Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Personally I don't think it will be that tough. With the front being 44' wide you don't have a door opening to contend with and the rear wall is 21' back. Remember the parallel parking drills from driver's ed? A larger scale with the MH for sure but the same principal applies. I would use the same method, with spotters, and see how it works out. Keep us posted and a pic would be nice.

'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think after you spend an hour or two with spotters experimenting on just the right procedure, you'll figure the right way. It will get easier with practice, but it will be tight.

You say the hangar is 45ft wide with a 44ft door opening? Only 6 inches per side for door posts? A 45 x 21 ft space gives you a 49'8" diagonal. But of course the coach is 9-10 ft wide (with mirrors).

Also, you have a bifold door. Is it a vertical or horizontal bifold? I'm thinking of the actual clearance. Is the 14 ft x 44 ft dimension that you mentioned the actual clearspace available when the door is opened? I've seen a lot of horizontal bifolds where the raised door occupies about 4-5 ft of the total opening.

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:50 AM   #17
Parallel Parking into an Aircraft Hangar

Buy a couple of orange cones. With your spotter helping guide you, find where to put one on your drivers side so you can spot it for just the right time to cut the wheel. Adjust it till you find the perfect spot. Put a paint mark on the floor so you won't loose that spot. Now you have your perfect mark that you can see with camera and mirror. Use the other cone in a similar fashion for the passenger side mirror.
You may even want to put a paint line at the right angle leading into the hanger. That will help make sure you are lined up on your approach.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hope the airport accepts NO federal money otherwise it is illegal to park other than an aircraft in a hangar...
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Yeah, airports are cracking down on having non-aviation related (or even certain aviation-related!) items in the hangar. I was hoping to keep my RV in my hangar but my airport won't let me. I have plenty of room too...
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Cessnapilot View Post
Great news! Y'all have helped confirm my initial thoughts that it CAN be done. Slow, Spotters, Slow, Shallow, Slow, Jockey, Slow, Jockey some more. Worth it? Absolutely! Certainly can't leave the MH outside!!

Thanks for the great responses.

Thank you for the update, I'm happy to hear you got it in there.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #21
Been a while since I had a tee hanger, but the problem may be the height. Not the center portion where the tail goes but the sides where the wings go. Got to be 12 feet or so. Plus I got kicked off the airport when I sold my Cessna and tried to make a shop out of the space.
Ross Starkenburg
2005 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43PBQ w/detroit 60 series, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #22
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Put together a mock-up using string and cones. Then practice. If it is not a T hanger then catty corner should be enough to get it in. Otherwise parrallel parking a 40 foot MH is easy, with practice. There are videos available that teach you the movements. I have done it on a few occasions. I practiced first.
Jeff/Diane, Retired Fire Capt. I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K on a Workhorse chassis w/ ISC 330, Allison 3000
2013 Honda Fit with Roadmaster Baseplate, BrakeMaster and All Terrain Falcon Tow Bar.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is going to work, this is the way to do it:

How to Parallel Park Perfectly in 4 Easy Steps - Road & Track
Mike & Sue Jones
Venetian A40, formally Palazzo 35.1
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Where there is a will there is a way. I just keep going until I hit something solid, then go the other way a bit.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote