Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmm? I have been parking my 38' foot on my 4" slab for quite some time now and haven't had any problems but I never thought about it damaging it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
If it is a worry, why not cut a rectangle of the existing driveway out at each pressure point. Remove the existing concrete, dig out a 12 to 16" depth, put in good gravel and compact it, pour four small slabs where the pressure loads is. Using adhesive and hammer drilling rebar from existing concrete to new pour to stabilize it. Cost should be reasonable.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Concrete has 2 guarantees. It will get hard and it will crack. If you have cured 4" it will be ok. Just stay away from the edges.
I GUARANTEE that 4" isn't think enough under a 32,000# MH unless it's got mesh in it and a very stable base!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I GUARANTEE that 4" isn't think enough under a 32,000# MH unless it's got mesh in it and a very stable base!
I've parked on 4" concrete for many years without any problems. If you ground isn't prepped right it will crack without anything parked on it. Fresh concrete can crack the next day after being poured if it's on a sunny day and dries too fast.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Let me add just a little info. When we were building a new fire station in the community I used to live, we had a tanker that carried 2500 gallons of water. The combined weight of the tanker was around 35000 pounds. The architect that designed the station stated the concrete had to be 8 inches thick with dual reinforcing mesh throughout to meet the required loading capacities. It also had to be a certain strength concrete (concrete can vary greatly in strength depending on the amount of cement, etc. it is made with) The tanker had 10 wheels to distribute the weight.

4 inches will in all probability crack all to you know where in a fairly short order with your coach on it. Many driveways (4 inch) are made without any wire mesh, or with a single layer. The concrete pads in our RV Resort are 8 inches with double mesh, and some of them do have a crack or 2. And these are with proper preparatory work on the bases under the concrete.

The other thing to consider is the location. Is it prone to freezing? if so small cracks can get bigger with freezing and thawing. Just look at the highways that were poured concrete all over the US.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Concrete has 2 guarantees. It will get hard and it will crack. If you have cured 4" it will be ok. Just stay away from the edges.
I agree with the corners, I had the same problem when trucks came in my yard for tree work, rained day before and ground was softened, I guess, anyway when they drove off drive to get in back yard they broke about 4 feet of the corner.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
I just had to spent $21,000 replacing my parking pad/driveway which was 4" with only one layer of rebar/mess and was aggregate (pea gravel on top). It was never meant to have a motorhome home weighing 32,000 lbs drive on it. It took about 4 years to crack it so bad that even a car couldn't park on it for fear of tire puncture from sharp concrete chunks. This time I poured 8" thick with double the rebar and mesh hoping it holds together. That was a chunk of change to throw away like that!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #36

I had a new house built a year ago and then four months ago we bought a 40' safari Serengeti, 36k lbs plus. I asked my builder if the driveway would support it and he said of course it's 4 inches thick. He was wrong and I have cracked and broken off chunks of concrete on the edges driving on and off of it. I am thinking about having two concrete runners, much thicker, along side the driveway just for the mh.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
our long term rv port concrete is 8" and it still has some small cracking, but not where the jacks touch or the wheels
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #38

If the driveway was poured in the 1960s it is quite possible that there was no reinforcement used at all and who knows what specification the concrete mix was.

I'd bet the pebble finish is a recent tidy-up to cover a badly cracked slab.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Normal road construction is 6" for residential streets and 8" for arterial. Freeways are designed and may be up to 12" depending upon local conditions and anticipated loading.

I read in one of the threads that there is two kinds of concrete: 1) that is cracked 2) that is going to crack.

A driveway construction at 4" will not last long unless some great subgrade preparation was done. Not likely unless the owner did it himself.

The more you drive on it the sooner it will crack. Failures can be avoided for a while by padding the area you are parking, parking in different spots and if the driveway is level only partially applying the jacks.

However if you enjoy his company as he obviously enjoys yours the eventual deterioration of the driveway may be worth it.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:25 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Normal road construction is 6" for residential streets and 8" for arterial. Freeways are designed and may be up to 12" depending upon local conditions and anticipated loading.

I read in one of the threads that there is two kinds of concrete: 1) that is cracked 2) that is going to crack.

A driveway construction at 4" will not last long unless some great subgrade preparation was done. Not likely unless the owner did it himself.

The more you drive on it the sooner it will crack. Failures can be avoided for a while by padding the area you are parking, parking in different spots and if the driveway is level only partially applying the jacks.

However if you enjoy his company as he obviously enjoys yours the eventual deterioration of the driveway may be worth it.
I agree if you can equally distribute the weight between the wheels and the jacks it should be ok. Seems like if you purchased some 2"x 12"x 6' and let him drive up on them it would distribute the weight better?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 5" thick concrete driveway has developed several cracks after parking our ~ 30,000lb two axle Discovery on it for no more than a week at a time.