Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

passengers

my motorhome has only 2 seatbelts installed in it . It has seating for six more . Is it legal for anyone to travel in those seats without seatbelts ? . The unit is a 40 ft. safari 2000
jerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerr View Post
my motorhome has only 2 seatbelts installed in it . It has seating for six more . Is it legal for anyone to travel in those seats without seatbelts ? . The unit is a 40 ft. safari 2000
Yes and No. It all depends on the state. See the summary table at Seatbelt Laws Some states have exemptions from seat belt laws for RV's so that it would be "legal" to have passengers in the back without seatbelts (e.g. Florida and Oklahoma). Probably not a good idea, though, as the passengers become flying objects in the event of a sudden stop (RV's are not exempt from the laws of physics). A number of states have an exemption for "vehicles not required to be equipped with seatbelts." Not sure if RV's are "required" to be equipped with seatbelts. But, in most states, it would probably be illegal to have passengers traveling without a seatbelt.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check under the sofa. I believe you will find seatbelts tucked in the back. If you have a dinette, most dinettes have seatbelts on the forward facing seats.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You likely have at least two more seat belts and maybe 4 more, as ga traveler described.

Most states exempt motorhome passengers behind the driving area from requiring seat belts. Note that school buses don't have them either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Check under the sofa. I believe you will find seatbelts tucked in the back.
That's where mine are.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Winnebago has two seat belts for the passengers and one on each captains chair. The passenger belts are on the couch. There aren't any on the dinette.

When I asked why there are so few, a Winnebago customer service guy told me they install seat belts for the number of people the rig is designed to sleep.
One sleeper on the couch, one on the dinette, and two in the bed. So we have four altogether.

I won't let anyone ride without a seatbelt. I walked away from a private (company) airplane crash that totaled the aircraft and I am convinced the seat belt saved me.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Seat belts on mine are the same as above: front seats and two behind the sofa. The wall next to the dinette seats has lables saying "this seat not intended for occupancy when the vehicle is in motion" (Must be the company attorney's statement just in case)
Safe travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

In addition to the two cockpit chairs, I have three belts on the sofa and one on the recliner.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The seatbelt laws in most states read that every seatbelt in the vehicle must be used, and it is not a violation for a passenger to not have a seatbelt if all the seatbelts are in use. Some states, such as Wyoming, take it a little further and say that children must be seatbelted before adults, so all belts other than the driver must be filled with the kids first, then adults get the leftover belts. It is not a violation to have unseatbelted children as long as children occupy all the open seatbelts in the vehicle.

This makes sense, because a state would be very hesitant to pass a law that makes it illegal for a family of 6 to own anything other than a large SUV or minivan...
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #10

My 2007 Travel Supreme 45ft. Alante only had 2 seat belts, one for the driver and one for the copilot. I always thought it strange that there were not more. My new coach has 8 seat belts in it!!! One extreme to the other I guess.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

The safety "nannies" have gone too far, as is often the case. When our four kids were young (3 through 10), we had a 1970 Mercury Colony Park wagon. SOP on long trips was all the middle and rear seats folded into the floor and all four of them on sleeping bags with their toys.

Never had a wreck, and the "kids" are now late 30's and 40's and absolutely paranoid about seat belts for their kids.

Frankly, I think MH seat belts are a joke, even the front seats in our "A" are only lap belts and are attached to the seat frames. The weak link is the seat fore/aft adjustment system which sure wouldn't hold together in a high "g" decel.

The barrel chair (behind the front passenger) is the only reasonable belt and it's bolted to the floor. The belts on the sofa are anchored to a longitudinal steel tube that's part of the sofa structure, in the slide-out.

Before my retirement, I was invloved in FAA certification of VIP airplane seating. Having seen what the test dummies that were sitting on a side-facing sofa looked like after a 16g decel, I thnk being dead would be preferable to living with the injuries. A longitudinal deceleration of 16g is a pretty harsh test. I don't know what deceleration rates would be typical in an RV crash.