Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Question Park & Fly?

Hi There,

I am looking for information from anyone who might know how all this works. Here is the scenario: I have a 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit Class A motor home and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am looking for a long term rental location in the U.S.A. This is a snowbird style situation where I would like to park the RV in a warmer climate during the Canadian Winter months so I could fly down to and stay the winter. Does anybody have any idea's on how I would get started on finding such accommodations? I appreciated any and all suggestions.

Thanks Much
TireSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should probably drive moho down to Florida, take your time and drive around to different parts of the state to see what you like (boating , fishing, scuba diving, etc.) or just sitting around. I would suggest midway down or farther down in the state for nice winters. When you find an area to your liking, stay in the general area and check with the RV parks there for rates, etc. I am sure you will get more advice and some of it better. Good luck. If you are able to do it, Now is the time to do all this, as most snowbirds are gone or leaving.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Many RV parks have long term sites. You can rent by the day, week, month, or year. The longer you choose the cheaper per day.

Most generally you can pay for four month or so and leave your coach there all year long.

We pay a yearly fee so that we can be in the same spot each year. In our park if you rent for Jan, Feb, March--just $200 more will get you a full year. Park knows that none of us (for the most part ) will not be there April to October anyway.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

There are many parks that offer the type of arrangement you seek. Here, in Arizona, just about any RV park has winter spaces and summer storage arrangements. I would recommend spending time in an area before making any firm decisions. Use sites like Allstays | Campgrounds | RV Parks and RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to make an initial assessment and call them for more info.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

As usual nothing but great replies here.

I like the idea of staying short term in some of the areas we might be interested in to do more of a discovery type of trip. I look forward to being able to enjoy the warmer weather during our cold months here.

Thanks to all those who took the time to reply. I appreciate the advice.

Regards,
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

I have been storing my MH in Arizona every summer for several years. I strongly suggest you find covered storage. The sun will not be kind to your RV. It will be hard on the exterior finish as well as the roof. Many people do not consider how hot the inside of the MH will get just sitting in the sun. It could get to 140 degrees. Those kind of prolonged temps will damage the interior as well. Most glues will start to break down and things inside will begin to come apart. Also consider storing in a dry climate like the southwest rather than a damp area like the southeast. Mold and mildew can be a real problem in the high humidity environments. There's a reason the USAF aircraft bone yard is in Tucson.

RV Harbor - Covered & Enclosed RV & Boat Storage - Suprise, Arizona

Phoenix Storage, RV Storage AZ, Self Storage Phoenix | RV Super Storage

Coyote Pass RV & Mini Storage

#1 RV and Boat Storage Facility in Arizona | Park 'N Shade RV
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

We leave ours at Family Discount Storage in Tucson, AZ. Though we are from the Wpg area, we winter in Mexico.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to check with your insurance company. I have heard that some of them will not insure you, if you do not bring your coach back to Canada.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

More great tips and advice.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We drive the rig to FL end of October, stay in our favorite park one month, put the rig and toad in storage at the perimeter of the Sarasota airport and have the storage unit guy take us to the terminal and we fly home until March 1, return to FL, have him pick us up at the terminal, stay for 2 months , drive the whole rig home May 1. Repeat 6 times so far. Living the dream.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Our storage place (Phoenix area) advertises that they will provide you with transportation to and from the airport.
http://www.rvsuperstorage.com
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireSpin View Post
Hi There,

I am looking for information from anyone who might know how all this works. Here is the scenario: I have a 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit Class A motor home and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am looking for a long term rental location in the U.S.A. This is a snowbird style situation where I would like to park the RV in a warmer climate during the Canadian Winter months so I could fly down to and stay the winter. Does anybody have any idea's on how I would get started on finding such accommodations? I appreciated any and all suggestions.

Thanks Much
First you have to decide where you would like to winter. Three main areas seem to be Florida, Texas and Arizona. I expect there are many more great areas to spend the winter but these are the ones I hear about the most.

We lease an RV lot in the Yuma area. We lease by the year and can leave the unit there or not as we wish. Currently we do not leave it there and use the MH to travel back and forth from home. Leasing for us is the best solution for low cost and good amenities. We have done some improvements to the lot that make it ours. We will lose them if we leave but the cost was low.

There are a lot of Canadians (and Americans too) who buy a local unit and leave it there permanently. If they leave the unit there they get AZ license and insurance. There are some pretty good prices on fairly nice units. Neighbour sold her 2005 37' 5er with Arizona room for 10,000 (incidentaly she is from Winnipeg). They have moved to Mesa.

There are lots of options including purchasing property. Rules in the US are different than Canada so before you buy you should check out how they will affect you.

Good luck in the snowbirding.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, I really like the responses. There is a lot of good info...not just locations, but quality "lessons learned". Is there a longer thread with this stuff, or is this a new diamond that we need to maybe make a "sticky"? I can see this getting nice and long with lots of owner input.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
Wow, I really like the responses. There is a lot of good info...not just locations, but quality "lessons learned". Is there a longer thread with this stuff, or is this a new diamond that we need to maybe make a "sticky"? I can see this getting nice and long with lots of owner input.

I agree 100% with your reply. The information I have received here is better then I could have hoped for. So many good lessons on what to look for and what to look out for. The best place for the right answers is here and from the people who have gone through it.

Again thanks to everyone for all of this very very helpful information. Keep it coming.

Best Regards.