Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #29

Well, I'd have to agree with the toyhauler recommendation then. The garage area is advertised as a potential office space by Thor on their units. It really seems to be the ideal solution to your situation.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgirl92 View Post
My husband and I were pretty set that we wanted a Class C, and I was overwhelmed by the options since each make/model seems to have 10 variations for each year! Now we're finding out that some Class A will suit our needs (and we were told they're much easier to maneuver, see while driving, live in, etc), so that swings the options doors wide open again. We have a list of features we want, but the issue is finding the RV that fits the description. With a purchase of this size I'm so afraid of buyer's remorse and getting the wrong one! Do you know which RVs would work for us? The interior design and age really doesn't matter to us since we want to re-paint/upholster/floor anyway, so we're really just looking at layout and reliability! We do want to upgrade the batteries and solar power to accommodate for boondocking, so I'm not sure if a newer model would be better for this or not.

---------------------------------------

Mandatory features:
  • We want to pay in full or have at least 50% in cash, so preferably less than $50k (but I would be willing to look at/consider high priced ones if there's nothing that suits our needs in this price range!)
  • Over-cab bed: I know class C has this, but some Class A have a drop down bed in the front. Needs to be at least a double bed so we can sleep 2 people
  • Rear bedroom: We want to remove the bed and turn this space into a workroom/office. Many of the RVs we've seen so far use the space under the bed for bigger storage underneath, so something with a flat floor here would be best, though I suppose I could still make the space work if it wasn't flat
  • Slide outs: Since we plan on living in it full time, the extra space would be really useful. However, we want things to still be accessible if the slide outs are in. Some we saw close off portions of the RV when the slide outs are in, and we DON'T want this.
  • Needs to be able to tow our car (about 3000 lbs)
  • Dry bath

Preferred features:
  • Couch (doesn't need to be big, I would just like to have one for long-term living)
  • Smaller dinette or table/chairs instead of booth (I've seen some huge ones and it just takes up a lot of space. There's only two of us that need to sit at it)
  • Small desk: A couple RVs we looked at had a small desk space in the bedroom. I can always build one if there isn't one built in, but it would be a lot more convenient to have one already there!
  • I know there's no such thing as good gas mileage in an RV, but since we've been spoiled by our prius's mileage, something on the higher mpg would be preferable
  • counter space: I'd like to have at least a little counter space. Many I saw had zero counter area. I can make do if necessary, but it'd be nice if it was there to begin with.

Would be nice, but not at all necessary
  • Pop up TV: I've seen a couple where the TV lives inside a small counter space and pops up out of it for use. We rarely use the TV (just occasionally for games), so this would be nice to have it out of the way when we're not using it!
  • Shower outside of the bathroom: I initially thought this was weird, but I agree with my husband that with the skylight above it, it diffuses the light and really brightens up the space.

I know this post got pretty long, but if you stuck around to the end and could point us in the right direction, that would be exceptionally helpful!
It is a major purchase and you understandably want to make the right decision. Take your time and do your homework. The RV Consumer Group can help direct you decision. It is a non profit consumer group that has been rating RV's for the past 45 years. I joined and purchased their data base years ago and saved thousands on one of the highest rated coaches on the market. It was the best $175 I ever spent. Here is the link to their site: https://www.rv.org/

Good luck!
trux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #31
RV LIFE Support Team

My hairdresser is a traveling hairdresser from her house. She cuts hair etc. in her house but travels to other clients 30-40 miles away a day or 2 a week. I just assume she does this in their house for them. I don't see why you think you need a MH for a traveling salon? Besides all the insurance, licensing hassles if you are RVing while doing this don't you need licensing in each state, register the business etc.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgirl92 View Post
Going to a lot and window shopping is what had us leaning towards a class A afterr we were convinced we wanted a C! Now we've thrown toy haulers (which I had been previously ignoring) so there's even more to look at.

We want to take out the back bed so it's an empty room with a small desk/workspace. I need room for myself and one other while do their hair, but I also do work that requires me to sit at a desk or table. I would like to use that room for both things.
A toy hauler is sounding more like what you want. Our toy hauler is 43' so quite a bit larger than you are considering.

On the positive side it has a 10' garage with it's own entrance, perfect for a business. Has water hookups so a sink etc would be feasible.

The rest of the unit is a very comfortable living area. Something you probably would appreciate for the times when weather keeps you inside.

Having a small unit so you can get into tight areas may be problematic. I am unsure of regulations but many campgrounds and parks frown on commercial endeavors or outright ban them.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #33
RV LIFE Support Team

It seems to me you need to take a step back and start making lists.

