Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
I hope all is well. How did you fare with the hurricane?

Tim and Linda
2017 Fleetwood Bounder 36H, Honda CRV toad
Keystone Passport (2 yrs), Forrest River R-Pod (4 months)
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #16
Never ride out a hurricane in a motor home or trailer. Try to park Rv under a canopy at a church or anything like that and find someone who will let you in their home or building. In a really bad storm don't worry about MH your life is more important

brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Parking in a hurricane

This hurricane could be seen coming for many days. Plus, even if caught by this particular approaching storm, a two hour drive inland anywhere on its path would get you out of Hurricaine and tropical storm force winds. I don't get it. There is noes use to get "caught" in a hurricaine in a vehicle that moves.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #18
I would just pack up and leave..........forget riding it out.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #19
x2. I would just pack up and leave. You had plenty of warning.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Into the wind the windshield may take a hit from debris if there is any but rear end into the wind means any roof vent covers and air conditioners are facing the wrong direction, not aerodynamic, and will catch the high winds and water. They are designed to take wind and water from the front.
I agree. Doesn't make sense to me to have the wind hit from behind. Windshield may suffer but i'd think there are more items (antenna, vents, and rooftop ac coils) that have a better chance of faring worse off in 65 mph winds along with debris that will be blowing by.

And a bit off topic i suppose but,,, unless the OP is some kind of weather chaser, i wonder why he would even consider taking this chance? Hope he made it ok...
03 Itasca Sunova, 8.1 Workhorse
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #21
I may be wrong but the first thing I think of is insurance. I live in a hurricane zone.
2001 Itasca Suncruiser 37'
Texbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Old Radios facing into the wind. I had a bathroom vent cover blow off while it was tight down from a cross wind on I-90 so I would think that facing any other way than forward into the wind one is risking vent covers . Aerodynamics, what little there is in a square RV, are for winds comings from the front to rear. As far as slides I take the slides in during a severe thunderstorm to protect the toppers. Facing away from the wind might protect the windshield but if you have a DP with a rear radiator aren't you exposing that to damage? I think the most important thing is to face the smallest sides into the wind as with jacks down or not getting hit with winds broadside one has upped the risks for rollover. The jacks up or down question my gut says jacks up as if you are stiffer I think you will rollover easier.
Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #23
Some one mentioned insurance...staying in the path of a severe storm with the amount of warning people had with this one could be "an assumption of risk" an insurance claims term for a loss resulting from an intentional act. It can be argued that a prudent person would have moved away from the coast. Lawyers would have fun with that one
Dave & Sheryl Rambeau
2011 Itasca Meridian 39'
Rambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I would face it west and start driving,even if it's only 20MPH,that can't be no more risk than just setting there.
Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #25
OP..you asked a great question and started useful dialog. I hope that you, your family, and coach are okay.

When and if at all possible, please let us know that you are okay. You may want to share some actual experiences with all of us so we can get some first hand knowledge.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2015 my wife and I were caught in Texas during some of the worst weather the state had seen in years. Going east toward Georgia (our actual destination) the weather was brutal until we hit Atlanta. To get off the road we would seek out a campground that provided us with as much shelter as was available. Slider in and levelers up. We also parked as close to the laundry or bath house as possible in the event we had to bail for safe cover. Wind direction was impossible to determine. It was swirling from all directions. Heading west on our return trip tropical depression Bob made life on the road miserable. We saw more towns flooded, bridges out and local waters over their banks than at any time in our years of travel. We were exposed to horrible weather until we cleared southern New Mexico. Our motorhome suffered a good deal of damage. Some insurance covered, some it didn't. The storms made safe passage impossible from I40 and north all the way to the Texas coast. Had it not been necessary to get to Atlanta be never would have risked the trip. It was an 8200 mile three month journey we'll never forget. To head into a hurricane and ride it out is crazy. I only hope they made it through the storm OK.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #27
Just noticed the OP's signature line. I'm betting he headed out with the other rig and had to leave the motorhome behind.
03 Itasca Sunova, 8.1 Workhorse
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 AM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Head West at best speed Make for the High ground.
Slides in, especially if you have slide toppers. Point the MH ESE and hope for the best.

Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote