Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #15

The OP stated that the Motor Home left rubber on the highway after the stop.

We can debate the flat spots, but if the wheels locked up or not is moot. All this discussion about the antilock makes no sense, after the OP said he left a lot of rubber on the highway.

I suspect that the rubber he left on the highway was most recently on the tread of his tires. I doubt that he left a bunch of rubber bands, or gaskets on the highway.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Were antilock brakes or even disk brakes standard or optional equipment from chassis builders back in 1996? Op's coach is a 1996 36' Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

Suspect he now has a stuck drum or caliber after the hard braking event. The limited speed of 10 MPH or so brings back memories of the postings when the Workhouse chassis caliber failures were popping up. Definitely flat spotted the tire. Might not see a flat spot but you will fell it going down the road.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #17

We're gonna have to wait for the OP to check in. I read his post as he could only go 10MPH because of the excessive thumping from the tires, not because that was as fast as he could go. Hmmmm. Guess we'll just have to wait for clarification..
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
May have deflated one of the tires or damaged the tread/ belts.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #19

Flat spots. It's why semi-trailers go "thump-thump-thump" when they pass you at 70mph, fleets don't bother to true the tires after the empty trailer's been locked up for 100 yards in a hard stop
Old 09-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #20

I had a panic stop in Los Angeles I-101 and the anti lock did not slide the tires even though I pressed as hard as I could. It surprised me how fast it stopped. I was doing 55 mph. So if your anti lock device is working the way it is suppose to, it should not slide.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
We can debate the flat spots, but if the wheels locked up or not is moot. All this discussion about the antilock makes no sense, after the OP said he left a lot of rubber on the highway.
Karl , your quite correct , we can't know if the OP's coach even has anti-lock brakes , and I say, sorry, for adding to off topic discussion .
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be that he picked up something in between his duals. Ran over a brick one day in my school bus and it drove me crazy till we found it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks everyone! This is the op here. First to clear up two things. The coach does not have antilock breaks, second p, I don't know if I had to go just 10 MPH I just had to do it to get to a place to get off the road

We are deep in Indian country, seariously! We are in Chinle Az.the closest place to get any mechanical or tire service is Gallup about 75 miles away.

We're here for one more day before we find out if we can go on or not.
They are putting down new asphalt over a road with lots of bumps when you go over a joint. We had to drive to our campground and so we were on the old road for most of the distance to the campground. I was so stressed That I don't Rember if the part of he road through town was as bad as the part they were fixing. Guess we will find out tomorrow. I did run my hand around the tire to feel for flat spots and I didn't notice any.
I'll put a glove on and do it again.

The tires are brand new just before we left home so less than 2000 miles. I'm really worried about the caliper comment.

If any of you pray, we would really appreciate your prayers that it was just the road. Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Suspect he now has a stuck drum or caliber after the hard braking event. The limited speed of 10 MPH or so brings back memories of the postings when the Workhouse chassis caliber failures were popping up. Definitely flat spotted the tire. Might not see a flat spot but you will fell it going down the road.
Sweetbriar
A "stuck drum or caliper" could not/would not cause a "thumping sound" so bad that he "could only go about 10 miles an hour".
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Were antilock brakes or even disk brakes standard or optional equipment from chassis builders back in 1996? Op's coach is a 1996 36' Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
I don't know about anti-lock brakes but "4 wheel disc brakes" were standard equipment on 1996 Safari motorhomes.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara 35'
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Sweetbriar
A "stuck drum or caliper" could not/would not cause a "thumping sound" so bad that he "could only go about 10 miles an hour".
Agreed. If there is a thumping sound after a full lockup panic stop, then there are flat spots on the tire(s). Depending on the individual, they may or may not "feel" the flat spot with their hand, but rest assured if it's making that much noise the flat spot is there. I suspect the 10 mph comment is a result of perceived severity of the thump.
manwithtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sweetbriar
I didn't say the stuck drum or caliper would or could cause the thumping sound. My association was to the limited speed that we now know was self imposed and not a mechanical issue, "We could only go about 10 miles an hour".

I also expressed that the thumping sound was probably associated with flat spotting the tires, "We left a lot a rubber on the highway. Afterwards we start hearing a thumping sound".

Two separate symptoms based on the original post as written.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't know about anti-lock brakes but "4 wheel disc brakes" were standard equipment on 1996 Safari motorhomes.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara 35'
Ok that's nice but the OP does not have a 1996 Safari Sahara 35'. What is your point as it applies to the original posting? My coach has four wheel disk with anti lock but why would I need to mention such in this context?

Tags
class a