Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Parking trailer in rv site

Do most parks let or have room for trailers. We have a Honda pilot and will need to get a full size trailer. Won't be able to tow 4 down.
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some parks would permit it, some will not, some sites are not large enough, but most parks have a separate area where you could park your trailer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the parks I have stayed at will not fit an extra car and trailer. I suspect they would be more then happy to charge you extra to store your trailer though.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

What year Pilot? We tow our '05 4-down with no problems.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you are towing a full sized trailer with a Honda Pilot, would guess that your rig is pretty large, so the MH will fill the park slot(?) If not, most parks will let you keep what fits at your site (in big letters "WHAT FITS WITHIN YOUR SITE).

They make these rules because there's lots folks that just parallel park their Toad in the driving lanes leaving room for another car to pass by...fine, until a BIG OL" motohome comes driving by.

So, most parks have a separate parking area and/or storage area for vehicles and they may or may not charge you to use the parking lot.

This is the kind of things you can ask if/when you call ahead for a reservation.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. It's 2010 I called Honda they said absolutely not able to tow 4 dn. Trying to get wife to trade in for wrangler not having much luck. If I could do 4 down then I can tandem my side by side. I'm looking at the blue ox carrier for the motorcycle this way we will have all the toys!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Have you considered the Jeep Liberty? It has the transfer case to allow you to tow four down but is much easier for the ladies to get in and out of.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #8

No we haven't I would like to have wrangler for trail riding plus it's a convertible !!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
Do most parks let or have room for trailers. We have a Honda pilot and will need to get a full size trailer. Won't be able to tow 4 down.
Have you looked into a Tow Dolly? They are a lot smaller than a trailer and most spaces are big enough to stow them.
Mastertow Tow Dollies the model 80 has surge brakes.

Again you need to check with Honda but most cars can be towed on a dolly.

Dick
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towboater View Post
Thanks everyone. It's 2010 I called Honda they said absolutely not able to tow 4 dn. Trying to get wife to trade in for wrangler not having much luck. If I could do 4 down then I can tandem my side by side. I'm looking at the blue ox carrier for the motorcycle this way we will have all the toys!!!
Wrangler, wife, wrangler, wife, wrangler, wife - such decisions we're called upon to make.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep the Pilot.
Buy a Jeep TJ (97 to 06) - basic model is fine for trail riding - use it as toy and toad.

I'm lucky - wife likes our Wrangler. But it's not her daily driver.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I travel with a utility trailer that carries my kayaks and bikes. What I have found is a 50/50 mix of allowing us to park the trailer on site. Of those that have not allowed, half wanted me to pay extra for storage space any where from $25-$100 per month. The more expensive place I used a self storage for half the price. Need to call ahead and do your homework.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many cars towed 4-down every day where the maker says' Absolutly not" and for good reason.

So how do the people doing it do it?

Remco towing makes devices that basically turn your car into a trailer.. They have a slight side advantage too.. If it's in towed mode a smart thief may know that all you need to do is pull a couple pins, hop in and fire her up.

With the proper Remco add-ons, the thief can do just that, put the pedal to the metal and go... noplace, very fast. (The car won't move) This is because it the device converts it to a trailer.. I prefer the axle lock or drive shaft disconnedt to the lube pump.

There are still a few cars though, that can not be towed, even with modification.. This is because of either brakes (electric vehicles) or suspension (Some Lincolns for example)
Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #14

I know people who tow late model Pilots (and Odysseys, same chassis) with no problem. For safety, every few hundred miles start the engine and run through the gears, then end by going from D to N. No problems.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote