Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
This is correct. The big trucking firms have contracts at discounted prices. Us simple folks just get taken at these places. They offer an easier filling situation with the truck pumps than the smaller stations. We try like the plague to avoid these truck stops as a 20 cent difference on a 75 gallon or more fill up is huge.

Many of the "regular" stations are now adding RV and Truck lanes for diesel fuel making it easy and certainly cheaper.

I know I’ve been going to the smaller stations. Saved $138 on 300 gallons so far.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
The large truck chains haven't had competitive fuel prices in years. I use Gas Buddy and haven't really had a problem getting in and out for fuel with my DP and toad. On approach do a survey of the station to make sure you have enough room, easy!!

I think I’ll check out gas buddy.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Besides the discount for fleets, the highway diesel stops usually show lots of long term truck parking, showers, and frequently big stores and restaurants. It is a one-stop shop for truckers. The prices are ridiculous though. We generally buy at the truck stops that are older and have just a fuel station without the extras. They are easy to find on state highways, but harder to find on interstates. GasBuddy is your friend.

I’ve been traveling as far as Dallas and the east coast for 6 years now and haven’t noticed this spike till the last two weeks.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
Driving big RV's is a challenge enough but the semi's are even more limited as to where they can stop. Owner-Operators are the ones getting screwed! Trucks stops have been taking advantage of them for years. Most of them are right at exits and the convenience outweighs the additional cost for most. I've seen truck stops at 20 cents more than an independent just a block further down the road. The amount of fuel sold by them to cars, light trucks and RV's is nothing compared to the volume sold to big rigs. The overpriced fuel you buy offsets the deep discounts the commercial companies get. I don't use them if they don't have RV islands or if the price is jacked. You have to pay in advance, not knowing how much you will take, the islands are nasty and ruin your carpets, the "queens" in charge of the pumps are disgusting and the huge fuel flow will push your camper out of the bay if you're not careful and fuel slowly. Can you tell I'm not a fan of truck stops?? And...have you ever stopped at one where the Greyhound Bus beat you there by 2 minutes??

85% of the time I stop at loves or pilot in the front pumps. The trucker pumps will not usually accept a debit card, the wait is longer and it is filthier and more dangerous as a pedestrian.

As much as a 55cent hike per gallon, I better get a wash and a foot massage too.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I ask that question at a local smaller station and he said that they hadn't received diesel for couple weeks and when they get their new delivery with the price increase they will be closer to the price of the truck stops.

That does make sense, I asked too but don’t speak Indian, so no info to receive.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I believe up and down fuel prices are in the best interest for OPEC and oil companies. This keeps alternate fuel sources from being stable and getting a foot hold in the lucrative energy market. The coal market was destroyed in part by competitive Nat gas prices, due to clean air requirements.
I often thought that a floating fuel tax for the purpose of stabilize fuel prices would advance alternate fuel vehicle development by 10 fold. When gas is $4.50/gal, people want to buy electric cars, but by the time auto makers get the cars to market, gas has dropped to $2.50/gal and buyer interest has disappeared.
Independent truck owners (my son) do not get big discounts on fuel purchases. He calls it a pay cut!

That seems un-American to gouge the life blood of the country, that’s like charging farmers more for water.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Those are the owner-operators I referred to. Truck stops prey on them as they have very few choices on the road. Regardless of what OPEC does or any other tree huggin' coal haters...the truck stops do overprice their fuel compared to the market. Additional taxes are not the answer to anything.

I just haven’t had this overpriced problems until the last two weeks.

I guess like another stated the small stations just don’t run out daily and receive the new rates at the same time.

Seems like with all the taxes we ppay them for fuel there should be a construction crew on every highway in the country, some of these roads are just beating down my vehicles.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm still trying to understand why in some areas diesel can be $.40/gal more than regular gas.

When I was a teenager diesel was always much cheaper than regular fuel my understanding it takes less to refine.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
When I was a teenager diesel was always much cheaper than regular fuel my understanding it takes less to refine.

Thanks

Rick
That used to be true, but since 2006 with the mandated transition to ULSD, it has to be refined more and costs went up. That with the $.06 per gallon higher tax on diesel make up much of the difference.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Just drove from Atlanta to Dallas and back and then from Atlanta to Columbus Ohio, all the major truck stops diesel prices for credit are $3.13 to $3.35 per gallon but virtually all the smaller non truck stop stations in the same vicinity as the others are $2.79 to $2.99 per gallon. Any theories on this gouging truckers?

Rick
Sure wish diesel was $3.13 to $3.35 around here. I just bought diesel at the cheapest station around here $3.75. Truck stops are over $4.00.
I put just enough in to get me out of California come vacation time in a month.
I can make it into Utah with what I have. Prices are in that $3.15 to $3.40 price .
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #25

I love my 100 gal aux fuel tank in my pickup. I'm still running around on $2.55 diesel from MS in late March and should be good for another month since my next gig is only 150 miles away. I only start my truck to move the FW, motorcycle is my toad.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I love my 100 gal aux fuel tank in my pickup. I'm still running around on $2.55 diesel from MS in late March and should be good for another month since my next gig is only 150 miles away. I only start my truck to move the FW, motorcycle is my toad.

If I never went anywhere I wouldn’t even know what gas prices were.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
At 42’ plus a toad I have not used Pilot or FlyJ since P bought J...6+ years, I go where GasBuddy has the cheapest diesel. On a recent trip instead of getting fuel in Odessa TX for $3.15...50 miles further it was $2.70 and I bought 120 gallons saving $50+. I’m able to put two nozzles into my fill and I have to run my cards twice anyway cutting down on how long to fill.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Those are the owner-operators I referred to. Truck stops prey on them as they have very few choices on the road. Regardless of what OPEC does or any other tree huggin' coal haters...the truck stops do overprice their fuel compared to the market. Additional taxes are not the answer to anything.

Two of my brothers are O/O's. They just write the cost of fuel off. One of my brothers really likes Pilot/Flying J. He collects rewards point with them, and they add up pretty quickly. Just a fillup and he gets free shower access and premium overnight space (although he tends to run all night-sleep all day). After a couple of weekly runs he banks enough points to pick up some electronic doo-dads (he got me a Garvin 770DSL-LMT).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel