RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #1

Overpriced diesel ?

Just drove from Atlanta to Dallas and back and then from Atlanta to Columbus Ohio, all the major truck stops diesel prices for credit are $3.13 to $3.35 per gallon but virtually all the smaller non truck stop stations in the same vicinity as the others are $2.79 to $2.99 per gallon. Any theories on this gouging truckers?

Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #2

Almost all trucking companies have a written contract with their preferred truck stop. This written contract has the trucking company buying large amounts of fuel in ADVANCE, usually 50K to 100K at a time.... this large, purchase before delivery offers a discount off the pump price... thus those who drive any of these companies really don't pay the pump price.

It was like buying futures on the fuel...

I used to own a small fleet and my fuel bill was about $4K a month, and the buy in for this program started at about 15K a month... we found that with our smaller trucks, we could pick and choose where we wanted fuel, off the path of most truck stops and save those $....

Old 05-17-2018, 04:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
This is correct. The big trucking firms have contracts at discounted prices. Us simple folks just get taken at these places. They offer an easier filling situation with the truck pumps than the smaller stations. We try like the plague to avoid these truck stops as a 20 cent difference on a 75 gallon or more fill up is huge.

Many of the "regular" stations are now adding RV and Truck lanes for diesel fuel making it easy and certainly cheaper.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #4

The large truck chains haven't had competitive fuel prices in years. I use Gas Buddy and haven't really had a problem getting in and out for fuel with my DP and toad. On approach do a survey of the station to make sure you have enough room, easy!!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Besides the discount for fleets, the highway diesel stops usually show lots of long term truck parking, showers, and frequently big stores and restaurants. It is a one-stop shop for truckers. The prices are ridiculous though. We generally buy at the truck stops that are older and have just a fuel station without the extras. They are easy to find on state highways, but harder to find on interstates. GasBuddy is your friend.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Driving big RV's is a challenge enough but the semi's are even more limited as to where they can stop. Owner-Operators are the ones getting screwed! Trucks stops have been taking advantage of them for years. Most of them are right at exits and the convenience outweighs the additional cost for most. I've seen truck stops at 20 cents more than an independent just a block further down the road. The amount of fuel sold by them to cars, light trucks and RV's is nothing compared to the volume sold to big rigs. The overpriced fuel you buy offsets the deep discounts the commercial companies get. I don't use them if they don't have RV islands or if the price is jacked. You have to pay in advance, not knowing how much you will take, the islands are nasty and ruin your carpets, the "queens" in charge of the pumps are disgusting and the huge fuel flow will push your camper out of the bay if you're not careful and fuel slowly. Can you tell I'm not a fan of truck stops?? And...have you ever stopped at one where the Greyhound Bus beat you there by 2 minutes??
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ask that question at a local smaller station and he said that they hadn't received diesel for couple weeks and when they get their new delivery with the price increase they will be closer to the price of the truck stops.
Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

I believe up and down fuel prices are in the best interest for OPEC and oil companies. This keeps alternate fuel sources from being stable and getting a foot hold in the lucrative energy market. The coal market was destroyed in part by competitive Nat gas prices, due to clean air requirements.
I often thought that a floating fuel tax for the purpose of stabilize fuel prices would advance alternate fuel vehicle development by 10 fold. When gas is $4.50/gal, people want to buy electric cars, but by the time auto makers get the cars to market, gas has dropped to $2.50/gal and buyer interest has disappeared.
Independent truck owners (my son) do not get big discounts on fuel purchases. He calls it a pay cut!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Those are the owner-operators I referred to. Truck stops prey on them as they have very few choices on the road. Regardless of what OPEC does or any other tree huggin' coal haters...the truck stops do overprice their fuel compared to the market. Additional taxes are not the answer to anything.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm still trying to understand why in some areas diesel can be $.40/gal more than regular gas.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm still trying to understand why in some areas diesel can be $.40/gal more than regular gas.
State and local taxes cause most of the variation in prices from state to state. Other sources of price variances are the transportation costs for fuel.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
State and local taxes cause most of the variation in prices from state to state. Other sources of price variances are the transportation costs for fuel.
Add sales volume. The local Sams Club was going though a tanker a day before the club closed.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
Additional taxes are not the answer to anything.
Amen! We'd have $4.50 gas all the time if we put tax on to get the price the breaking point for buyers.

Many times, increases in the overall price are driven by speculation in commodities trading. Even though the "event" hasn't even happened, it drives oil price ups and downs. Speculation and the commodity market for oil drives more price change than any individual oil company or retailer could.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
Almost all trucking companies have a written contract with their preferred truck stop. This written contract has the trucking company buying large amounts of fuel in ADVANCE, usually 50K to 100K at a time.... this large, purchase before delivery offers a discount off the pump price... thus those who drive any of these companies really don't pay the pump price.

It was like buying futures on the fuel...

I used to own a small fleet and my fuel bill was about $4K a month, and the buy in for this program started at about 15K a month... we found that with our smaller trucks, we could pick and choose where we wanted fuel, off the path of most truck stops and save those $....

I guess that makes sense once explained, I guess a fuel buyer speculated wrong.

Thanks

Rick

Tags
diesel