Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Oxidized paint restoration?

What i have is a fiberglass/foam core exterior with very badly oxidized paint. Bad enough when you brush up against it you're left with white powder on your clothes! I will eventually repaint but till then, does anyone know of a good product that will at least gloss it up and remove the "powdered" surface? I know you can use buffing compounds and a buffer but is there a good wax, quick n easier fix anyone has found for their own rig? Just dont want to waste money on buying a dozen types before finding one that works...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraftmaster View Post
What i have is a fiberglass/foam core exterior with very badly oxidized paint. Bad enough when you brush up against it you're left with white powder on your clothes! I will eventually repaint but till then, does anyone know of a good product that will at least gloss it up and remove the "powdered" surface? I know you can use buffing compounds and a buffer but is there a good wax, quick n easier fix anyone has found for their own rig? Just dont want to waste money on buying a dozen types before finding one that works...
This just may be what you're looking for!

ZEP/Red Max Floor Wax

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...d/24431002.cfm
The key to achieving a good job is in the initial preperation

bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Well, I haven't used an floor wax on my coach nor know anyone local that did it so I tried a different approach…seems like it worked from testimonials but I jus couldn't put it in my RV.....anyway, I have an 04 Sea Breeze….it had a bit of yellowing/oxidation in the fiberglass as most campers that age have….I consulted with 2 friends of mine in the paint and body business and they both suggested buying a good dual action polisher, variable speed and using Meguiar’s Diamond Cut Polishing Compound #85….when you first apply it, it has abrasives in it that cut through the yellowing and oxidation and also eliminates swirls and fine scratches….as it heats up, the abrasives break down and then it polishes….it’s pretty neat stuff, simple and easy and with the dual action polisher, almost impossible to mess anything up….anyway, after that I waxed it with Meguiar’s RV and Marine Wax #56….I’d have to say we’re pleased with the results…not a swirl mark or anything left on the fiberglass…just clean, white and shiny like it should be… it took me 13 hours over a week to tape off the graphics, polish the entire coach twice and wax it once….made a world of difference and the wife and I couldn’t be happier ….total cost for the buffer, pads, compound and wax was about $325…I couldn’t find anyone local to do it for under $1000 so I think that’s a good deal for me….and I get to keep the buffer!!.....

One other thing about the floor wax would be, if you do plan on a new paint job, it may cost you more for them to strip that floor wax off when they prep it or give you problems if you plan to paint it yourself...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Poli glow

Stuff works great, it will look new is easy to apply holds up great, works better than any wax polish etc etc I have ever used.

Poliglow Products, Inc.| Manufacturer of Poli Glow, A New Concept in Boat Polish
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the same problem with my 99 HR endeavor. You mentioned the decals, they look worse than the main body any hope for them?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I have the same problem with my 99 HR endeavor. You mentioned the decals, they look worse than the main body any hope for them?

that poli glow will make the decals look better too
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

Thanks all! I've been workin on and living in this "restoration" project for a yr and have most all the functional stuff fixed, now on to cosmetics. After i replace the entire roof and decking and I plan to repaint. Then maybe Rockwell deuce and a half axles under the front and back! (I digress...lol) If i can find a local store with the poli i may try that first. The floor wax is a good idea! Never heard of that. Id consider the Meguires buffing IF the paint was salvageable...but the complete lack of basic care has damaged the paint to deeply. Id probably buff too easily through to'glass underneath... All great ideas and keep the suggestions coming! Btw a guy at Orilleys said "nu finish" or "TR3 Resin" polish
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

I have used PloyGlow on my Fleetwood Bounder 2002 and love the results. The most important part and hardest, is the use of Poly Prep to remove all the oxidation. After that, the rest is a breeze.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #9

Checked out the Poli website. Would you use the Poli prep or the Poli Ox first? Or are they the same thing?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
RWP

I used the Poli Glow product on an old boat I owned 15 or more years ago. It looked great for a couple of seasons, then yellowed in places and was nasty to remove. There may be no quick, easy, permanent solution for badly oxidized fiberglass. Don't mean to be s wet blanket ...just my experience.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #11

One other thing about the floor wax would be, if you do plan on a new paint job, it may cost you more for them to strip that floor wax off when they prep it or give you problems if you plan to paint it yourself...[/QUOTE]

ZEP Floor Wax is easily removed with either Ammonia or ZEP Floor Stripper. Simply wash your unit with either product and the floor wax is gone
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
oxidation

The fiberglass roof on my 05 Itasca was badly oxidized. I washed it down with TSP oxidation/cleaner and then painted the roof with Petit Easypoxy. Not saying paint the coach, but the TSP really cleaned the surface prior to painting
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraftmaster View Post
Checked out the Poli website. Would you use the Poli prep or the Poli Ox first? Or are they the same thing?
Poli ox then poli prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWP View Post
I used the Poli Glow product on an old boat I owned 15 or more years ago. It looked great for a couple of seasons, then yellowed in places and was nasty to remove. There may be no quick, easy, permanent solution for badly oxidized fiberglass. Don't mean to be s wet blanket ...just my experience.
Mine has been on the motorhome for 12 years, reapplied it every about 2 to 3 years, on my boats for 3 years. I also been doing it on the side and never had one preson come back and complain ........ Sounds odd I dont know what happend to yours unless staining in the fiberglass or something

Just a FYI poli prep removes the poli glow real easy
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #14

I used Poly Ox first to remove the most stubborn oxidation followed by Poly Prep then PolyGlow. You need to apply at least 4 coats of PolyGlow to really start getting a nice shine. Every spring (last 2 years) I reapply a new coat of PolyGlow after a good cleaning. I have not experienced any yellowing during the past 3 years. But i have to say, that my motorhome does not sit in the water; If it makes any difference.
During our past summer trips, I have had few campers come up to me and ask what i used to get it so shinny. My motorhome turned 10 years old last summer and it doesn't even show.

Tags
paint