Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Parking lights come on when applying brakes

I have a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star on Spartan Chassis. Just started having a problem that when I apply the brakes, the brake lights illuminate and the parking lights illuminate on the front and rear. I also get a steady beep from the turn signal beeper. (I am sure that is not the proper name for it) It will do this with the ignition in the off position also. The brake lights have there own bulb, separate from the parking lights. All of the lights work as they should until you apply the brakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Has any work been done recently to the electrical trailer connector? Either way, check for a short in the wiring there at the bumper plug. There may be some corrosion shorting two circuits together. The older plugs had a metal hosing instead of plastic and would also short out more easily with age.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Nothing has been done to it. It has a 4 prong connector that connects to the round plug. I disconnected it earlier and nothing changed. I will check further though. Thank You
Old 09-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Try turning the turn signals on to one side. When the signal lamp is flashing do the parking lamps flash also? If not, turn the signals to the other side. Do the parking lamps flash now?
If the parking lamps illuminate with the turn signals on either side you have a grounding problem in the rear light assembly on that side, a corroded bulb or lamp socket.
This is true only if the brake lamps and signal lamps are using the same bulb to light and the same light is also a parking or running lamp.
Post a picture of your rear lamp(s) to give us more to work from.
I am working under the assumption you have already eliminated the trailer plug wiring.
If your turn signal flasher is clicking you are getting a voltage feed back from somewhere. I wouldn't suspect the turn signal switch just yet but it is a remote possibility.
Lynn
Old 09-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Try turning the turn signals on to one side. When the signal lamp is flashing do the parking lamps flash also? If not, turn the signals to the other side. Do the parking lamps flash now?
If the parking lamps illuminate with the turn signals on either side you have a grounding problem in the rear light assembly on that side, a corroded bulb or lamp socket.
This is true only if the brake lamps and signal lamps are using the same bulb to light and the same light is also a parking or running lamp.
Post a picture of your rear lamp(s) to give us more to work from.
I am working under the assumption you have already eliminated the trailer plug wiring.
If your turn signal flasher is clicking you are getting a voltage feed back from somewhere. I wouldn't suspect the turn signal switch just yet but it is a remote possibility.
Lynn
I had a similar issue on an older model GM car once, it turned out to be the turn signal switch, but like posted above, try the other diagnostic techniques first.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Don't forget to check all of your grounds. I had a similar prob and found one of the taillight grounds wasn't making a good connection.
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

There is three separate bulbs and lens on each side in the rear. Brake, turn and backup. I will get a picture tomorrow. I have checked the trailer plug but I will check again also. I don't hear anything from the turn signal flasher but it would be hard to hear over the beeper that beeps when the turn signal is activated. That is the same beeper that is making the continuous beep when the brakes are applied. Thanks for helping.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you would check your tail light bulbs you will find that one is either installed backwards or the element has come loose and shorted against the tail light element. Thses bulb have two elements one for tail lights and one for brake lights.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have recently replaced any, no matter how far removed, bulbs ,especially if they are the blade type LED, try putting back the original bulb. All my problems at the toad and rear lights were solved by returning to OEM after having tried LED front turn signals and
an LED compatible blinker module.
Just another example of how I haven't learned "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
If you would check your tail light bulbs you will find that one is either installed backwards or the element has come loose and shorted against the tail light element. Thses bulb have two elements one for tail lights and one for brake lights.
I tried removing the brake light bulbs but it did not make any difference. With no bulbs in the brake lights, the parking lights in the front still illuminate and i still get the turn signal beep when the brake is applied. The beep is continuous not intermittent as it would be with the blinker. I hope that I am explaining that right. Do you think it could be one of the other bulbs? Thank You for trying to help.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
If you have recently replaced any, no matter how far removed, bulbs ,especially if they are the blade type LED, try putting back the original bulb. All my problems at the toad and rear lights were solved by returning to OEM after having tried LED front turn signals and
an LED compatible blinker module.
Just another example of how I haven't learned "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
I have not replaced any bulbs but I do understand. I have learned some lessons the hard way also. I am usually pretty good at fixing things but this has me stumped. It will probably be something very simple once its found. Just have to find it. LOL Thanks for helping.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseason View Post
check all of your grounds
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #13

You said you had 3 lights on each side. Are 2 of the lenses red and 1 red with a white center for back up lights? Or is there a red lens, an amber lens and the back up lamp lens?
Lynn
Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You said you had 3 lights on each side. Are 2 of the lenses red and 1 red with a white center for back up lights? Or is there a red lens, an amber lens and the back up lamp lens?
Lynn
From top down, amber, red and clear on bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	819AB61E-E4F8-4CB4-B761-180789ED5E7F.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	178313  

Tags
brake, brakes, light, lights