RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
You might run into the requirement at a few higher end resort style campgrounds where the individual camp sites are asphalt but in general it is pretty rare.

Anchor Down in eastern Tennessee is the only one east of the Mississippi that I've encountered that mention pads but most of my outings are usually to places a bit more primitive and lower cost per night.

If I was going to estimate the percentage maybe 2%.

New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US
Agree with two percent. The only place I've been that required pads was Scott County Park outside Davenport Iowa - and they had concrete spots. Really great park to visit.

buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #44

We use the snap pads on our rig, they work great, do not leave impressions when put down on asphalt. Great for uneven applications. Once snapped on. Forget about them.

Ramzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
WDW

Pads for under Leveling Jacks?

OFF TOPIC - but spot on:

Tighten your landing pad feet. I lost one this spring on a “shake out trip” to get our traveling season going. In checking the others , they were working loose too!

Oh, and we love our snap pads. We have a black top driveway so it’s very convenient when we come home. In other locations we found them to be very beneficial particularly where the ground is a little messy.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieCt View Post
Lifting wheels off the ground is not a great idea for a few reason, one if you are on a slop that requires that much to level your in trouble, my Tuscany is a DP, and lifting the e-brake wheels off the ground i be afraid it roll of the blocks...

Second thing is my DP gross is 38,000 and the jack hoses are rated at 3,000. PSI....do the math....that is only 12,000. Lb. for all 4 hose or 6,000lb for 2. Hoses, that may explained one of the reason they say NOT to lift wheels off the ground.....

I was at Louden NH at the Race in September this year and seen many RV with wheels off the ground, but when the park you in rows 3-5 feet apart if you fall of boards and roll back i hope to heck no one is walking behind the rv at the time...if so I sure it will make the 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock news.... never one hell of a law suite, not even a umbrella policy will be enough, not worth losing everything you worked years for to lifting wheels off the ground.....
The ratings of your hydraulic lines do not have a direct bearing on the lift capability of the jacks , until you get to failure point. For illustration purposes, say your lines are indeed pressurized at 3000 psi by the hydraulic pump and are 3/8" lines and if your jacks are 3" in diameter. the force at each jack will be approximately 10x that in the line or 30,000 lbs per jack. Pascal’s Principle is what explains this behaviour .
Regarding lifting the wheels off the ground and rolling... since you were at a race, you've probably seen cars on jack stands at all 4 corners of teh race cars in the garage. They don't fall off( I know the garage floors are flat) but if the jacks are properly secured to the RV, it will not roll away, the only way that will happen is if the jack connection point to the RV frame breaks/bends and then it would drop to the ground when the e-brake will prevent of from rolling. Probably worse case it it moves a foot or so and you have a weld to repair

To the question about parks requiring pads, I've come across 1 that I remember in 20+ years of class A travels. I think it's unnecessary if your jacks have large pads as something like a snap pad will only increase the footprint slightly, of course that is the park owners right to require them. I personally do not carry any pads anymore as I have large feet on my jacks and like I said I've only been to 1 park that required them.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA...Neil View Post
The slickest thing I've seen is a guy bought a piece of "recycled rubber stall matt" at the tractor store and cut it up into squares that slide into a milk crate for storage. Indestructible, cheap and perfect for this application. There's a couple videos on YouTube of people cutting them with a utility knife. Might be worth it to split the cost of one with a buddy. They're not expensive but they are pretty big and heavy.
I think the above comment may be referring to a post I made earlier this year.
The plywood and stall mat material totalled only $30.00 for the 4 pads and have proven to work well.
I found that contact cement did not work well in holding the rubber to the plywood and ended up using floor screws.
Yes, they are heavy, but solid and do stack neatly in a milk crate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6537.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	217482  
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #48

Snap Pads

Another vote for Snap Pads. When we pull into a site, DW no longer has to open a storage compartment, get jack pads out and get on her hands and knees to attempt to center the pads under the jacks. I really hate it when she doesn't get them centered the first time and I have to raise the jacks so she can try again. She also gets real upset when it is raining or muddy and always complains about how gravel hurts her knees. Now, once she has me in the right spot on a site, I engage the parking brake and hit the auto-level button. Same thing when leaving - unhook and raise the jacks. She doesn't have to crawl under the coach to retrieve, clean and store the jack pads. Well worth $175.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What I use Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3830.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	217582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	217583
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
You might run into the requirement at a few higher end resort style campgrounds where the individual camp sites are asphalt but in general it is pretty rare.

Anchor Down in eastern Tennessee is the only one east of the Mississippi that I've encountered that mention pads but most of my outings are usually to places a bit more primitive and lower cost per night.

If I was going to estimate the percentage maybe 2%.

New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US
Some of the state parks in Indiana have asphalt sites - we just spent Labor Day at Charlestown State Park on an asphalt site. I didn’t use a pad but the point of spreading the load is well taken for many places - asphalt or not.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
WE use Snap Pads on our rig and they work great.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm surprised at how heavy some of you make your pads. I found a piece of 5/8 plywood in my stash and cut four 18"x16" pads. Painted them with flat green camo paint to blend in and drilled a 5/16" hole along one edge. That way I can use a piece of bent 1/4" rod both to insert under the coach and retrieve. That's all I need for soft ground on my 26,000# coach. And they take up hardly any room in the basement.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
I'm surprised at how heavy some of you make your pads. I found a piece of 5/8 plywood in my stash and cut four 18"x16" pads. Painted them with flat green camo paint to blend in and drilled a 5/16" hole along one edge. That way I can use a piece of bent 1/4" rod both to insert under the coach and retrieve. That's all I need for soft ground on my 26,000# coach. And they take up hardly any room in the basement.
So I see Tahoe’s point. Plus snap pads may be handy to not have to install but do they spread the load enough? I see what happens most often is that the pads sink. And thats with lightweight rigs. My unit weighs 49000#.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks