Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Paint Peeling

I see the paint on my 2011 Four Winds Serrano is only peeling at the roof line. I have no idea as to why and haven't heard back from Thor. I need to get the paint codes. Any one have any ideas.. Here is a picture.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	66709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	66711  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the paint codes but I can tell you that it's probably caused by the brutal exposure to the sun that the top edge of the coach gets. My 2007 has started doing the same thing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the paint codes but I can tell you that it's probably caused by the brutal exposure to the sun that the top edge of the coach gets. My 2007 has started doing the same thing.

Rick

That's a problem that cuts across most manufacturers. After 11 years out died I had to have the top radius painted this year. I have known many coaches by many manufacturers and a large range of years.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While the upper surfaces are likely to be the first to fail, the way yours is failing suggests to me that it may be poor surface prep prior to painting. If just sun damage I'd expect the damage to be more "linear", or about the same the entire length of the radius, not coming off in chunks.

There are a lot of cars and trucks that are never garaged, outside all the time, and you won't typically see paint failure in only three years.

Do you know any good automotive painters that could take a look and give an opinion?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same problem with mine. My plan is to scrape off what's left and leave it.
It does indeed look like poor surface preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
I have a 2011 Thor Daybreak. The paint codes are on the build sheet that gives you all the serial numbers for the coach components. I found my build sheet in the cabinet above the bed left corner. You also should have had bottles of touch up paint with your coach giving the codes and company painting your coach. Mine were in the cabinet above the drivers seat.

I have one paint chip above the awning in the same area. Since this area is roof material,I believe it is more prone to chipping due to the material. If it was not prepared correctly and the paint mixed with the correct amount of flex agent chipping will occur.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

Both my 2010 Fourwinds Painted AC's looked like that after 2 years
I suspect poor prep
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to be the one but my 82 has none just oxidation. Just haven't done it. Rest of mh has been done and am on 4th coat of wax.
What a drag on such a nice MH too.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine started peeling at about 8 years old, but mostly just the clear coat. It seems odd to me that paint would be coming off so soon for you; your coach is still pretty new. Have you been through some haboobs? Is it the same on both sides, or just one side? \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess you join the many of us that this has happened to. Ours has been painted twice and it's starting to look bad again. I'm thinking of having a wrap applied on the upper section. I think I have just found a company here in MI that can do it. I hope to visit them on Monday to see what they have available.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

I bought this unit used from a stealer I mean dealer. Yea its just one side, the driver side. I will contact Thor this week to see if they will do anything for me. I doubt they will.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ours has some paint chipped off in the front and at the entrance door, but its 22 years old, think that's to soon? I think we are going to take off a couple of the detail strips and redo them, that will help a lot. The one at the top is very faded. It's just to old to spend money having it painted or at least we think so, it still looks pretty good.

Hubby also has to repair a fiberglass area at the bottom front around the turn light, was like that when we bought it, he hasn't had time but will.

That would make me sick to see a 2011 peeling, must be a poor preparation job or bad paint. Who knows maybe they tried to go way thinner to save money.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So here's what I've decided to do.
I contacted a local automotive graphics company, here it's called Trimline East, they have sheet vinyl by 3M. I'm getting two pieces of gloss black, there are other colours available, 4"x31'. Total cost $96.50 CDN tax in. I'm thinking that's a whole lot cheaper than paint.
I don't know how much it would cost for them to apply it as I'm doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

Great Idea on the Vinyl. Where you get that at IDsailor? Wonder if I can get some ordered on line.

Tags
paint