Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #15

Parked for months

I have a 36 foot Allegro V-10. From everything I've been hearing gas or diesel I think exercising the MH and generator would possibly prevent any future problems. I think I will start doing that in the future. Thank you everyone for all the info!!
myot-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did a lot of dry camping. every two weeks they would chase you out of your space so i would go to the dump stations and fill up the gas tank and fresh water. Once i stopped travel i parked at a camp and stopped using the coach engine wise. First thing that went was front seal for the transmission. Next was Brakes. Front left stuck and played hell getting the capilar free so i could replace. Next and i still don't know why but the engine blew a head gasket just sitting there. Radiator started leaking, Battery went bad even with battery tender on. Tires were 3 years old and dry cracked on me. It seemed like one thing after another kept going bad.
I take my trailer out with my truck every month so as to give the tires a workout and brakes as well. I don't want to get into the issues i had with leaving a rv on wheels parked all the time.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

Read a post a while back from a tire manuf. what was explained is that the polymers in the tire compound actually flow to the outer surface of the tires with the flexing action as you drive and evaporate. If the tire just sits the surface polymers evaporate and are not replaced which causes premature dry rot.
Don't know if that is gospel but could explain a recommended 5 year life on tires that still have good tread.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #18

Hey Roy-c, Very good point sir. I was as at seminar not long ago and there was a rep there from Michelin Tire and he said the same thing.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #19

We full-time and though we are stationary in California 4 months out of the year, I will drive it for at least an hour a month as well as run the generator, heaters, AC’s and water pump.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #20

Wink It's SUNDAY !!!

Time to go out for a nice ride and stop at a park for lunch, watch the birds by the river, or the kids on a swing.

Enjoy life, talk with people, or just enjoy the shade under a big oak tree.

We are in mid state Florida and the snow doesn't get that deep, it did snow for about 14 minutes five years ago.

Just couldn't help myself !!!

3feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #21

I used to let ours sit up for weeks, up to a few months sometimes, between starts. After having several instances of brake calipers sticking, i researched and found that one possible reason was simply that they weren't being used. Started doing a monthly maintenance run a couple of years ago and, knocking on wood, have not had any brake stickings since.

Also, not sure how i missed reading it some 15 years ago but, the owners manual for the hydraulic levelers on our rig states to run them in and out at least once a month. I spent right at $1,700 for four jacks (replaced them myself) this year, so i'm hoping the monthly procedure helps keep that expenditure from showing up again.

The genset manual states to run it once a month so i figure the main engine and rest of the running gear benefit from this as well. I make sure to give it a good multi mile run when i do the monthly maintenance.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #22

We always top-off the fuel tank to prevent condensation from dropping out of the air and putting water in the fuel tank. Without water algae cannot form. A diesel engine should never be started without being driven at least 30 minutes to reach normal operating temperature long enough to evaporate moisture that has condensed inside the engine and contaminated the oil.(think rust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
We are parked in a Park for a year at a time out for a 2 - 3 week periods in the summer and then back to our area in the Park for the winter.

We drain our black water tank every weekend. We start the engine every 6 months for about 1/2 hour just to get it up to temp.

We have our unit skirted with a 1/2 inch foam panelling as a wind break as it is almost impossible to cover every little hole.

FWIW, a diesel engine will NEVER reach normal operating temperature at low idle. The engine must be under load for at least 30 minutes to reach normal operating temperature to evaporate crankcase condensation that settled there. To confirm this call a local diesel engine repair shop or engine mfgr.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We always top-off the fuel tank to prevent condensation from dropping out of the air and putting water in the fuel tank. Without water algae cannot form. A diesel engine should never be started without being driven at least 30 minutes to reach normal operating temperature long enough to evaporate moisture that has condensed inside the engine and contaminated the oil.(think rust)

FWIW, a diesel engine will NEVER reach normal operating temperature at low idle. The engine must be under load for at least 30 minutes to reach normal operating temperature to evaporate crankcase condensation that settled there. To confirm this call a local diesel engine repair shop or engine mfgr.

Another storage question. What pressure do you leave the tires at for a storage period of 3months or more? One opinion is 120# and weight off tires. Another 85# weight off tires. Any source of good information?
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The answer to that is too specific for a generalized answer, especially because you didn't supply any info on your RV. It's dependent on your coach weight & tire size too. What works for me may or may not work for you.

Post back with more info & we might be able to give advice.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Another storage question. What pressure do you leave the tires at for a storage period of 3months or more? One opinion is 120# and weight off tires. Another 85# weight off tires. Any source of good information?
Most tire manufacturers advise filling to the max sidewall pressure for long term storage.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:35 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Goodyear Says storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #27
tcg

This is not something I'll be doing but...

I was just reading my Onan generator manual. There is a storage procedure they recommenced if the generator won't be run for more than 30 days.

In my case it's a gas generator and the procedure is similar to storing a motorcycle engine. Shut of the fuel, run until stall and then fog the engine (spray fogging oil in air intake while running). Remove plugs and put a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder then replace plugs.

Like I said I won't be doing that but your manual is a good place to start if you're curious about your particular generator.

As far as the engine, it just goes to storage with a full tank of gas and stabilizer. Batteries are off but hooked up.

Some wood under the tires as well.

On a nice day the wife and I might stop by and "exercise" the bed but not the engines or generator.

In the spring I just start up and off I go.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
You Got It Right

Well, the number of informative posts in this thread is great!

Tires, pressures, on the ground/off the ground, generators, water systems, a/c, heat, levelers, engines, fuel, man... this is great stuff.

But only one post hit the most important monthly exercise... the bed!

I like that one the best....So when we are doing our monthly "to-do" with the big girl... (our rig), we need to do the monthly with THE GIRL ...

I am "all-in" for that one....

Sorry, could not pass it up... was too good.... forget the rest... exercise the bed!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote