Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Parking heavy coach on 4" concrete

My nephew is planning to buy a house and wants to install a 50 amp outlet near his driveway so we can visit more often and be comfortable in the coach. I surely appreciate his kind offer and told him I would pay for the 50 amp outlet install.

My concern is the driveway. It is a nice house built in the late 1960's and it has a beautiful concrete drive with a pea gravel surface. The driveway looks pristine (maybe it was redone.... not sure). The seller says it is 4" thick.

I don't want to crack his driveway. My coach has three axles so weight is distributed pretty well and I have air leveling so no jacks to put a lot of weight on small areas. Will a 4" concrete drive support a 40,000 lb coach?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

It would probably depend how well the dirt is compacted under the concrete and how well the cement is reinforced. And, weghts on each wheel, etc.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our previous coach was a converted MCI (bus conversion) it was 40' and weighed around 35,000 and had a tag axle. We installed a large driveway about a year prior to purchasing the bus and I didn't think I would need anymore than a 4" pour. Well about 2 weeks after I parked the bus on the driveway I notices tiny hairline cracks running out from the bus to the side of the driveway. We immediately got the bus off the driveway and the cracks grew a little but not too much.

I agree with the previous post in that it is just as important on what the base is underneath and how compacted it is. We have since moved and our 40,000 plus lbs, coach seems quite content on the current driveway but it appears to be over 5" on the sides and must have some solid compacted base underneath.

I would park on it and watch it closely before putting in any power and if you see any hairline cracks get off asap.

That sounds like a pretty great Nephew wanting his uncle to come visit enough to put in 50 amp service for his uncle or else you are one cool uncle.. Either way I am impressed.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

If you wanted to go to the trouble, you could put either 2x12's down or
plywood to spread the weight around.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The odds are high it will damage the drive.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

You could have them ask the selling agent to follow up with the building department to see what the plan called for.

Does not hurt to ask...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

If the PCC has wire mesh in it, you may have a chance. If not, the contractor would have had to do a very good job compacting the subgrade. As suggested, some 2x12s under all the tires may reduce damage.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

I'm thinking you can contact the county regarding those original thickness specs. directly? That info should have been on the building permit.

If it's 4" I can show you some pics of why you wouldn't want to try driving a DP on it. I had some work done on our driveway prior to getting the coach we have now, and that was all done in 4" (no clue at the time that it was ever going to have that kind of weight on it). Ours is 24K with 65% of that weight on the rear axle, and has just destroyed the concrete in an area from 2-3' in all directions from where the rear tires sit. Underneath the concrete is undisturbed compacted sand.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

Like someone else said you can't know for sure, too many unknown variables....compaction, base, PSI, Rebar,,,age...etc....I would go for it, if the work in general looks like quality and the surface looks sound.....
Old 09-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Was a concrete contractor for 35 years so that doesn't mean I know anything about this but I will give you my opinion?
1. You should never park anything heavy on new concrete for at least 28 days. That is the minimum cure time. At this time is should be at minimum 2800 psi for hardnest.
2, Wire mesh and rebar will not stop concrete from cracking. I state this in all our contracts. What it does is prevent separations.
3, Base prep is huge. We use a minimum of 4" base for patios and 6" or more for driveways.
4. Where you live will make a difference too. If the concrete is going through a freeze thaw situation then the chance of cracking is greater.
5. I would go with 6" concrete, 6x6 10x10 wire mesh and have fun. By the way, this will crack in time too. Just the way it is.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #11

What type of jacks?

We drop our kick down jacks and place 2 x 6 flat under them just as spacer so when air bags settle the rig drops down onto the jacks.

Weight on 8 places instead of 4 and jacks likely more than tires but further from edges.

Was already cracked but not chsnging.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What type of jacks?

We drop our kick down jacks and place 2 x 6 flat under them just as spacer so when air bags settle the rig drops down onto the jacks.

Weight on 8 places instead of 4 and jacks likely more than tires but further from edges.

Was already cracked but not chsnging.
Tony this is the OP's first post, emphasis added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My nephew is planning to buy a house and wants to install a 50 amp outlet near his driveway so we can visit more often and be comfortable in the coach. I surely appreciate his kind offer and told him I would pay for the 50 amp outlet install.

My concern is the driveway. It is a nice house built in the late 1960's and it has a beautiful concrete drive with a pea gravel surface. The driveway looks pristine (maybe it was redone.... not sure). The seller says it is 4" thick.

I don't want to crack his driveway. My coach has three axles so weight is distributed pretty well and I have air leveling so no jacks to put a lot of weight on small areas. Will a 4" concrete drive support a 40,000 lb coach?
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not take the chance with someone else's driveway...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #14

Our coach is 34000 lbs. Our drive way is 4 inches and our coach is cracking the drive way. I will need to replace our driveway soon. I place 2X12x24 inches under the jacks and this did not stop the cracking.