Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Paper thin veneer!

Have a 1999 Mirada here in New Zealand and decided to paint the interior and change the color of the gold fittings. Got the handles and lights powder coated with a silver chrome and the painting looks great. However I used some low stick masking tape on the veneer cabinets and when I peeled it away, the veneer came with it! How in heck do I repair this without replacing the veneer. It is wood grain so a single color is not going to look too flash.
As always I post and sit back and wait for the genii here to give me the answer...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
If it is close to a wall edge you painted, why not get a flat trim, stain it to match, staple it up, and you are good to go.
Perhaps another fix, I had some do that inside a cabinet, so, we went to the local big box lumber yard, bought a few single pieces of self stick flooring, the stuff that is flexible, but looks like wood, 4 inches wide, maybe 24 inches long. Cover the whole end, or trim to fit your situation. That stuff is really sticky!
Good to hear from ya'll..
Have fun...

free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This .. May not work.. but is a thought (I am inventing repair procecdure here)

I know AVERY makes all sorts of peal and stick products that can be shoved in a printer, Mailing labels, name tags, Media labels and more.. Including an 8 1.2 by 11 full page label.

With a high resolution digital camera take a picture of undamaged veneer.

Print same on a full sheet of peal and stick (Adjust size of graphic so it is the same (distance between grain) as the source) trim.. Peal.. Stick.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
With a high resolution digital camera take a picture of undamaged veneer.

Print same on a full sheet of peal and stick (Adjust size of graphic so it is the same (distance between grain) as the source) trim.. Peal.. Stick.
Hmm. It might be easier to buy a new MH! Like the thinking though. How long would the paper last in real time? And would it look fake? My feeling is that the answers are "not long" and "FAKE". Would love to see someone else try this and post how it looks. If it went pear shaped, it would remove even more of the veneer!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the veneers are simply photographed finish already. I like the idea wa8yxm has. You could do a very good job this way but to make it durable apply some kind of clear coat over it. If your waiting for a "genie" solution that doesn't involve a little time or work it's not gonna happen.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's a small area you may be able to get some tape from the manufacture to match the existing color. Seam tape or something like that. Winnebago sent the dealer some to cover up a peeled off area from the factory. I refused that fix and they sent a new panel.
The stick on vinyl tape with wood grain finish is about an inch wide. I don't think it will look good if it's in an open area but you could try it.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

Your question might better be Googled.
repairing veneer - Google Search
There is a wide variety of possible fixes you might be able to use from the Googled results.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hang a picture over it. Voila'.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently put a real wood veneer on the back of my kitchen pennisula to cover up the paper "veneer". Just google self adheasive wood veneer and you'll fing the product. It's about 1/32" thick and is available finished or unfinished in a variety of woods. I bought unfinished maple and stained to match my cabinets then finished it with 3 coats of polyurethane. You'll have to buy a large sheet of this material but then you can use it to cover up other exposed ends.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If low-tack masking tape will remove this veneer, I'd hate to try cleaning it.

If the area is small, I personally would faux-paint the damaged area. Do your best to identify the colors involved and get some bottles of inexpensive acrylic paint at Walmart or wherever.

Mix your paints to match the base color and apply. If you look closely at the existing woodgrain, you will see a reproducible pattern of streaks and dots, which you can copy and apply over the base color with a fine liner brush in one or two or three darker colors. If the base color is correct, even "not perfect" wood graining will blend right in.

Surprisingly easy, even for an all-thumbs type like me.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sarah:
Aw come on, we know you'd cover it with a mirror
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since your veneer is paper and that end panel is partical board you might be careful about water based paints.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #13

A lot of manufacturers us a product called "Woodtape" which used to be made in Everett, WA. On my Georgetown, the cabinet doors and fron frames are solid oak, but the cabinet frames and interior paels are hemlock with "oak" Woodtape over them.

I'm sure there are a number of manufacturers of adhesive-backed veneers that actually use very thin "real" wood with a high-strength adhesive backing.