Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Painting an RV ceiling

Although the headliner in my 89 RV is in great shape with thankfully zero water stains it is still looking aged and yellowing from cooking/time. Does anyone know if its possible to paint the overhead, if so with what paint/primer/stain? Technic would also be thankful.
Any help would be great. I did try to wash it with a mild detergent which did lighten it quite a bit, but I would love to get it back to bright white again.
MrT1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Don’t know your situation, my experience is that most ceilings are some kind of fabric. One coach we had, the fabric and backing were glued in place. Time and temp caused the glue to fail, and the fabric to fall.
If it is fabric....how much luck have you had painting fabric?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our ole Toyhouse (Toyota Dolphon) had a panel ceiling (solid, not fabric)

We had a few water leak spots that didn't clean up. so decided to paint it. We painted "Kilz-it" on the water spots first. after that dried, we painted the ceiling with regular ole ceiling paint. Turned out very nice.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fabric ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Don’t know your situation, my experience is that most ceilings are some kind of fabric. One coach we had, the fabric and backing were glued in place. Time and temp caused the glue to fail, and the fabric to fall.
If it is fabric....how much luck have you had painting fabric?
It appears to be some kind of fabric ceiling glued to wood. It is tight and not sagging anywhere, nor is it water stained, just yellowing, mostly from age.

I have never dyed or painted fabric and have no idea where to start. However to my own credit (not bragging) I am a fairly great painter of just about everything else.

I am looking for clues, help, products that will help me bring back a clean white ceiling without replacing that headliner. My biggest fear is that paint will cause the glue to separate the material and wood backing. Cleaning at the age its at (29 yrs) did ok, but still way off from what I was after.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

We used Awesome Spray cleaner from any Dollar store which worked great on our RV ceiling.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

You might also want to google use of hydrogen peroxide and UV light to remove yellowing.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Looks like a couple of other options. One more thought: before you take the plunge, why not try these options and your paint idea inside a closet or cabinet? Be sure and be asl thorough as you would be in a large area. Give it some time and see what happens. I promise you, if that glue fails your ceiling will be a lot worse than it is right now.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good advice...I am overly worried about the material seperating from the wood. I am only doing inside of the cabinets for now.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Water based paint shouldn't hurt the glue but might not stick. I'd check out the vinyl stains that some auto paint stores carry.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am almost considering white shoe polish at this point...lol

Tags
ceiling, paint