Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Parking Brake Failure?

I have a question for you MH veterans. As a newby, I recently became concerned about my parking brake. While boondocking in a very unlevel spot with my front end pointing downhill, I thought if the parking brake failed we are in big trouble. Nothing happened, but I wondered if I should chock my wheels or is the parking brake foolproof? Has anyone had their parking brake fail?

As a former school bus driver, I do ocassionally check the parking brake to make sure it holds.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

You have a diesel pusher with air brakes.

The same rear brakes the stop the MH are used to hold it still, with the parking brake control.

The service brakes are applied with air but the parking brake is applied with springs, so they don't release if you loose air pressure.

Anything can fail, including the automatic slack adjusters and the springs in the chambers.

If the auto adjusters stop adjusting, you will see more air used in normal stopping and a weak parking brake.

If a spring in a chamber breaks, a rare occorance, you would only have one wheel holding the rig from rolling, although it probably wouldn't happen while parked.

Test them by setting them and attempt to drive foward. If they don't seem to hold well, get them checked.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think you should trust your parking brake, and you absolutely chock your wheels.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Or what TwinBoat said...
Old 03-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have a diesel pusher with air brakes.

The same rear brakes the stop the MH are used to hold it still, with the parking brake control.

The service brakes are applied with air but the parking brake is applied with springs, so they don't release if you loose air pressure.

Anything can fail, including the automatic slack adjusters and the springs in the chambers.

If the auto adjusters stop adjusting, you will see more air used in normal stopping and a weak parking brake.

If a spring in a chamber breaks, a rare occorance, you would only have one wheel holding the rig from rolling, although it probably wouldn't happen while parked.

Test them by setting them and attempt to drive foward. If they don't seem to hold well, get them checked.
Well said!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding chocks, what do you guys use? I have seen the curved plastic ones. Will they really hold a 45k pound coach?
Old 03-31-2019, 07:59 PM   #8

No. Maybe. I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7007...gateway&sr=8-4
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Me too. On a hill I chock 'em. If there's a hill with a curb I usually curb 'em.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I have a question for you MH veterans. As a newby, I recently became concerned about my parking brake. While boondocking in a very unlevel spot with my front end pointing downhill, I thought if the parking brake failed we are in big trouble. Nothing happened, but I wondered if I should chock my wheels or is the parking brake foolproof? Has anyone had their parking brake fail?

As a former school bus driver, I do ocassionally check the parking brake to make sure it holds.
It would be nice if you posted your:
Chassis make/model/engine/year etc. You can install a signature below all your posts that automatically puts it there when you're done posting.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:14 AM   #11

Interesting discussion. I rarely see a DP chocked, actually probably never have. It does make sense though.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

I would never trust the tank pressure gauge to tell me when the brakes need adjusted. The change in volume of air is just not that much. But, of course, by law, if a vehicle has air brakes I have to check the brakes are not out of adjustment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Regarding chocks, what do you guys use? I have seen the curved plastic ones. Will they really hold a 45k pound coach?
IMHO, the best kind of chock is a heavy rubber mudflap, long enough to get under center of wheel while bolted to a 4X4. Once the weight of the wheel is on the flap, it will not slide. And it takes a lot of power to roll the wheel up the inches needed to go over...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would be more concerned with rolling out of the bed. If I was unlevel enough to worry about it I would pick a different spot.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I would never trust the tank pressure gauge to tell me when the brakes need adjusted. The change in volume of air is just not that much. But, of course, by law, if a vehicle has air brakes I have to check the brakes are not out of adjustment...

IMHO, the best kind of chock is a heavy rubber mudflap, long enough to get under center of wheel while bolted to a 4X4. Once the weight of the wheel is on the flap, it will not slide. And it takes a lot of power to roll the wheel up the inches needed to go over...
Any chance you have a picture of that chock you describe?

Tags
brake