Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

paint/undercoat the frame?

Hello everyone. I was thinking about taking on a spring project. Has anyone painted the frame with por15 or did any kind of rustproofing? I have a 97 f53 that looks good yet and I'd like to keep it that way. Anyone tackle this project? How did you go about it?
james621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I'm going to undercoat mine I think that is the best protection. I used undercoating in my battery box and it is holding up very well.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

The frame has enough protection built in from the factory. There is no need for that. In fact it may make any rust or future rust even worse. Under coating will trap in moisture and speed up the rusting process. Undercoating is one of the worst things you can do to your vehicle. Go to a reputable body shop and ask the guys that work there.

As a side story, a buddy of mine bought a used truck. The body was in excellent condition. He was talked into a rust proofing treatment. I warned him not to and the body shop at the dealer that i worked at. He did not listen. Within a year the truck was rotting out. It was bad. Come time to cash in the warranty on all the rust from the undercoating company, they offered to rerust proof it for him but they would not repair the damage because the truck was purchased used.

My first motorhome was on a 93 F53 chassis and just sold it a few months ago. Here in the upper USA where salt is used (but stored outside in the winter), the frame was in perfect condition.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I regularly have painted rusty bits on the f350 and 5er without any negative consequence. Although I don't think I am thinking of painting the frame.....yet. But check with a auto body shop first.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
james621 check the internet you will find some very good coatings that not only will protect the underside of your coach the coatings are proven rust stoppers and rust preventers. For those who live where salt is put on the highways I don't think anything will stop the corrosion. I lived in northern Ohio and if you did not undercoat (properly) after a few years corrosion set in and just started eating everything. Thank God I'm in the south where I see no snow and no salt. I'm still going to coat the exposed underside of my coach. Good Luck.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking more in the lines of por15. When I was a younger lad I made the mistake of buying an older truck with undercoating and learned it was rusted pretty bad underneath the shiny black. I swear I just look for projects to do until camping season begins. N.Y. is just starting to warm up after a long winter
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Sounds like way to much work .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

POR15 (paint over rust)is a very messy and expensive process. I doubt the benefit would overcome the cost and effort.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
POR15 (paint over rust)is a very messy and expensive process. I doubt the benefit would overcome the cost and effort.
WRONG.....We are a por15 dealer up here, http://por15.ca . If done right, step by step by the book, you'll have OUTSTANDING results tenfold. It is a lot of work but that's the science behind the product.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

^^^^ My opinion was only based upon my personal experience with a Jeep. I simply multiplied the size of the job by 5. No slam at the product intended.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did por 15 on a few trailers. its a good product. I cant see you being able to do a motorhome frame without complete disassembly or lots of tedious taping.

Perhaps a some light media blasting, cold galvanizing spray with a top coat of your favorite flat black would be the easiest way.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

stay away from rubberized undercoating. I did my truck with that stuff, and it seems that it loosens in spots, water just gets behind it, develops water bubbles, and you get even more rust.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I BELIEVE DO IT YOUR SELF RUST PROOFING IS WORTH THE EFFORT THE WAY I DO IT

1. Frame & under-body must be clean. Strong soap & high pressure water. Let dry & recheck.
2. Remove flaking rust. 100psi air hose with a straight through nozzle rubbing directly across the rusty area. (Eye protection with goggles is a must have)
3. Spray rust with a rust converter product.
4. Spray a couple light coats of rubberized undercoating as needed.

Touch-up yearly or as needed. Always use #3 first on new rust .
Dwight
Motorhoming since 1959
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the responses. Dwight, that was exactly what I had in mind. Not sure about undercoating over the rust converter though. Its supposed to be in the fifties this weekend. May be the weekend to go at it. Do I need to tape off anything besides the harnesses? Is it ok to rustproof over the brake lines?