Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

My good friend just traded his 39' Winnebago Journey for a 43' Newmar MADP....

We were discussing the possibility of natural "restrictions" he might find in campgrounds,due to his length being over 40'.

While I'm sure there'd be issues in State Parks,he is mostly wondering what to expect in the average campground he will encounter in his travels...

Will pass along your comments.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

My good friend just traded his 39' Winnebago Journey for a 43' Newmar MADP....

We were discussing the possibility of natural "restrictions" he might find in campgrounds,due to his length being over 40'.

While I'm sure there'd be issues in State Parks,he is mostly wondering what to expect in the average campground he will encounter in his travels...

Will pass along your comments.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #3

Is there such a thing?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Probably at 43' your friend will be o.k. in most campgrounds.

But if your friend would have bought say a 45' coach, he better stay out west at the resorts, because he ain't getting into any cg's here in the east.
(Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!)
Old 05-05-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Dats jus darn outright MEAN!!

Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I can appreciate the difference between the eastern and western campgrounds. We generally travel out west but when we do hit the eastern (and even then - more like "sorta eastern" ) campgrounds things do get more compact.

Because we have our eye on a 42' Allegro Bus I've been taking mental notes at the various campgrounds we've gone to. Last summer we travelled all over Colorado and Utah and there would have been no problems fitting an extra 2' of coach into these sites. Out of 4 weeks travel and close to 20 different sites there were two sites that would have been close but if we would have parked the Wrangler sideways instead of nose-in we would still have fit both vehicles in the campsite and kept out of the traffic lanes. Last fall's trip to the Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and misc Wyoming areas could easily accomodate 45' rigs. And these are not high end resorts, just decent campgrounds.

Most campground want to upgrade there services and cater to the "big rig" trade but I think that they are just too tight on space in the eastern US campgrounds to do what the want to do. So, I guess the answer to your friend's question depends upon where he wants to go. Worse case scenario, you just park your toad by the office and do a bit of walking.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Mark....he has his eye on heading back toward your fave part of the States....One of the first long trips will be to Sturgis and then all over the top from there...
I'll send you a PM and explain Bill's joke!!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bob, Does your friend not have the Internet? If so you should invite him to post here. We don't bite.

But we may tease a little bit.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bob

We've been in military and civilian camprgounds from Delaware to New Mexico, and not had a problem anywhere with our 40' except for most of the KOAs we have been to having very narrow roads, tight turns, and tight sites. We now don't do KOAs unless we have absolutely no other choice. (They are normally overpriced too.) I don't think he'll have any problems with a 42' coach in "the average campground." But he won't be parking in a Cracker Barrell RV slot if he is pulling anything ...they are only about 40' long!!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Paul....

I have to agree with you on the "Cracker Barrel" issue as I turned a few head a few years ago in Jacksonville,FL during lunchtime with my 39' Journey and a 16' Haulmark box trailer...

Of course,once I opened the door to the trailer and showed off the Harleys inside,they all forgot how long I was...

No Harleys for me now,but my 43' MADP owning buddy still pulls a 20 footer with them in it sometimes....

He called me last night and told me his delivery date will be delayed as Howard RV found a bad a/c unit on their PDI of the unit and they have to wait for one from Newmar...

Mark....I'm not sure my buddy Jeff's "ready" for this crowd....
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #11

LOL - LOLROF-

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Been one of those days for my buddy Jeff....

Seems he received a call this morning from Howard RV,they told him the seller had backed out of the consignment deal. As it turns out,the seller had the coach at the dealer for service and decided to sell it....Instead of filling out the paper work,the dealer sent the papers to him.
In the meantime,Jeff was shown the coach and the seller accepted the offer....
Looks like Jeff isn't the only loser here as Howard loses a commission...

You can bet I won't be recommending the seller's home improvement company anytime soon!!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #13

Having been there and done it:
Length of camp site is not normally an issue but narrow roads, turning radius of coach and tree overhangs can combine to cause problems.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #14

I think the extra feet to 43 or 45' does not make that much difference once you reach the site. After all, how many times have you seen zero room front and back on a site. The problem may be getting into the site, as already pointed out. Tree heights and wheelbase lengths. If a park was built for 36' units it was probably designed for a 36' gas coach. Typically these coaaches have a big overhang but a short wheelbase. They can nogotiate the road turns and tree placement. That's with a say 200"+ wheelbase. Now bring in a 45 DP with 296" and possibly a tag behind that. It might require backing up to shuttle the wheelbase around a corner.

So, if you got one, no problem. You might have to shuttle the corners, but you will have to tell the camp, Length? Oh, 34' or so. Most seem to have no clue as to manuvering a large MH through a park.