Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Angry Paint scratches

Just got home from a trip and noticed scratches in the paint from tree branches
Any suggestions on how to get them out?

Any help would be appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Depends on how deep they are. Can you see them when they are wet? I would start by lightly wet sanding them with 2000 grit paper. Then buff with Mequire's 100 compound followed by a good wax.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

rb4x4,

I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax exclusively on my coach and cars as it contains a very mild abrasive compound safe for clear coats.

It leaves a protective wax finish and is great for removing residual bug residue from the front end as well.

At the last rally I attended, I used it to remove tree branch transfer all along the passenger side of a brand new coach and it worked great. Some spots you may have to work harder on than others.

You can get it at most auto parts stores, wally world or even HD and Lowes. Seen it in some grocery stores too.

Hope this helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_145312.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	220264
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I had this happen to me as well. I went to a local body shop supply house and explained what I did and how it looked. What they recommended was a 3M 3 stage polishing method/product. I purchased it with the 3 pad and 3 polishes. I had never put a power polisher to ,y coach so I was worried. Well, it worked perfect, WOW, was it simple. The 3M polish is available on Amazon Anand is 06085, 06064, 06068 and the pads are the 3M Perfect-it-Buff Pad Kit.

BTW, since I bought and have used this I’ve seen a number of body shops that use the same process to fix scratches in the clear coat.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #5

Had the same problem. Multiple scratches from front to rear - 36 feet. Some on both sides.

Bought a random orbital polisher from HD. Bought a few extra bonnets for polishing and buffing.

Bought car rubbing compound and polishing compound (two different cans).

Used the machine - saved my arms. Started with rubbing compound, finished with finishing compound.

Coated with Rejex.

Scratches are gone - unless you look incredibly close.

Be patient and do a few feet at a time - use the instructions on the polisher - apply the compound sparingly to the dry polishing pad and polish. Clean the pad or switch to keep from building up oxidized paint.

Easy and a useful tool.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #6

X2 for Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I used a random orbital polisher and a lot of time. My scratch was about 25 feet long. When I ran my fingernail over the scratch I couldn't feel it except in a few places. It took me about a day to remove the scratch and another day to wax the rest of the coach.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
X2 for Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I used a random orbital polisher and a lot of time. My scratch was about 25 feet long. When I ran my fingernail over the scratch I couldn't feel it except in a few places. It took me about a day to remove the scratch and another day to wax the rest of the coach.
+1 for the random orbital polisher - your shoulders are grateful, as are mine!
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The first step I'd try is Scratch Doctor (can't remember mfr). Many times minor scratches are only in the clear coat and Scratch Doctor does very well in covering the scratch. I've been very pleased (almost amazed) at some of the results. If scratch is real deep, or into the paint itself, it may not be effective enough. Worth a try.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD, 2015 Equinox
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Loc: Mich
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

As stated earlier , gotta determine how bad they are, are they thru clear coat into base coat, If that is the case you will not buff the scratches out. I seriously doubt they are that deep , generally tree branches don't do much other that scuff the clear a bit but can look really bad . As far as what to use , 3M is pretty much the best product out there concerning finishing , most pros use these products. Ive painted over 40 years off and on and have used their products many times, but you may not need anything more than the Meguiars which are some great products but generally are more like a light buffing compound. Whatever you use, I suggest trying a place that is not as noticeable and use the less abrasive approach which could be the Mequiars and see if that works . More than likely it will require a lot of elbow grease. I have done an entire car with 3m products to remove orange peel from the factory. I started with 1200, then 1500 and I think may have used 2000 but finished with 3000 trizact which sorta buffs and cuts a bit and followed that with a couple of their polishing compounds and swirl removers. On the trizact 3000 , you just spray a very little bit of water and it will cut and polish but will still need a polishing type compound , of which there are several different levels of cutting / polishing . Whaever you use , be sure to Keep area clean between changes fro different grits, at these extremely fine grits a small amount of dirt or dust can scratch what you just did. After saying all that , My bet ( or hope for your sake ) the scratches are not as bad as you think.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

I use Meguires Scratch X. It works faster with a buffer but if the scratches are not too deep you can do it by hand. This product has abrasive particles that break down into smaller particles as you buff. It's like sandpaper that automatically changes to a finer and finer grit as you buff.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #11

Griot's, for a few extra dollars, has stellar buffers and compounds. All of their products (buffer, hose nozzle, squeegee, whatever) have a lifetime warranty.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
Depends on how deep they are. Can you see them when they are wet? I would start by lightly wet sanding them with 2000 grit paper. Then buff with Mequire's 100 compound followed by a good wax.

If you have full body paint with several coats of clear coat and you start sanding with 2000 grit paper, you are going to dull that clear coat and ruin the paint job. On clear coat you can not use anything abrasive.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4x4 View Post
Just got home from a trip and noticed scratches in the paint from tree branches
Any suggestions on how to get them out?

Any help would be appreciated
Paint scratches are part of using your coach. Get the right equipment and a little online coaching and you will keep your coach shining better than new.

I have used Chemical Guys product for a few years and found it to be a very good product with excellent customer service.
I've taken out some pretty mean scratches with my Torq dual action polisher and Chemical Guys compounds.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/HOW_TO_ARTICLES_s/338.htm

https://youtu.be/L5qtEUpVrSM
Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #14

$3 bottle of "Scratch Out" in the yellow bottle. It is a clear coat filler.
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, scr