Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Park brake question

Been wondering about something. What would happen if you're driving down the highway at 60 mph and pull the park brake on? Just curious!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
This was dicsussed at the Camp Freightliner session I attended a couple of years ago and Mike said it does not lock up the brakes but does apply the brakes hard - or he used a similar phrase.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, mine is a Roadmaster chassis but it probably works the same way. Maybe some others with that chassis will jump in. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All air brakes work the same. They are not RV specific and I believe there's not too many suppliers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

Using the park brake at 60 you will flat spot all your rear tires. You may loses tearing control if the back end goes side ways. We do it at 20 mph on a N.Y. School bus road test. I would not ant to do it t 60.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

I meant to type turning control. I better start checking myself, my I pad misses letters. Lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your unit is equipped with anti-lock brakes, you will come to a hard controlled stop. If you don't have anti-lock brakes all the wheels will lock up and flat spot your tires, not to mention possible loss of control if you aren't on it.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the vehicle and the parking brake.. On a ride with air brakes you blow the tank and the spring brakes come on, Frim but generally not a lock up.

On a motor home with drive shaft braking bad things can happen.. If the brakes lock up tight you will most likely loose control of the ride

On a car when rear wheel emergency brakes you WILL loose control if they are working right, spin out, and if it is an SUV built on too small a frame and built too high (Think FORD standard practice) the roll over and die options is very possible.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It takes minimum of 60 lbs. of air to release your parking brake. That said it would be the same or worse than slamming on your brakes as hard as you can. Like said the antilocks will kick in and you should not slide a wheel. Depending on road condition and the traffic behind you it would not be a wise move.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Been wondering about something. What would happen if you're driving down the highway at 60 mph and pull the park brake on? Just curious!
Sure hope you have everything tied down!!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The spring brakes are not part of the anti lock system . Once you lose the air pressure that holds them back they apply! , and full force. Loosing air pressure by failure of the air system or pulling the brake valve is no difference. They may not lock up depending on the weight and force on them but you will stop .. And quickly. It's important to understand the air brake system and how different it is .
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When the highway is wet from rain even the engine brake will take you for a ride if you forget to shut it off. I would hate to think what pulling the Ebrake would do.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #13

Park brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
Using the park brake at 60 you will flat spot all your rear tires. You may loses tearing control if the back end goes side ways. We do it at 20 mph on a N.Y. School bus road test. I would not ant to do it t 60.

No, you will NOT flat-spot the tires. You will not slide the rear wheels. You will not lose control. The springs do not apply the brakes that strongly. The wheels might slide if this happened on wet pavement, but on dry pavement it's not an issue.

If you pull the big yellow knob at 60 mph, you will make a quick, hard stop...that's all. I have done it, at 60 mph, so I could see exactly what to expect should I ever lose the air all at once. It was no big deal.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #14

i know on really old trucks and well used brakes you can roll the cams all the way over in the drum and be stuck there in tell you pull them apart and fix them ... and that is every hard to do with lucked up drums
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake