Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Parking...

I keep my 32' MH in my driveway at home...the driveway has an incline and I am questioning which end of the MH should be on the incline...front or rear...or does it really matter?

MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
You don't want to take to much weight off the back wheels as that is where all you braking is while parked.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering what I've read on this and other RV forums, it should not be parked on an incline for extended periods due to possible damage to the refrigerator, even when off. Think I would park rear on the higher ground so that parking gear and brake will function as designed and elevate front as long as it could be done without bringing front tires off the ground.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
You don't want to take to much weight off the back wheels as that is where all you braking is while parked.
Driveway has too much of an incline to use the levelers...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #5

Get those Wheels in the Air!!

I have gotten my front wheels in the air several times.

I can get an additional ~10" of lift with sliced tree trunks under the Big Foot pads if necessary.

Photo shows my front tires off the ground about 7" while at Nashville KOA.

I can get the front wheels about 18" in the air if needed.

No problems!

JohnnyB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	73411  
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Considering what I've read on this and other RV forums, it should not be parked on an incline for extended periods due to possible damage to the refrigerator, even when off. Think I would park rear on the higher ground so that parking gear and brake will function as designed and elevate front as long as it could be done without bringing front tires off the ground.
mustang
I don't think it's possible to "damage" a RV refrigerator fridge by parking the RV "out of level" if/when the fridge is OFF!
AND I can tell you that my coach has been both "stored" and "lived in" for months at a time with the front wheels off the ground.
Mel
'96 Safari, 133k miles
Old 09-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
mustang
I don't think it's possible to "damage" a RV refrigerator fridge by parking the RV "out of level" if/when the fridge is OFF! AND I can tell you that my coach has been both "stored" and "lived in" for months at a time with the front wheels off the ground. Mel '96 Safari, 133k miles
Like nearly every subject on RVing, C vs A or B, DP vs Gas and/or one tire brand is better vs another, there are opinions on both sides, and thankfully you have done just as I have, followed what I believe is best for me and my RV.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

Mutiny, I have the same situation. I park mine with the front end down for the biggest reason being when we have the morning dew, or slight rain ect, the water runs off the roof down the front. It is much easier for me to wash the front/ windshield ect than the back of the MH...I usually wash it off once a week if we have alot of dewey or rainy days and it only takes me about 10 minutes. I can level mine enough to start the fridge on electricity, I've been told the real issue is with propane and that if it is in the level bubble about half way you are good to go with either energy source. It cools down fine with no issues. I don't put my slides out when it is on the slant. I don't take my front wheels off the ground, it may be safe to do as alot of people do, but it just doesn't look right to me and looks like it puts alot of stress on the frame???
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I can level mine enough to start the fridge on electricity, I've been told the real issue is with propane and that if it is in the level bubble about half way you are good to go with either energy source.
The reason for needing the refer to be level is because of the ammonia solution that flows through the tubing to draw out the heat from the refer. The only thing different between propane and electric operation for absorption refers (Norcold and Dometic) is how the ammonia solution is heated to do its work... you still need to be reasonably level. I've never heard of any absorption refers being damaged when stored turned off in an unleveled state (mentioned in a different reply) since the ammonia solution is not being heated and pushed through the tubing. I don't want to get away from the OP about parking leveled, but for those interested in level refer operation can get an idea of the how at these links: Polk’s Top 7 Tips for Maximizing your RV Refrigerator’s Efficiency- and Gas Electric Refrigerators.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #10

I have owned RVs for more than 35 years and have found no issue with the refrigerator being out of level as long as it is no in operation. It should be near level when you turn it on to pre-cool before use. And the leveling doesn't matter what energy source you will be using as it works exactly the same way no matter. Something heats the refrigerant to the boiling point where it moves by convection flow.

I like Mike's approach to determining which end to have be low.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have a 1'-9" slope to my driveway, I park in nose up unless I'm opening
the slides then I turn it around and run the front tires on blocks and put timbers
under front jacks before I level. I was running my ref on shore power with it sloped
up and just had to have ref fixed for a shorted out card. I glad I read you forum
that might have caused the problem

2014 Winnebago Tour
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgt89 View Post
I was running my ref on shore power with it sloped
up and just had to have ref fixed for a shorted out card. I glad I read you forum
that might have caused the problem

2014 Winnebago Tour
Just as an FYI, the danger of operating an absorption RV refrigerator unleveled while sitting is due to the damage that can be caused from the ammonia solution sitting in the tubes where it was meant to flow instead of returning to the bottom holding area. The reason this is not a factor while driving is that the motion of the motorhome will cause the ammonia solution to return to the bottom. Also remember that any damage caused from operating unleveled while stationary is cumulative... returning to level operation will not "fix" any damage to insides of the tubes from standing ammonia solution.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I've been told the real issue is with propane and that if it is in the level bubble about half way you are good to go with either energy source. It cools down fine with no issues.
1.) The absorption refrigerator "level issue" is with both propane and electricity.
2.) IMO "close to level" is not level enough.

It would be interesting to know how many 18 year old absorption refrigerators, (like the one in my 18 year old coach), are still working if they have been often operated a "half bubble" out of level.

Mel
'96 Safari, 133k miles, working Norcold fridge
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

YMMV but...we have been RVing for 18+ years now and our experience is, as long as you are not *using* your refer, the refer doesn't care how out of level it is (short of being on it's side )

If you want to fire the rig up before a trip to pre-chill the refer, you really should find a level place on your property before performing this action.

Hope This Helps

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote