Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Pac brake with transmission brake?

We have a 6 speed Allison transmission with a transmission brake. I use it all the time and it works reasonably well. We live in the NW and do a lot of mountain driving. What are your thoughts of adding a Pac Brake in conjunction with the transmission brake? I know the Allison transmission is a good one, but the wear and tear on it concerns me to run the RPM's close to 2500 on a steep grade and have to keep tapping the brakes to keep the RPM's down. The truck has an on/off switch on the gear shift and I would install this same set up in the MH. Probably locate the switch next to the transmission brake switch. That way I could add additional braking to the transmission brakes by simply turning the Pac Brake switch on. You can leave it on if you want and it only takes effect when letting off the accelerator, but I usually turn it off after using it in the truck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
How did you determine that you have a transmission brake? I really don't think you have one, especially on a lower end coach. Transmissions have retarders and the only production coach that I know of that has one is the Foretravel. Retarders are also found in custom coach conversions.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
It is a transmission brake. When you press the switch it reduces your gears one speed ie., 4th gear down to third gear (we're not talking about changing gears on the dock). A transmission brake sensor lights up on the dash and the RPM's immediately go up bringing the speed of the MH down just like a Pac Brake.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Looking at our Allison manual, they call it a retarder. "when the retarder is activated, the fluid in the accumulator is pressurized by the vehicle air system and directed into the retarder cavity. The interaction of the fluid with the rotating and stationary vanes causes the retarder rotor speed, and hence the output shaft, to decrease and slow the vehicle or to limit speed on a downhill grade. There are three applications for this: brake peddle with switch, hand lever with switch, foot peddle with switch, or main switch using all three applications." We have the switch for all three applications.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
KIX

Here's a pdf on the trans.retarder.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...t=SA2953EN.pdf

Our coach has the retarder AND a Jacobs Extarder. Jacobs Extarder is just a Jacobs brand trade name for an exhaust brake. The two features work very well together.
I am not familiar with your specific coach and am guessing that it's a gas coach since you don't have an exhaust brake. I don't think you can utilize an exhaust brake on a gas engine coach.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Kix, It's a 2002 37U Discovery with 330 cat. I will be calling Fleetwood tomorrow with the VIN of the coach and serial number on the Allison and see what they think. I may call Allison too. Will let you know what I find out.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
When I activate my PAC brake the transmission automatically drops one gear to help slow the coach.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have an exhaust brake on my Journey and the Allison 3000MH. Anyone ever add the retarder later on?
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Will be interested to hear what Fleetwood says - have never heard of a Discovery with the Allison Retarder installed. I don't think Fleetwood ever offered it as an option, but maybe a previous owner upgraded to it? But its not an inexpensive retrofit - the retarder is usually installed in the tranny at the Allison factory and delivered as part of the OEM tranny install.

I've only seen a few Allison Retarder installations, but they all had "RETARDER" right on the dash switch.

I see no reason why an exhaust brake could not be used in conjunction with it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
/Users/CraigRinker/Desktop/IMG_5212.JPG/Users/CraigRinker/Desktop/IMG_5220.JPGWill be interested to hear what Fleetwood says - have never heard of a Discovery with the Allison Retarder installed. I don't think Fleetwood ever offered it as an option, but maybe a previous owner upgraded to it? But its not an inexpensive retrofit - the retarder is usually installed in the tranny at the Allison factory and delivered as part of the OEM tranny install.

I've only seen a few Allison Retarder installations, but they all had "RETARDER" right on the dash switch.

Hopefully these pics of my side switches come thru. I believe the "R" inside a cog is what you are talking about? Was unable to get a hold of Fleetwood today....will try tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
OK..I'll try pics again.....not very computer savy!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only manufacturer that uses the transmission retarder as factory equipment is Foretravel. It's a very expensive retrofit and it's built into the transmission, not an add on. Might even require a new transmission case.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Please bare with me........hopefully this works?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	615.3 KB
ID:	33755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	33756  

Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
We have every receipt of every nut, bolt, oil change etc. that was ever put into this coach since new. There's nothing for the transmission. The switches are definitely factory installed, however, they do not coincide with the switches shown in our Discovery Owners manual. Maybe it was a special order?

Tags
brake, transmission