1) What do you wan to do when you have an RV(short term and long term)

2) What would you like to have in an RV. Rank them by importance to you

3) Make a sheet with 6-8 columns. Pros and cons of each RV style you are considering and the cost. A toy hauler will probably need a 450.

4) After doing this you should have a better feel where you are going instead of the shoot from the hip method you are using now. Remember, an RV is a downsize, you are simplifying your life. Reducing expenses.

5) You are thinking of working, what happens if you change your mind. Can you maintain the lifestyle will have chosen. Unexpected things happen, you need to be prepared for that.

You are looking for an all encomposing solution, be prepared for not find the perfect solution.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
My hairdresser is a traveling hairdresser from her house. She cuts hair etc. in her house but travels to other clients 30-40 miles away a day or 2 a week. I just assume she does this in their house for them. I don't see why you think you need a MH for a traveling salon? Besides all the insurance, licensing hassles if you are RVing while doing this don't you need licensing in each state, register the business etc.
We are not getting the RV specifically for my job. My husband and I want to full time RV and have the freedom of being able to travel wherever. He's a sound designer and musician, and his job can take him anywhere. I also make pre-made dreadlocks that I can have shipped worldwide, so I want to have the space to make those as well. I still need to work out the logistics of working on other people, but as far as I know the state I'm currently in has some of the most strict laws regarding hair, so I *should* be okay, but this is certainly something I will be looking more into. It will still be another couple years before we can afford to make this step, so I still have time.
kgirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #35

Quote:
It seems to me you need to take a step back and start making lists.

1) What do you wan to do when you have an RV(short term and long term)

2) What would you like to have in an RV. Rank them by importance to you

3) Make a sheet with 6-8 columns. Pros and cons of each RV style you are considering and the cost. A toy hauler will probably need a 450.

4) After doing this you should have a better feel where you are going instead of the shoot from the hip method you are using now. Remember, an RV is a downsize, you are simplifying your life. Reducing expenses.

5) You are thinking of working, what happens if you change your mind. Can you maintain the lifestyle will have chosen. Unexpected things happen, you need to be prepared for that.

You are looking for an all encomposing solution, be prepared for not find the perfect solution.

We want to live full time, long term (no end date planned), travel semi-frequently (I imagine we'd spend a couple months in a general area before moving onto the next). Lots of boondocking. I'm not sure I understand what's going in the 6-8 columns you suggested. Is each column a particular RV we're looking at? We have a pretty good idea of what features we want, it's just an issue of finding the right thing that fits it. There are so many makes/models/floorplans out there I'm afraid of missing something. Reducing expenses is a huge reason for us doing this, and the main reason why I'd prefer to pay in full instead of finance. I want to reduce as many costs as possible in our lives.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 AM   #36
RV LIFE Support Team

You have started out thinking Class C and have migrated over several others. A column of pros/cons for each Rv under consideration. Going from a Class C to a Toy Hauler is a very big jump.

Each time you respond back your needs/wants are changing. Once you decide what you are planning to do then you can start looking but you are just confusing yourself by not having a specific need or goal. Yes, you want to full time in the future; then we find you also want to work; then we find your husband is a traveling musician. It is very difficult to give you answers when the needs keep changing.

That is why I think you need to step back and write everything down over the next few months, go to a few shows, then you can ask questions.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #37

Quote:
You have started out thinking Class C and have migrated over several others. A column of pros/cons for each Rv under consideration. Going from a Class C to a Toy Hauler is a very big jump.

Each time you respond back your needs/wants are changing. Once you decide what you are planning to do then you can start looking but you are just confusing yourself by not having a specific need or goal. Yes, you want to full time in the future; then we find you also want to work; then we find your husband is a traveling musician. It is very difficult to give you answers when the needs keep changing.

That is why I think you need to step back and write everything down over the next few months, go to a few shows, then you can ask questions.
The plan has always been to work while living full time in the motorhome. Both my husband and I have portable jobs that we can take on the road. We definitely want an overcab bunk and after looking around the class c toyhauler (Thor outlaw was the only one we could find, and class a is far bigger than we want) is too far out of budget for us, so we will make do with the converted bedroom.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Motorized Toy Hauler idea has been mentioned...so, take a look at these options that are available:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

We have one of the Outlaws and love it...could easily live in it, like these full-timers...the early model years are in your budget:
RV Outlawz | Denny and Veronica's adventures on the road!

There are Class C versions too, but we would think they are too small for full-time...but that's just us.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote