Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Painting Outside

Has anyone ever painted the outside of their motor home? Mine is fading, decals are cracking and overall a dull finish. Ideas and costs if anyone has done this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it will help you, I painted the outside of my last coach, and 88 Itasca Windcruiser. In order to do a quality job, you must remove all of the outside hardware; Awnings, Lights, Chrome, etc. you must remove all of the vinyl decorations and the glue that holds them. You must then sand down the entire coach with fine sandpaper (80 grit or finer) After this, you must apply a double coat of quality primer that is matched with the overcoat that you plan to finish with. Lastly, finish with a top-grade Polyurethane two-part paint and if desired, a clear finish coat.
Cost to do this should run about $2,000.00 if you do it all yourself.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Although my coach is only 8 years old, the black decals were starting to peal, and the metallic bronze decals had faded to a tan. The fiberglass had done what they all do; turn an antique white, or slightly yellowed. Time to fix it.

My coach doesn't have the exotic, Newell-type of graphics, because no mortal man can do that in his driveway. The decals on mine were pretty straightforward, and easy to work with/around.

Started off removing decals. Mistake #1. Leaving them on there allows you to duplicate them easily. Otherwise, masking curves along 25' is a PITA that can't end well until you've done it a LOT of times. Leave the decals be, and just cut out the pealed parts and glaze those areas.

This is fiberglass, so you can use boat paint like Interlux. Bright, shiny, glossy, hard as nails, last a loooong time. Solid colors only, but single stage paint you can apply with a gun or by roll/tip method.

If you want a metallic paint, you pretty much have to use the tough paints to apply DIY. I chose background of bright white, and graphics are red and black.

No need to remove a lot of things, because most of my sections were bordered by drip rail or waist rail or a slide. Easy to mask off. For basement hatches, they are removed easily with 4 screws. (factory didn't remove to paint, but I did).

Still working on it, but here's some samples:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	71618   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 018.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	71619  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 033.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	71620  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

The silver is OEM paint, and didn't need anything done to it. If you go this route, use nothing courser than 220 to rough up the sides, and 320 between coats. Primer not needed for this type of application.

Cost of all three colors, sandpaper, etc. is about $500 for a 37' coach.

TIME is your biggest expense. Plan on a lot of man-hours to do it right. Triple digits.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
WOW,nice job,looks very sharp
Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6

Nice work

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Looks good Rick,

just removed all my decals off one side with "vinyl off" we'll do the other side in a next day or two,
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Looks good Rick,

just removed all my decals off one side with "vinyl off" we'll do the other side in a next day or two,
What's your review of Vinyl Off now that you've used it?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
well my decals R 14 years old, some colors R easier than others.

I sprayed it on waited longer than suggested like 20-30 min, used a 3" wide window razor (on fiberglass) some of them come off in 3 foot pieces, some only 5-6", I then sprayed with simple green to clean up, then a quick 800 w/d paper with hose. one side took better part of day but it's clean ready for paint mask stencil's.

After paint I'll compound the unpainted surface to shine up with wax, I look at like doing my boat.

I used an 8 oz bottle on one side would used a bit less but sprayed too much in the beginning, only needed enough to wet the surface evenly.

Bottle was $9.

Before, tried heat gun etc, that was not the way to go, this was much faster
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #10

Beautiful job , that is something to be proud of

Tags
paint