Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you're looking for truck stops to fuel up at along a route this site offer a great system, used by truckers.

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

We use it all the time.

Just tried it, seems helpful.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Almost all trucking companies have a written contract with their preferred truck stop. This written contract has the trucking company buying large amounts of fuel in ADVANCE, usually 50K to 100K at a time.... this large, purchase before delivery offers a discount off the pump price... thus those who drive any of these companies really don't pay the pump price.

It was like buying futures on the fuel...

I used to own a small fleet and my fuel bill was about $4K a month, and the buy in for this program started at about 15K a month... we found that with our smaller trucks, we could pick and choose where we wanted fuel, off the path of most truck stops and save those $....
Why don't groups of RVers do this? It seems like you could get a few hundred people together and make a great deal on fuel. just need someone to manage it.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #45

Overpriced diesel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why don't groups of RVers do this? It seems like you could get a few hundred people together and make a great deal on fuel. just need someone to manage it.

I don’t know why this idea won’t fly, but it has been mentioned in posts of the last few years.
If there were 100K members and they each averaged 200 gallons per month, the gross annual revenue to the fuel provider would be $70 million. This is a corporate level management endeavor, and they would need a profit above cost. Not an easy thing to wrangle, me thinks.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Crude oil prices have been climbing like crazy. My friends who work in the oil industry told me a couple months ago that we will likely see close to $100/barrel by mid summer. I also hear they are shutting things down in some areas and laying off oil workers... it sounds like they are manipulating crap again.

That's $2/gallon just for crude unrefined oil. Add on refining and taxes, gonna be a bad summer for fuel prices.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #47

We stay put in Summer, pretty much.
Not trying to change things we can’t, here. And 10K miles/year means only about 1300 bucks more. Meh!
We’ll keep on going as the camps should have lots of spaces open!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #48

Greed!
jrclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We stay put in Summer, pretty much.
Not trying to change things we can’t, here. And 10K miles/year means only about 1300 bucks more. Meh!
We’ll keep on going as the camps should have lots of spaces open!

Just filled up at a Kroger in Kentucky for $3.06. When the truck stops at the same exit were $3.42.

All the truck stops back to Atlanta were $3.25. And up but the Racetrack and Qt were $2.98. By my house.

Fuel is the biggest expense for us, business or personal. If they don’t repair some of these highways, my Rv cracking in half may be the next biggest expense. What does the DOT actually do?

Rick
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Just filled up at a Kroger in Kentucky for $3.06. When the truck stops at the same exit were $3.42.

All the truck stops back to Atlanta were $3.25. And up but the Racetrack and Qt were $2.98. By my house.

Fuel is the biggest expense for us, business or personal. If they don’t repair some of these highways, my Rv cracking in half may be the next biggest expense. What does the DOT actually do?

Rick

We full time and fuel is about %15 of our expenses. Even if the fuel cost were to double, it would not be a travel stopper for us.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #51

You don't see those places lacking for business, do you? Why lower prices when customers are flocking in? It's just like an oceanfront restaurant.

Location, location, location.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

We full time and fuel is about %15 of our expenses. Even if the fuel cost were to double, it would not be a travel stopper for us.

Vacation no, but for our business it makes a difference between profitable or not, and when the price goes up, we are still getting the same product.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
You don't see those places lacking for business, do you? Why lower prices when customers are flocking in? It's just like an oceanfront restaurant.

Location, location, location.

While they monopolize on the location they are loosing fuel customers like myself and in turn loosing sales for all the venders inside, while raising profits for the competition.

Many people I know never check the price, it could be $20 per gallon, they wouldn’t notice till the tank is already full.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 AM   #54

It’s seasonal like the lumber business. The floor for pricing starts increasing in April so when hurricane season roles around, everything’s up 20-40%.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
That seems un-American to gouge the life blood of the country, that’s like charging farmers more for water.

Thanks

Rick

Rick - you do realize that most companies that sell petro products are not American owned right??
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #56

I'm finally retired and we've set ourselves up to really enjoy it! I'm over the business end of all of it. I will be conscious of fuel prices as we travel and be as frugal as possible but really don't see this as a big issue. Don't sweat what you can't change. There will always be a competitive price along the way.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel