so older underpasses were often built to that standard. Plus, it only applies to highways that are part of the National Highway System (US and Interstate routes), so state and local roads can be built to lesser standards. Last, many of the roadways and bridges in the eastern US were established long before there even were highway standard, so they are either grandfathered in or have been granted exceptions.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
I used to drive tractor trailers which were all 13' 6" tall. I had my CB antennas mounted so they ran a couple inches over the trailer and I ran every inch of I-95 without tapping any overpass.

Any chance your measurement might be off or your ride height changes when on the road?

I'm not saying you are wrong but I would have to think there would be some big issues if clearance on such a major road was that close.
Tom & Jodie
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 35B
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
Sometimes a road is resurfaced with another layer of asphalt and the contractor fails to remove the old surface so it may reduce the clearance under a bridge overpass. Normally they would remove the old asphalt before putting a new layer down so clearances are unchanged but that doesn't always happen, low bidder gets the job. On the PA turnpike the overpasses are arched so max clearance is in the center of the 2 lanes. Federal standards for as mentioned on Interstate and US Highways the height should be no less than 13'6" actually I believe 14' is the standard. That is why trucks/trailers are manufactured to federal mandated max height of 13'6". There are of course exceptions for special transport on height as well as weight.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Gee...I've been lucky so far. I've touched tree leaves & branches but not overpasses yet. Generally signs are correct and posted but we don't live in a perfect world. Driving old cities like Chicago or New York you'll always encounter low overpasses. Like the student that was test driving, I asked him what the height was after we went under the overpass, and without a blink of an eye, he came back 14' 6". Nice try. The overpass wasn't posted. Like Tom said , check your measurements and if you have to back out of a problem best you contact law enforcement first.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If I were the OP I'd be re-measuring the coach on a level surface at full ride height just to make sure of exactly what his true height really is.

Something sure sounds fishy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #8
Ours is <12' at ride height.....
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hours of cringe-worthy video

11 FOOT 8 - The Canopener Bridge
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Forest River Owners Club
Hopefully my trucker GPS will keep me away from those bridges....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
moleary, I think your airbags may have been deflated when you did the measurement. Might do it again with it running.

2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3858
1990 Fleetwood Bounder 31K
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote