Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Pacbrake and VGT turbo

I purchased a 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune where the previous owners for 5 years parked it at a campsite all summer and then stored it all winter. I am now using it more often than them. When driving I keep the pacbrake on all the time when possible. It seems to work fine, should I lube it? If yes how often? Will this prevent any problems that could have occurred from lack of use? I was looking to pick up some super lube silicone in a spray can, because it is available locally. Was told that it is the same product as pacbrake lube. Also I was told to lube the VGT turbo, is that possible? Want this MH to last so overkill is fine by me, lol. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #2

You can not "lube" the VGT, but it must be disassembled if the vanes inside are seized up from sitting.

Working it out is good. To do that, floor it and get it good and hot.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Ok, I called Monaco and gave them my vin number and they have no record of a pacbrake being installed? In the MH there is an off/on switch that says "exhaust brake". In the manual there are instructions on how to lube the "pacbrake". I called Cummins and they said the ISB can not have a pacbrake put on, or any exhaust brake, it is the VGT that does the engine retard. I do not have the MH with me to physically look, any insight here? I just assumed there was. If not how do you maintain the VGT to avoid seize ups?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Just because Monaco has no record of the PacBrake, doesn't mean it's not there. They only record things done at Monaco dealers who enter it into the Monaco system.

PacBrake is a brand name. Exhaust brake is generic. Do you have a manual and paperwork with the MH?

Do you understand how a VGT works? If not, you need to read up. It's simple, but you need to understand it.
The exhaust brake can be the VGT closing to increase boost to increase engine pressure and back pressure, so the engine has more resistance.
The preventative maintenance on a VGT is to work it hard and keep the vanes moving a lot, and don't excessively idle without running it hot to clean it out.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #5

I appreciate your reply. The manual for my MH says on the front cover 2005 Neptune. On the chassis page it gives instructions how to lube it with the heading "pacbrake lubrication". Like I said they have no record of it being installed, and informed me that there is none. When I get to where my MH is stored, looking will be the best answer. Cummins did say that an "ISB 300 5.9l" can not have a pacbrake put on because the VGT does the job. I assume my engine would either be a late 2004 or early 2005. I do not want to get there and find there is one and not have the proper lube. I was going to order the lube and do not want to waste my money if it is not needed. If there is any one else with this year and model, that has input that would be appreciated, or even this engine? Once again, thanks for your help
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #6

For " exact " information you're going to need the engine serial number to confirm the information on the turbo from Cummins.
Short of disassembly proper use is the maintenance required of the VVT turbo.
I thought the anagram was for Variable Vane Technology .
I guess I've got a project for the day, find out the correct term.
Get to my age and the mind is the second thing to go... and you can't remember what the first one was.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #7

VVT - variable vane turbo
VVT - variable vane technology
VGT - variable geometry turbo
VGT - variable geometry technology

6 to half a dozen.

I learned it as VGT so I say variable geo. turbo.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
VVT - variable vane turbo
VVT - variable vane technology
VGT - variable geometry turbo
VGT - variable geometry technology

6 to half a dozen.

I learned it as VGT so I say variable geo. turbo.
Thanks ; I was beginning to think my DW was right , when she says " you've lost it ".
Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

I gave Cummins the engine number and this is what he said. At first though I felt he had no idea what I was talking about. Probably first line tech support who mostly answers general questions. Here is the link with the info Cummins Southern Plains - ISB Engine RV Maintenance & Operation
Hopefully I can sort this out before I leave to get my MH. Either get the lube or not
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Here is a picture of and exhaust brake ( Pac Brake ) this assembly mounts to the turbo and the exhaust pipe. If you don't see one of these on your engine the you have a VGT turbo, and don't need the lube.
I know you wanted to figure this out before you left for your RV , but I think you should wait till you look at the engine.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
I purchased a 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune where the previous owners for 5 years parked it at a campsite all summer and then stored it all winter. I am now using it more often than them. When driving I keep the pacbrake on all the time when possible. It seems to work fine, should I lube it? If yes how often? Will this prevent any problems that could have occurred from lack of use? I was looking to pick up some super lube silicone in a spray can, because it is available locally. Was told that it is the same product as pacbrake lube. Also I was told to lube the VGT turbo, is that possible? Want this MH to last so overkill is fine by me, lol. Thanks
To answer your question, no, as you don't have one. You have a VGT that requires no lubrication. Below is an excerpt from the link YOU provided:

Exhaust Brakes
Exhaust Brakes can not be used on ISB engines with Common Rail Fuel systems. The Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) takes the place of the exhaust brake and requires no maintenance

Following is a link to the Cummins engine listed in the 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune Brochure. It clearly states it uses a VGT as the exhaust brake:

http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4971102.pdf

Here is an excerpt from that pdf:

■ Engine braking without additional add-on hardware The VG Turbo functions as an engine brake
Eliminates exhaust brake maintenance concerns

Hope this helps.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

I noticed in that brochure that it mentions it is compliant with the 2007 emissions standards. Would there have been any changes in the engine if mine was a 2005? It says that a Coalescing filter needs to be replaced after 24 months? No where in my manual that I can see where it mentions about that either. I appreciate your help. Is it better to have VGT as a retarder or a pacbrake? Or just apples to oranges?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #13

Apples and oranges , both systems work well, to help slow your coach.
Here is info that I have on air dryer service.
But maybe your talking about a different filter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 27 views)

Tags
brake