Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

parking my rig!?

hi there once again.

i sure do love the help i have already received. thanks

so as my start date approaches quickly i am thinking more and more about things that i will need to know.
i have a 40' DP with 14' trailer in tow.
i have not looked at rv parks, state parks, koa etc etc. (other then online)
i am sure i am not the biggest out there traveling around and i would assume RV parks are prepared for big stuff.

but i have heard the term "pull through" in my research and not sure what that exactly means.

so what do i need to know about parking this big rig and what terms should i know for when i contact RV parks.

is a pull thru what i think it is -- where i simply pull thru and dont have to back up. my plan is to never back up for the 1 year on the road!! LOL

thanks in advance for your input.

ps i have been out and about in the DP practicing my driving and parking in wal mart parking lots and getting fuel at different stops. so far so good!

thanks
sam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
hi there once again.

i sure do love the help i have already received. thanks

so as my start date approaches quickly i am thinking more and more about things that i will need to know.
i have a 40' DP with 14' trailer in tow.
i have not looked at rv parks, state parks, koa etc etc. (other then online)
i am sure i am not the biggest out there traveling around and i would assume RV parks are prepared for big stuff.

but i have heard the term "pull through" in my research and not sure what that exactly means.

so what do i need to know about parking this big rig and what terms should i know for when i contact RV parks.

is a pull thru what i think it is -- where i simply pull thru and dont have to back up. my plan is to never back up for the 1 year on the road!! LOL

thanks in advance for your input.

ps i have been out and about in the DP practicing my driving and parking in wal mart parking lots and getting fuel at different stops. so far so good!

thanks
sam
That's correct. Don't count on the second part of that. Sooner or later, probably sooner, you need to back up. It's not that bad.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Pull through is a catch all phrase used by many RV parks and can mean different things to different operators. Trees or bushes, narrow lanes, short lanes, steep angle pull outs, angled sites, are all conditions you sometimes find with parks that say they have pull through sites.

But, fear not. I've never found a RV park in 8 years of RV'ing that was difficult to get out of if you find their facilities are inappropriate for your rig. I never make reservations so when I drive into a park, I'll go into the office and tell them I have a 37' Class A and ask what they have for me. The staff is always knowledgeable about the size of RV they can park. When they recommend a space or spaces, I'll walk over and check them out first. Just adds a few minutes to your park time.

And of course, often you can SEE from the office if the spaces are appropriate.

The thing that made all this easiest for me was to plan my daily drive so I'd arrive in an area between 3:30pm and 5:30pm depending on time of year. Parking in the dark is no fun, no fun at all. Even with the help the office can usually find to help you park. And, of course, having a good mapping program and WiFi access so you can scope out the area you might be at during those times for RV parks. One doesn't fit, move on to the next one down the road.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is that an enclosed trailer? Pull thru's may not be long enough to leave your trailer hooked up, so make sure you have wheel chocks, jacks and locks dependant an how far it will be from your site, also becareful turing and backing, I've hit my ladder on the trailer backing and a friend of mine hits on sharp forward turns, of course this applies to enclosed trailers, get a feel hopefully you have a spotter, enjoy
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I think a 40' RV with a 14' trailer is going to be shorter overall than a 45' RV with a toad. I've seen very few advertised "pull through" spaces that would not accommodate that.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck with that plan of not backing up! Do you practice with your trailer and is that the issue with backing up, or is it just backing up that 40' rig. If backing up with trailer is a issue, I suggest you use smaller vehicle to practice with till you get the hang of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
The thing that made all this easiest for me was to plan my daily drive so I'd arrive in an area between 3:30pm and 5:30pm depending on time of year. Parking in the dark is no fun, no fun at all. .
Getting into a park early in that time period seems to put you a little ahead of most travelers. You may have a better selection of sites. With Google or Bing maps you can get a good overhead view of possible campgrounds when planning.

Enjoy...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

I like pull through spots when en-route from point a to point b, just stopping in for the night. Otherwise dropping and backing in to an otherwise nice spot no issue at all here.

I would suggest you also acclimate yourself to the term 'big rig accessible' when reading reviews regarding a park you might be interested in visiting? Reading reviews a VERY good plan that can save one some pretty unpleasant surprises? Like bridges with weight limits that are half of what your rig weighs? Excessively steep entrances/exits? Many more potential surprises for the unwary out there. I hate finding those the hard way!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

thanks everyone!

as for the backing up thing. it was kind of a tongue and cheek statement. i have been driving my truck with 12' trailer for years and back up all the time.

i have already backed up the DP many many times since i got it a month ago.

yes backing up the DP with the trailer is not something i am looking forward too!
i have my daughter with me and she can be the spotter for those times i need it.
not really worried but true i do plan to try to never have to back up.

i dont want to be unhooking the trailer as we will be moving a lot
i will be in 45 states over 10 months! i will be boon docking or dry docking most nights and the occasional weekend at an RV park.
some times just stopping by to fill up and dump other times to set up camp.

i am a little bit nervous that i am so big that i will find too many problems traveling and in the back of my head wondering if i should have gone with a class C LOL. plus i cant imagine living with my daughter in one room class c.

but that is just me worrying when i really shouldn't be. i know once i am on the road and get 5-10 thousand miles under my belt that first month or two it will all be old school to me.

thanks for the input and advice.
cant wait to get on the road.

sam