Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Passenger side slide - do you regret that?

For those of you who chose rigs with slides on the passenger side living room area, do you regret that? We are concerned that it will interfere with sitting outside under the awning since the slides take up most of that area.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Well, at the risk of chiming in not directly on point, but indirectly I suppose.........one of our requirements when shopping was to NOT have a slide in that living room area on the curb side.

Looking back, I am soooo happy we don't. I think if ya spent more time inside, then maybe. But with the bedroom slide (further back) out, and the awning out, it's just a nice niche.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

That was one of our preferred criteria as well (no slide on the passenger side other than the bedroom). But alas, it's starting to look like one of those compromises and trying to decide how unhappy it might make us!!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

We are full-timers and spend way more time inside than out. We don't notice any problem when sitting under our big awning and love all the interior room we have.

No regrets here.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

We have a pretty big family, so having four slides is GREAT for inside space. We have opposing coaches that both turn into beds so its really nice.

However, we are also avid college football fans and spend most weekends tailgating at home or away games. During this time I wish the slide was not there to just give us a couple more feet for outside enjoyment.

Catch 22 I guess..

As we explore options for our "next" coach I find myself gravitating to a two or three slide configuration. Even though I know our family will be smaller down the road, I am fairly confident our outside usage and needs will only grow.. lol

So I guess in the long run it's all about what works for you and yours..

Enjoy,
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We are relative newcomers to the family of FullTimers, but we are glad that we have the living room slide-outs. Living within such close quarters is quite an adjustment from the stick-and-brick. And since it is just my wife and I, we don't take up a lot of space on the outside. Yes, we lose about 66sf of area outside, but we are just two people and manage to do OK with the rest of the earth that is left. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

I'll accept the loss of awning coverage for the benefit of the interior spaciousness of opposing slides. However, I see new units now with the full wall slide on the passenger side with the awning attached to that slide -- the best of both worlds!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Love my space inside with slide on PS. We tailgate during football season and when I need to have more space under the awning due to rain for example, I just bring in my kitchen slide. I can function just fine with it in. But, for other times I am thankful to have the space inside, especially when we have visitors inside or grandkids staying over.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

We've got four slides, two on each side. Yes, we do lose some outdoor space under the awning, but have learned to live with. Once, because of friends visiting, we just closed the front passenger slide to give us more room outside for a few hours. We realized that we still had more interior space with the slide closed that we had in our SOB coach.

We do spend as much time outdoors as we can. We have a screened room that we frequently set up to give us some shade and bug protection. It works for us.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

I have had the same concern. We spend the vast majority of our time outdoors under the awning. I would think that a passenger side slide would cut down on the space under the awning and just be in the way.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
We often close the dining slide on the passenger side as we have ample room. Mostly want to be sure I don't run into the slide when I am outside...Ouch!
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are fulltimers. DW takes meds that make her very temp sensitive, so we tend to spend more time inside than out.

We have 3 slides, but only one on the pax side. However, it's the kitchen- about 13 ft long, right in the middle of the coach. But it only extends about 16 in, so it doesn't really bother us when outside
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #13

I was concerned with that as well when we looked at our Ventana. We have 4 slides and with the kitchen slide out, it does take up some room but we've learned to live with it! Like Bill, we can always pull it in if we need the space outside.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I'll accept the loss of awning coverage for the benefit of the interior spaciousness of opposing slides. However, I see new units now with the full wall slide on the passenger side with the awning attached to that slide -- the best of both worlds!
Yep, we have the best of both worlds with our 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M! It has two slides on the driver's side (bedroom and dining/living) and a full wall slide on the passenger side. We love the opposing slides because of the interior spaciousness as we like to entertain and just to have room to spread out with the two of us. AND the full wall slide on the passenger side has the awning attached to the slide so we have TONS of outside room under the awning!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide