Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Unhappy painted over graphics (decals) how to remove?

On my 2006 Four winds Hurricane 31D, someone painted over some of the graphics with black paint. Now the paint is peeling because they did not remove the old graphic first. How can I remove the paint and the old graphic? I want to paint new graphics following the old ones with new color. I have read about removing the old graphics, but not about ones that were painted over.

2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Go to home depot they have decal remover but so does wal mart call goo gone it will take a lg. Bottle. I just did my rv paint and re decal it

sneice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Use a blow dryer (heat gun if you have one but be careful) and a plastic razor blade. If any adhesive is left use Rapid Remover.
fredtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
You might try a pressure washer and a turbo nozzle. I completely shredded the decals on my Kubota tractor by accident. I was pressure washing it and swung the nozzle over the hood decal. All I saw was this white stuff flying around me. I thought "what the heck was that?" Then I saw what was left of my brand new tractors hood decal. It looked like a wild cat had shredded it. Oh well, I made another pass with the turbo nozzle and no more evidence there was ever a decal there.
If I ever remove my RV decals the turbo nozzle will be the 1st try. I just painted over my graphics last week. My RV looks 10 years newer now. I did clean and prep. the decal by washing, buffing with steel wool, wiping with mineral sprits and rewiping with Naptha . I then painted a vinyl primer to the decal and followed up with a good coat of 1shot sign painters enamel. I chose this because the paint mfg. said their paint could be applied to a vinyl banner if you used the correct primer. I can always touch it up if a bad spot shows up or just blast them off, time will tell. The painting was easy it was the prep that really worked me. 6 hours just to tape off one side. Mike
Mike, Stacy,Preston & Dutch, our German Short Haired Pointer
2001 38.5' Dutch Star DP, 2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote