Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #1

Painting the Coach

I have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star with 32,000 miles and in very good condition overall. The downside is the paint is badly faded as are the decals. I can up date the interior with new carpet and new furniture, but the exterior is its only down fall. Other tha replacing for a newer coach I'm considering one of two options. Having someone replace the decals, or better, painting the whole coach with the new style striping etc.

Any suggestions? Any estimates on cost? Has anyone out there done this and wish to comment on the after effects? Are you happy you spent the money? was it money well spent or wasted?

Lou
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LSepulveda,
Several in our NKK chapter have had their coaches painted at either:

Mike's Custom Painting 574-546-2161
Precision Painting 866-909-4473

both companies have a very good reputation. Both are located in the Nappanee, Indiana area.

I've been told a complete paint (just like the new coaches) job with several colors and clear-coat is around $10K to 15K. I've seen the results from both of these companies and they would pass my test for quality.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
while at the dealer my buddy asked about a full body paint cost was approximated at $100.00 per linear foot he is 38 ft long and approx 10 ft wide , that works out 9600 biggens
brianj
Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Hi Lou,

We were on a caravan with a 98 or 99 DSDP last summer that had been given a full body paint job. It looked very good and you had the sense that it was a newer vehicle than it was. The owners had purchased it new and this was part of a renewal they had decided upon as opposed to getting a new coach. They don't full time and take several lengthy trips a year in it and felt that was their best solution. You can expect to spend $10,000 to $15,000 for that solution. If you are interested in talking to someone, you could call Precision Paint in Bremen, IN. They did some paint & body work for us last fall and do excellent work. It doesn't cost anything to call & talk to them.

Another solution.....we used to have a 1992 Kountry Star DP that had those faded, cracked & peeling decal stripes. On a trip to Puerto Penasco Mexico we saw a guy doing small repairs & painting on coaches and he did excellent work. We contracted with him and he painted the gray parts of the coach, i.e. the mask around the windshield, rear cap and the lower third including all the baggage doors. He removed the decal striping and painted new stripes down the sides, just under the awning rail and on the doors. He also did a number of minor repairs, making the front & rear bumpers look like new (where they were a bit banged up). When he finished the coach looked very nice and the finish looked like new. You can see pics on our website. Our total cost....$1500. That of course doesn't count the fuel to get there or the RV park while staying there, but living in MX for 2 or 3 weeks is pretty cheap living.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You also have the option to have it done at the factory. Last May I asked if they would do some optional painting while we were at the factory and was told no not at this time. As we were getting ready to have Precision do the work Newmar said they would do it. To late had already given Precision the go ahead.
Now having said that, they are all looking for work and you can get some great prices, just don't accept their first price as we got 25% off their quote.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
She fiberglass sided, or metal? Fiberglass, prepare for an ouch. Metal, one can do it themselves using a good Marine paint, and some elblow grease.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #7

Are you happy with the work from Precision? Would you do it again now that you've had some time after the paint job?

Lou
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes very happy. Precision did all the painting for Travel Supreme.
Again try to get as low of a price as you can.
The reason the price varies so much is the price of the patterns they use, more swirls more patterns.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mike's painted (full body) mine in the factory when it was built. It is now 10 years old and still looks excellent. I have heard that Precision is possibly even better. I think it will all boil down to what you want for a theme. Are you wanting it the same or a new and custom graphic? Keep us posted as to the decision, the time schedule and cost if you don't mind.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #10

we had precision do ours last november. very happy with it. they do go the extra mile, such as painting the sides of the slides, replacing slide seals, paint all awning hardware to match. they even painted the window frames to match. finished it off with three coats of clear for a super high gloss finish. they even included diamond shield on the front!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new paint 2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	639   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring trip.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	640  

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
How much do you want to spend?
I just bought a 99 pace arrow. The previous owner had, sometime in the recent passed, had the old faded decals removed, buffed the whole coach, and replaced the bad decals. She doesn't look like new, but she looks darned nice.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #12

We just had the front cap painted on our 2006 TourMaster. It had some fiberglass damage from the front wheel slipping of a driveway and scraping the bottom of the cap. Since the cap was all chipped for road stuff we had the whole cap painted. 3 colors, 3 coats of clear $2,800. A little pricey but looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Brooks Collision in Piney Flats, TN
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #13

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
Now having said that, they are all looking for work and you can get some great prices, just don't accept their first price as we got 25% off their quote.
Why didn't they offer you that price from the beginning?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #14

I've got a '95 34' Cruise Aire with FRP siding, had it painted by a local shop (Daytona Beach), two colors plus clear coat, $6,000.00. I had a friend in the sign business do the vinyl graphics, and I'm ashamed to tell you what I paid -- what a deal -- anyway the graphics were worth at least $600 to $700 -- painted would cost more. The total is about $200.00 per foot and worth every cent.
Long and short -- if the unit is a keeper, DO IT!!
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote