Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

Parasitic draw on RV engine battery

Hi, new to the forum.
I have a 1999 windsong by forest river (ford v10 f53 chassis). My engine battery drains with everything off--within three or four days.There are two hot leads from the battery,one to the starter.and one to the solenoid. I've determined it's not the starter lead. It's the lead going to the solenoid.The generator is connected to the house batteries, so it's not the generator.

I am unfamiliar with the wiring, so how do I go about finding the parasitic draw?

Thanks for any advice and tips.
-Pat
bouvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Parasitic drains most often are caused by the radio/clock presets, ECU, and remote door locks, among other systems. If you disconnect the battery at the positive post then bridge the cable and post with a meter or test light, you'll see the parasitic drain. By then pulling fuses, one by one, you'll see when the light dims or goes out to further point to which circuit the drain is coming from.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
An ammeter between positive post and battery leads will indicate how much draw, then ad mentioned, pull individual fuses to identify specific circuits. Normal draw for funtions requiring constant power should draw in milliamps (mA), 500 of those is half an ampere, and that will kill a battery. Expect something less than 100 mA. And bad batteries go flat without any help from the chassis so make sure it's sound.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Anything plugged into the accessory sockets?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

Is the cable to the solenoid, the ford starter solenoid or the boost/isolation solenoid ?

If it's the boost solenoid, remove the small hot wire to it, to see if it is engaged. It should only be engaged when the boost switch is pushed or when the ignition key is on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:18 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. We're sorry that it took a problem for you to join but we hope that you stay engaged after you have a resolution.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

update

Thanks for everyone's help, I appreciate
the quick response.
I ended up finding it was the #4 fuse, it says it is for the courtesy lamp relay, Interior lamp feed.

when I unplugged the fuse, it quit draining the battery. I could not find any lights inside or out, that were still not operating. I am pleased my battery problem is fixed, but puzzled what #4 fuse actually was for.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

A Great Day to All

Pat
bouvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pat! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Glad you found the problem!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
chassis battery draw

We have an 01 Georgie boy on a F53 Chassis. Parasitic draw (chassis battery).170 milliamps. Pulled fuse 24/40A instrument panel battery feed( fuses 4,10,16) draw went down to .001. Put fuse 24 back in and pulled the latter 3 fusses out individually and no drop in draw. Can anyone direct me on how to proceed from here.

Tks Bob
54bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, engine