RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
The answer to that is too specific for a generalized answer, especially because you didn't supply any info on your RV. It's dependent on your coach weight & tire size too. What works for me may or may not work for you.

Post back with more info & we might be able to give advice.

Lori-

41’ Dutch Star, 31,000 pounds. Michelin 275/70-22.5

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #30

Are parking on concrete, gravel or grass?

We are parked on grass and read on here to use rubber stall pads cut to size under each tire. Don't think there is a need on gravel but read to use them on concrete as well.

I purchased a 4x6 3/4" pad from Tractor Supply for $40 and cut.

I also have the Toyo's at max 110psi air.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #31

Parked for months

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Are parking on concrete, gravel or grass?

We are parked on grass and read on here to use rubber stall pads cut to size under each tire. Don't think there is a need on gravel but read to use them on concrete as well.

I purchased a 4x6 3/4" pad from Tractor Supply for $40 and cut.

I also have the Toyo's at max 110psi air.

Parked on gravel, with tire mats, jack mats and wood under leveling jacks. Tires also have covers. My question on storage pressure, comes from a comment a “tire guy” made. Just wondering if I’m doing it right. Longest time in one spot, although we do raise front tires off ground and rotate them to reduce flat spots. I know they call me “Mr Anal Retentive “,
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't raise your tires off the ground. I'd think you're putting undue pressure on the back tires/jacks that way. For our 6mo storage, we run all 6 tires up on boards then extend the jacks just enough to take "some" weight off the tires. We've never had problems w/flat spots come Spring.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #33

We try to take ours out for a 1 hour ride at least once every 6 weeks when we store for winter unless we have snow on the road.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #34

We normally take our DP out at least once a month, to exercise all the components. The drive is an hour round trip on the highway. we usually go to the outlet mall were there is a Bass Pro or we go to the truck stop. I like to exercise the DP to ensure that all the systems are working properly. I once had left it for a few months and had troubles with the air bag inflation valve. What I find good about running it is that you can find potential problems before they affect your departure for a trip. If you find a problem as your leaving for a trip, then it is too late.
I also read a post earlier that indicated that they enjoyed driving their MH. Well I will admit I do enjoy driving my MH, and the time taken is well spent; especially if my wife goes for a ride.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by myot-rv View Post
I spoke to a gentlemen today who has been full timing for years. I asked him what he does if he is parked for more than 2 weeks or even a month. He told me about every 2 weeks he disconnects power and the water and goes for a half hour drive. He told me as he is driving he starts and runs his generator while out on his drive and lets it run the whole time. He told me that he likes to keep everything lubricated and moving. He said seals start to get dry if they sit too long like motor seals, wheel seals etc. He's had problems in the past with brakes sticking from sitting to long and that's why he likes to move his MH to prevent future problems.
This is by far the best way to look after the motorhome.A couple of hour drive would be better. If it is to be stored over winter , fill the fuel tanks ,add stabil or fuel conditioner, drain & winterize the plumbing , charge and disconnect the batteries. Should be able to store it for at least 8 months this way.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
We try to take ours out for a 1 hour ride at least once every 6 weeks when we store for winter unless we have snow on the road.

I have considered this but I figure that the heavy salt on the road in my state causes more harm than leaving the rig in my driveway for three months.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myot-rv View Post
How often do you drive your MH if you're parked for months?

When it's time to leave.

JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote