Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
painting decals

Hi,
I have removed a few decals from our 05 Tiffin 32BA. The shape of the decals can be seen looking at an angle because the under decal paint is shinier that the rest.
Can body shops tape the exact decal shape and paint them even if they only show looking at an angle?
Hope I explained this well enough.
Tim fm Ct

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2

Check with your local body shop. They may be able to polish the clear coat in the area so you don't see the present outline.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Check with your local body shop. They may be able to polish the clear coat in the area so you don't see the present outline.
I'd like to have the same "decals" painted. I'm hoping that the slight difference in appearance of the removed area will be enough to have them be painted "exactly".

It must be difficult to tape the curves smoothly.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
I'd like to have the same "decals" painted. I'm hoping that the slight difference in appearance of the removed area will be enough to have them be painted "exactly".

It must be difficult to tape the curves smoothly.
There are plenty of body shops that can do that. Call around and ask. I used to tape off graphics for body shops (I used to be a sign artist) and it is not difficult to do.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

... Best of all, you can have the graphics match the toad!
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
There are plenty of body shops that can do that. Call around and ask. I used to tape off graphics for body shops (I used to be a sign artist) and it is not difficult to do.
Do you think it could be a "do it yourselfer" ?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Auto Paint shops can paint anything. They make tape that goes around and over curves etc. Its highly unlikely you can 'buff out' the ghost of the decal. Companies sell RV decals, now finding the exact match might a challenge...Google search and see what you find. Painting instead of decals is nice, never peels up etc...but you pay for it too
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
My 90 georgie Boy was several years old when the decals began to fade and crack. Georgie Boy had them in stock. Used heat gun and carb cleaner to remove old, local detailer applied one side (using soap film) and I did the other with his supervision.. Of course it was a very simple decal pattern..

Anyway check with Tiffin-- may be easy.. Otherwise a vinyl lettering/sign company may be able to duplicate.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

keep in mind most 5ers and some motorhome have... know i did not spelling it right.. >>filon<< sides is why they use decals over the side they like to chock

if your rv is to the age where its starting to chock i would not spend the money on car type paint but if you wanted to do it your self ..sand and use oil based paint

the cost to just get new decals is lower then higher end paints .. my dad had a sign shop for some years there are some decals that do have car type paint in them and can last 20 years and would stick more then the paint would at this time

your decals was the 5 to 7 year type
Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fm ct View Post
Do you think it could be a "do it yourselfer" ?
I painted some of mine and it turned out pretty darn good. Got a couple pf other spots that need some paint. Maybe in the near future.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I painted some of mine and it turned out pretty darn good. Got a couple pf other spots that need some paint. Maybe in the near future.
Could you summarize how you did it? Type of paint, professional spray gun or just aerosol can or brush? Was it the first time you tired something like that or have you painted other projects? Wondering if average Joe would be able to have good results. A picture would be great

Tags
paint